6 weeks 2 days, no fetal pole

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rabbitranch

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2013, 10:01 AM
This will be a bit long but could really use some input...

LMP: August 31

Period came 4 days late but I also stopped taking birth control pills that month so it was not surprising. Period was normal. Cycle lengths vary between 28 - 33 days. I did not keep track of ovulation.

BFP: September 22
Based on LMP it put me at 3 weeks and 1 day pregnant.

I tested 9/19 and got a BFN

I had brown spotting from 9/24 - 9/30 (I also had spotting issues pre-pregnancy).

HCG levels:

9/22: 60
9/24: 136
9/26: 442
9/28: 447
10/02: 5010
10/04: 8294
10/07: 17,000's (ER didn't give me an exact number)

I had an ultrasound done on 9/26 (estimated at 3 weeks 5 days based on LMP). Findings were a collection of fluid which appeared to be in the uterus which was the possible start of a gestational sac forming.

I had another ultrasound on 10/02 (estimated at 4 weeks 4 days based on LMP). Findings were a sac which appeared to be in the uterus but also possibly a pseudogestational sac due to ectopic. Thought they saw beginnings of yolk sac (when it was zoomed in you could kinda see it). Sac measured 5 weeks and 6 days (9 days ahead of estimated weeks pregnant)

10/07: I had an ultrasound done. Pregnancy confirmed as in the uterus. However, gestational sac measuring 6 weeks 2 days (based on LMP I am only 5 weeks 2 days). Sac obviously grew, yolk sac grew but ER doctor concerned at my HCG level and weeks gestation (based on sac size) that nothing other than a yolk sac is being seen.

I did the clearblue pregnancy test with weeks estimator (I know it isn't always accurate).

9/22: Said 1-2 weeks which made sense at 3 weeks 1 day
9/29: Said 2-3 weeks which made sense at 4 weeks 1 day
10/03: Said 3 + weeks which made sense at a day shy of 5 weeks.

Progesterone level checked last Friday: 40

I saw my OB 10/08 and he is concerned that my gestational sac size is dating the pregnancy 6 weeks 2 days (0n 10/7) and my HCG levels are over 17,000 but all that is being seen on the ultrasound is a yolk sac. I'm quite certain I had to have been at least 6 weeks as you could see the gestational sac and yolk sac transabdominally and I dont think you usually can until at least 6 weeks into your pregnancy. I did have it done transvaginally as well. So my question is..

Has anyone had an ultrasound done around 6 weeks 2 days, not seen a fetal pole and had a normal pregnancy?

Any other words of advice on this situation is greatly appreciated. I have a ultrasound scheduled next Thursday and if no fetal pole is seen doctor wants to re-draw my hcg levels and mosy likely discuss a d and c for the following week. I am so scared right now.

Last edited by csl2009; October 10th, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
October 10th, 2013, 10:14 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
With my last baby at the first ultrasound it showed only the gestational and yolk sac, going by my LMP date I was supposed to be 6w5d. They estimated a reading of 6w2d via abdominal u/s and 5w5d via transvaginal u/s. I went back a week later and there was a fetal pole and everything worked out fine for us. I hope you'll get reassuring news at your next u/s!
susie_q likes this.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
October 10th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would wait to have another u/s done until 8 weeks, Just a personal opinion but I had problems with my bbys first few u/s's. The first one they said he was 7weeks, when he was really only 5. It caused a big problem, drs said no new development, ect. Anyways When I went back at 9 weeks you could see his heart beat and he was doing very well. I would go with what you think you are at, those ultrasounds, esp in early preg really arent spot on. Its like when they tell you your baby is 8lbs and he comes out 6.6lbs At 8 weeks there will be no confusion, even if you are actually a week behind that or a week ahead. Best wishes and good luck

October 10th, 2013, 07:01 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
(((Hugs))) I'm sorry. Wait a week or so and then go back in. I'm confused -- did you have the transabdomen u/s or the transvaginal? I though it was way too early to see these beans with the abdomen one. If that's the case, then you just had a bad scan.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your little bean!
October 10th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
A lot happens IN week 6. Let them try again in a week. I wouldn't necessarily worry. My OB indicated that this happens a lot, a few days can make a huge difference!
October 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
(((hugs)))) I know you must be so scared. But, the other ladies have said it best. Days are so important early on. You could potentially not see the fetal pole one day, go back the next and there it is. I wouldn't panic and *try* not to worry. I know that's a hard thing to do. Your U/S next week will give you a better idea. Prayers that you see the baby when you go back!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

October 11th, 2013, 03:47 AM
bluewren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies. A few days can make a huge difference at this point. Try not to worry.

October 11th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
Hope all goes well, I am 6 weeks 3 days today, but with my last pregnancy, I had a ton of issues, including worried about not seeing anything, I think I was about 5 weeks very close to 6 when I started bleeding badly and had to have an ultrasound, it was in the ER so I didnt really get to look at the screen the way you can at the doctors office, but they gave me a report and I remember seeing that the only thing they saw at the time was a sack and Corpus Luteum there was no fetal pole, 2 days later I went to the doctor for a follow up and there was a small pole, went back a few days later and there was even more, plus my numbers were great. As I said the details are fuzzy as to which week I was in but I was very close to nearing 6 weeks! KUP, FX for a nice and sticky developing baby in a few days!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search