Nursing or not? Any tips for those that are?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you planning on nursing or hitting up the formula/goats milk? All opinions, plans welcome
I am really hoping to nurse this kid until they start eating baby food/solids. LOL. But Ive definitly had troubles. This maybe , so you are warned.
With Ryan, our first, I tried to nurse him. He would NOT take. He'd do a little, here and there. When I had him he was 6lbs 13 oz (And yes he was full term at 40wks and 4 days!) He went down to 6.5 by the time I brought him home. The next few days at home ( we were doing that "tube feeding" thing - not a tube in his stomach! Its like mock nursing to get them to latch on- for anyone that was curious) So a few days after he was about 5.15, so I said screw it gave him a bottle and pumped for three months until I dried up. I tried.

With luke, he was an angel. Total dream kid. I could rotate between booby and bottle.(what I had pumped) He didnt care as long as he was eating. my problem was the tatas couldnt take it. They bled. yes bled. I couldnt wear a shirt or a bra they were so raw. It was awful. I had to carry a super soft blanket with me, unless I had ppl over then I had to wear a shirt- I swear it was a chore. Painful. I would actually cry and sometimes yell when he nursed. I remember one night I actually cried because he wanted to eat again, that was the night I gave in to the formula. I nursed and pumped for two months, then rotated between formula and bbmilk. I finally just stopped nursing all together, but pumped until I dried up. So luke was about 5-6 months.
Any advice to help "prepare" them or tips for when they get sore from nursing would be very appreciated. Id really like to, but I want to enjoy my time with the bby too.
For first timers, sorry if I scared you! It really isnt like that for everyone. My friend nursed up until her son was 14 months, first baby and did fine.
Justjessie likes this.

October 8th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I will be nursing. I just weaned Ava and she is 2+ I would have kept nursing but it was really messing up my cycle, the month I weaned was BFP month! She was nursing a ton including sometimes at night so it was getting to be a bit much, then I got her down to only nursing during her 1 nap and to go to sleep at night, then I eliminated the nap, finally got rid of the last night session she still asks for 'milkies' here and there but I tell her she is a big girl now and doesn't need milkies anymore and she goes off to play.
moxiemommie likes this.
October 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I have no experience since this is my first baby. However, I plan to nurse. I'm hoping to nurse until solids are introduced and would ultimately like to make it until the baby is a year old.

Your stories don't scare me, I've heard them all. And I'm realistic. I know that sometimes nursing just doesn't work out, and kids are still perfectly healthy. I want to keep an open mind, so that if nursing doesn't work out, I won't be too upset.

Props to you for wanting to give it a third try! I don't know if I'd be as brave!
moxiemommie likes this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

October 8th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran
I would like to nurse. With my first, I had A LOT of milk, but I didn't nurse (young & 19 years ago BFing wasn't being pushed). With my youngest I did, but I think I gave up too early thinking I wasn't producing enough. A couple years after his birth, I learned. I had really low prolactin levels & am wondering if that had anything to do with production. In the first 2 weeks, my nipples were sore, but after they were fine. I BF & supplemented for 5 months.

I will be watching this thread and doing tons of research.

Question, if anyone can answer. What do you do if you have an alcoholic beverage? Do you pump & dump?

Demi,

Did U start nursing on demand? Can you kind of explain "the process" & how you got into a groove nursing?
Demetria likes this.
October 8th, 2013, 04:13 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Definitely nursing here. My kids nursed to 15 months, 19 months, 26 months, and 29 months and we also delay solids/don't feed baby food.

I was very fortunate to develop a good nursing relationship with #3. She was in the NICU for 6 weeks and during that time I pumped and she was fed via gastric tube or bottle with pumped milk with human milk fortifier added. After she came home she was able to switch to nursing full-time right away in spite of only being 4lb, 2oz at 6 weeks old. It took a lot of trusting my instincts but she was a very healthy baby because of it.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
October 8th, 2013, 04:21 PM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan to nurse

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
October 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I hope to nurse, although I'm not going to lie - it kind of terrifies me!
October 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3maybe View Post
I would like to nurse. With my first, I had A LOT of milk, but I didn't nurse (young & 19 years ago BFing wasn't being pushed). With my youngest I did, but I think I gave up too early thinking I wasn't producing enough. A couple years after his birth, I learned. I had really low prolactin levels & am wondering if that had anything to do with production. In the first 2 weeks, my nipples were sore, but after they were fine. I BF & supplemented for 5 months.

I will be watching this thread and doing tons of research.

Question, if anyone can answer. What do you do if you have an alcoholic beverage? Do you pump & dump?

Demi,

Did U start nursing on demand? Can you kind of explain "the process" & how you got into a groove nursing?
Well honestly the key is support, to be surround by support is awesome, my mom was a big supporter although I did get a lot of ignorant comments from some family members, I ignored them and did what was best for my babies. DH was very supportive as well. Especially with me adjusting to nursing in public a baby that did not like to be covered. The good thing is, there is a lot more tolerance for nursing now vs years ago. I guess us breastfeeders stood up and demanded the ignorance stop. *Although I would never just pop a boob out in public where people could see skin because I am shy and modest, if they get flashed by an infant or toddler tugging at my shirt then oops, sorry. LOL

La Leche League, Kelly Mom, The leaky boob all great BFing resources.

As for your question, I started nursing in the hospital, after my C-section I didn't get to hold my baby right away, I had to spend 45mins-1hr in the recovery room, breastfeeding was instant bonding to me to make up for the fact that I didn't get to experience the normal bonding that comes instantly after a vaginal birth.

I nursed on demand because putting them on a schedule is not good since breast milk is quickly and easily digested, they get hungry quicker than Formula fed babies, which can be a chore in the early days but you get through it and do what you must. Also, taking a drink or having alcohol, I didn't. (boooo) Ava was unpredictable in her schedule and woke during the night for a long time so I didn't want to chance it. The stubborn girl would not take a bottle of expressed milk. She was a straight from the tap baby. lol I even had to skip out on certain meds and foods because I didn't want them getting into her system. Thats the hard part about nursing. Oh and you don't have to pump and dump, the alcohol will leave your milk the same way it leaves your system, the amount of time that takes depends on how much you have had to drink. There are milk test strips to test to see if there is any left in your milk.

Also, I had nipple issues, it had been a while since last I breastfed, and I even once scratched my nipples while quickly pulling my shirt down after nursing, it bled on top of already being sore. I had yeast that we kept passing back and forth to each other but after a few weeks, we were like a well oiled machine!

*sorry for the novel!
JillMama and 3maybe like this.

Last edited by Demetria; October 8th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
October 8th, 2013, 05:41 PM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
Yes I plan to nurse. Tucker and I struggled through 7 very difficult months. I hope to go longer with this baby. He was/is severely tongue tied. He will be having surgery to correct it soon. We had the anterior clipped when he was 2 weeks old but he also has a submucosal tongue tie that prevents him from eating solid food safely.

October 8th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Danielle80's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely plan to nurse. All of mine were, my youngest being the longest (2.5 yrs)
Demetria likes this.

October 8th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_zipre View Post
Yes I plan to nurse. Tucker and I struggled through 7 very difficult months. I hope to go longer with this baby. He was/is severely tongue tied. He will be having surgery to correct it soon. We had the anterior clipped when he was 2 weeks old but he also has a submucosal tongue tie that prevents him from eating solid food safely.

Oh my goodness! I hope his surgery goes well!! I have heard a lot of stories about tongue tied babies having trouble nursing and eating.
mrs_zipre likes this.
October 8th, 2013, 07:48 PM
LShumate1010's Avatar Super Mommy
Still nursing my 19 month old son and will nurse new baby as well. Would love to tandem!
October 9th, 2013, 05:32 AM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetria View Post
Oh my goodness! I hope his surgery goes well!! I have heard a lot of stories about tongue tied babies having trouble nursing and eating.
Thank you! We have an ENT check on Friday and will be scheduling his surgery. I am sure I will be a nervous wreck.

October 9th, 2013, 06:53 AM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan on nursing/pumping as long as I can. I have to work, so I know I have to be realistic. My mom and sister were not able to nurse due to low flow/latch issues, so I'm not sure if any of that is genetic, but I'm going to remain optimistic about it.

October 9th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I've nursed all four of mine. For 5 months, then 10 months, then 21 months, and my daughter turns 2 next week and nurses about twice a month at this point. So yes, I plan on nursing this one.

October 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM
BuckeyeGal23's Avatar Happy Mommy
I plan to nurse. I nursed my son - he self-weaned at 9 months but I pumped another 4. My son had a hard time latching at first but I saw an LC and went to a support group and eventually he got it and ate like a champ! He went between the bottle and breast with no issues...hopefully I am as lucky with this one!

Mommy to Cameron, my amazing son born 10/11/2011
October 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nursing for sure. So far we have made it 12m with DS without ever having formula =) I've very proud of us

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
October 10th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Cwright's Avatar Super Mommy
Nursing! I'm still nursing my 2yr old!

Thank you Babydoll213 for my Siggy!

October 10th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on nursing as well!
October 10th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
I nursed my son for 6 weeks...all he did was scream. I am proud that I got that far with him. Once he got on the bottle, he was a different kid who actually slept, and smiled, and laughed...

But I tried again with my daughter. She was a totally different story. Latched right on, knew what to do...we did it for 6 months, she was awesome with it.

And with my other daughter I did it for 5 months but my nipples cracked, bled, hurt, it was SUPER painful. And I tried to do it longer but I was working and would pump at lunch and get 1/2 ounce. I decided we could be done.

So whatever Storm decides...I'm open to! I'll always give breastfeeding a shot! But I understand that not every kid will do it, too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search