Centering Pregnancy medical care?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM
~~MeeMee~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone else heard of this type of prenatal care or goes to a clinic that offers it?

This is a description of the care that I cut and pasted from their website:

Centering Pregnancy is a unique, innovative approach to prenatal care. Instead of having short, individual clinic appointments, you will meet in a small group setting with other women who are due around the same time as you. These groups are led by a midwife or physician along with a member of our nursing staff; this team will guide the discussion, but the conversations that occur in Centering depend largely on what the group wants to discuss. Groups meet for 2 hours at a time, which allows for individual assessment of the baby's growth and heartbeat, as well as plenty of time for relaxed and open communication about different concerns and questions. Centering groups often have guest speakers as well, such as breastfeeding experts, nutrition experts, labor and delivery nurses, and the like.

If you choose this fun approach to prenatal care, you will experience bonding and will develop friendships unlike anything you have known before. All of the routine testing you would normally have in individual care will occur in the Centering environment. You will still have the same prenatal lab work (blood and urine) and same ultrasound testing. Your group will start on time and end on time, and there will be no waiting to see your provider. You will have the same provider throughout your pregnancy.

When I have my first apt I'm suppose have decided if I want traditional care or this new centering care. I really like the idea of the Centering Pregnancy care, but I'm a little worried that being on the introverted side I might get lost in a group setting and miss the one-on-one attention. Just curious, what do you all think and which would you prefer?

BABY BOY due June 6

Me 40 DH 42 with an amazing 15yo DS
TTC #2 NTNP starting in 2009
actively TTC (BBT and OPKs) 2011
natural BFP Feb 2012, ending in mmc Apr with d&c in May
IVF Sep 2012, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, but showed abnormal
growth, so not suitable for transfer
Nov 2012 IVF take 2 = 3 embryos, but due to concerns with lining unable to transfer
Jan 2013 endometrial biopsy = normal
Mar FET transferred 2 beautiful embryos, but unfortunately BFN
moving to donor eggs fall of 2013
Septemeber 30, 2013 - surprise BFP while waiting for DE
October 10th, 2013, 06:26 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Hmmmm......in theory, I like the idea of it.....being together with a group of women in real life who are experiencing the same things you are. However, I'm shy and while I have no problem being an active member of JM boards, I would be super quiet in the group. I'd probably also spend my time comparing myself to the other women (which when you see them in real life, it's a lot different than chatting on a message board).

Tough choice! Let us know what you decide!
October 10th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran
Lifetime used to have a show, Strong Medicine, that used this approach.

I guess a combination of these approaches may not be so bad; I'd like my traditional one-on-one care and the option to join (and drop out without penalty if I didn't like it) a RL pregnancy group. I couldn't commit exclusively to group care.

How would individ assessments be done? Do they pull you out of group & off to a private room?

Me personally, I'd go for traditional.
October 11th, 2013, 05:29 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I think it depends a lot on your personality. For me, my MW has been a huge part of my life. Over the years, she's become a very close friend of mine as I've been with her through 4 pregnancies and am starting my 5th with her. I like the personalized one on one approach. It allows for your concerns to be addressed individually. In a group setting, I would worry that I may feel intimidated and not ask some questions for fear of embarrassment, etc, and individual concerns not getting the attention they deserve. I appreciate having the bond one on one with my caregiver. However, the idea of bonding with a group of women is a great thing, too. Ideally, a mix of the two would be great! Also, for me personally, I am super busy, so 2 hours for every appt is a huge chunk of time for me! I'm used to being in and out in under an hour. Right at an hour or a little over if I'm having an U/S or other testing.

These are all my personal feelings, though! Some people and personalities will love and thrive in that setting. I tend to be introverted and not overly social, though. Let us know which you decide!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

October 11th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree it sounds like a good idea in theory. For me, I may try it- if I could, but a key to doing something like this esp if you are shy is to really take advantage of that one on one time. Make sure they are thorough and have gone over everything with you individually. One on one time is also important if you have issues that you dont want to discuss with the group. As far as what I like best, I have never done the group clinic, but I really felt blind going into my last two pregnancies, it was through private insurance that we paid out of pocket, not through work. It was awful. 300-400+/month, plus copays and lab fees, the type of service that I got definitly had that corporation feel. They were just okay. My dr with my second was much better but even so, the same kind of routine corporation feel, like lets hurry up and be done feel. Right now Im on govt insurance due to my fiance changing jobs, he should get medical after hes been working awhile, but so far govt insurance (medi-cal) for this area, is just amazing! They know me by name, without looking at their apt schedule, they go over everything thoroughly and they offer so many services. I was very surprised. So in my opinion it really depends on the practice, the staff, and where you are most comfortable.

October 11th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I also got that a brochure in the mail on Centering Pregnancy. I'm considering it. They said that each appointment is 2 hours--you meet with the group AND then individually with your doctor.

I am going to make a list of questions to ask at my first appointment about it, but I think it may be a good option.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

October 11th, 2013, 11:00 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
My birth center does it. I didn't do it last time because I thought I'd get annoyed by other mommies too easily. Looking back I really wish I'd done it! A lot of my friends who did it have made great friends with other parents through their Centering classes.

I'm considering doing it this time around. It depends on the scheduling. I'm thinking DH and I will make a date night of it because we'll need to get a babysitter.

October 11th, 2013, 11:15 AM
~~MeeMee~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, I’m making a list of questions to ask. I’m thinking I’m going to at least start with the Centering Pregnancy Care, but I need to make sure I can change to traditional if I really don’t like the group thing.

BABY BOY due June 6

Me 40 DH 42 with an amazing 15yo DS
TTC #2 NTNP starting in 2009
actively TTC (BBT and OPKs) 2011
natural BFP Feb 2012, ending in mmc Apr with d&c in May
IVF Sep 2012, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, but showed abnormal
growth, so not suitable for transfer
Nov 2012 IVF take 2 = 3 embryos, but due to concerns with lining unable to transfer
Jan 2013 endometrial biopsy = normal
Mar FET transferred 2 beautiful embryos, but unfortunately BFN
moving to donor eggs fall of 2013
Septemeber 30, 2013 - surprise BFP while waiting for DE
October 11th, 2013, 11:36 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~MeeMee~~ View Post
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, Iím making a list of questions to ask. Iím thinking Iím going to at least start with the Centering Pregnancy Care, but I need to make sure I can change to traditional if I really donít like the group thing.
At my center, the groups fill up pretty quick and I've known mamas who waited too long to make up their minds and were left with just the traditional option. I doubt there will be a problem switching to traditional care but getting into a group later might be tricky. Just a thought

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search