6 months to 1 year of PAID maternity leave

Forum: Due Date Club of June 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By Demetria
  • 3 Post By Mel S
  • 1 Post By TeamMom2008
  • 1 Post By AtomicMama
  • 1 Post By Missymoos
  • 1 Post By Halloween81
  • 2 Post By mrsdaiwa24
  • 1 Post By Demetria
  • 1 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 1 Post By Social Halfwit
  • 1 Post By dee.76

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of June 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2013, 08:11 AM
trusting and believing
in Canada

Really?

must be nice...

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
December 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I am still trying to figure out why we only have a measly 6wk maternity leave here!!! At least it should be 3-6mths! If I would have had at least 6 months, even if unpaid, I would have went back to work instead of deciding to stay at home.
moxiemommie and MrsPalumbo like this.
December 20th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Super Mommy
Yes we do...

It all depends on where you work though, there is a reduction in pay but many employers have a top-up program of some sort in place (you do have to return to work though for the equal amount of time you were off or pay the difference). I work for the Government which has good benefits so I will have fairly close to my normal salary for the year...one major perk for working for the Government.

I cannot believe that you only get a few weeks in the states...it doesn't make sense to me...
Demetria, Fall and moxiemommie like this.
December 20th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Super Mommy
Sweden too!
Fall likes this.

December 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
It's a trade off. Higher taxes, but longer paid maternity leave (and other government funded benefits, of course).

I agree, it would be nice, but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd want to trade more taxes and higher expenses. It's a toss up

That said, I do agree with Demi. I'd be guaranteed to go back, and likely full time, if I could take 6-12 months unpaid and have my job still.
Demetria likes this.

December 20th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Yup, 12 months! Four months of Maternity Leave, followed by 8 months of Parental Leave...and you can split the parental leave with your partner. In Ontario though, you have to have worked 1000 hours in the previous 12 months to qualify, otherwise you may not qualify at all or only be eligible for a reduced amount of time. You also do not qualify if you work for yourself.

I do not work for the government and I am over the salary limit so my benefits equate to about half my income My work will top off my benefits to equal my salary for only the first 6 weeks (8 weeks if you have a C-section)...so not a lot but every penny helps!

As it is though, unless DH a) gets a ton of overtime for the year, or b) finds a higher paying job - I may have to go back in 6 months instead of 12...
moxiemommie likes this.
December 20th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Halloween81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here you ony have to work 600 hours in the 12 monts before. In Canada you get paid 55% of your wage for a year and your employer has to keep your job. I dont mind paying higher taxes at all. The benefits are worth it.

I don't work at a job where they top up my benefits but DH has a really good job and I will take the full year. Because we are moving soon I will not be going back to my old job.
moxiemommie likes this.
Chemical pregnancy - January 9, 2010
Miscarriage at 10 weeks - April 21, 2010
Miscarriage at 7 weeks - October 22, 2010
Miscarriage at 10 weeks - May 14, 2011
Miscarriage at 17 weeks - December 7, 2011 (My sweet little Joshua had Achondrogenesis type 2)
Miscarriage at 5 weeks - June 5, 2013

All test results normal. Reason for RPL unknown.

Annabel born healthy at 35 weeks - May 22, 2014
December 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I can't complain too much. The timing of this little one couldn't be better -- I'll miss the last couple of weeks of the school year (which will be paid) and then I'll have the whole summer off for summer vacation anyway. Baby will be 12 or 13 weeks old when I go back.

I know it's a trade off -- longer paid maternity leave for higher taxes -- but I'd take it. The situation that American working mothers finds themselves in is just horrible -- return after 6 - 8 paid weeks off or take more unpaid time off and jeopardize your position. It stinks.
Demetria and moxiemommie like this.
December 20th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
There is also short term disability, that some jobs may provide, that will pay you a portion of your salary. I signed up for it with Ava and the benefit was also for if you find yourself pregnant and out of work on maternity leave, I would have still gotten paid. I paid for the STD and they found a way to screw me over!

They considered my pregnancy a pre-exisiting condition because I signed up for it at the beginning of the enrollment period, to which date, I was already pregnant. I was livid when I went to collect my benefit and they denied me. I waisted money paying for it, only to receive nothing. And there was nothing in the policy initially from the info I read at work when I signed up that I have to have it in place *before* I actually conceived! And I was really careful to look for that. The info that we had was very limited on it otherwise I would not have signed up.
moxiemommie likes this.
December 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
It's 2 YEARS in some EU nations!

I've been fortunate compared to most US mamas. I got short term disability with DD. With that, accrued over time, and sick leave I had 12 weeks paid. This time I'll have until late August paid and then ease back into work but at full pay. My pay is crap as a grad student but at least I've been lucky with the timing of both kids.
moxiemommie likes this.

December 20th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
Sweden is one of my dream countries. If I could go back in time and have babies anywhere.. Sweden is where I would go.

I wish there was paid leave in the US... I don't work, but my DF would seriously kill for just a couple weeks paid leave to help out when baby is born... he is already so upset he will miss time when the baby is new, since we can't afford for him to take the unpaid leave.
moxiemommie likes this.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

December 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here in Australia, your employer has to give you 12 months UNPAID leave and still keep your position for you... We also now have 18 weeks paid parental leave paid by the govt at minimum wage... They ALSo now have 2 weeks partner parental leave...

I will be taking the whole 12 months with this one... I went back to work when Kaelan was 2 weeks old last time.. It was a really bad idea for me which I regret totally... I missed him terribly... We didn't bf well etc... So this time I'm taking the 12 months...
moxiemommie likes this.

December 21st, 2013, 05:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow. You know we struggled so much when Ryan was born, we were on WIC, Foodstamps, and medical. Brian had been laid off and I was unemployed and seeking work the whole time. BUT Im almost glad I didnt have a job because it took me 7 1/2 weeks to heal ( I tore slightly) with Luke I got lucky I was back to myself within 2 1/2 weeks, and was able to go back to work at 6 weeks. But if that could happen to me with Ry, I wonder how many women its happened to that had to g back at 6week...

December 21st, 2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran
Wow, that's awesome! In Texas you get zero paid leave, but up to 12 weeks unpaid (due to federal mandate). I'm lucky that I can save up a little sick and vacation time, and the short term disability insurance I pay for will cover the remaining time at 60% until I'm clear for work at 6 weeks. Many people are not that lucky. I would definitely pay higher taxes for everyone to have the ability to stay home with their babies, if only for 12 weeks.
December 21st, 2013, 08:29 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I will get 6 weeks unpaid... Awesome I know... -.-

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
December 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Marissa's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa's Mommy
At my work you get 6 weeks off but only paid for what sick time you have accrued. Then your position is held guaranteed for the 6 weeks but can take up to 12 but may have to find another job within the company if your boss won't hold your exact position that long. I think I have about 10 weeks of sick time accrued and I might just take all 12. Going to be my last child maybe and can't get that time back so going to just go for it.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search