what should I eat when I have horrible nausea?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chrysalis1

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM
chrysalis1's Avatar + Positively Pregnant! +
What do you ladies suggest? I am so worried I am not eating enough for myself, let alone baby. So far the only thing I can seem to eat and not gag and throw back up are apples and toast. I can barely even drink water without feeling queasy. This morning I woke up feeling so dizzy and I worried that I am really just not eating enough. It was scary to feel so light headed. My Dr suggested diluted ginger ale to drink, and trying saltine crackers after meals and the ginger ale is great and the crackers are good by themselves but don't stop me from getting sick after eating anything else. What do you ladies eat to help keep down nausea? I am so afraid that if this keeps up I will lose too much weight or end up fainting and going to the ER.
"Mild" pcos, blessed with BFP on cycle #4 ttc
Baby Braden 5/25/2014He's finally here!

]
October 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I wanted to add today I will try putting peanut butter on my toast for protein!

]
October 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I had really bad m/s with DD. I could handle PB&J for lunch .. sometimes. For dinner some nights I'd just eat a bowl of mashed potatoes. Breakfast was something like toast. Bland pasta was another typical meal.

I know its hard (and I certainly didn't accomplish it) but try not to worry toooo much. Baby will take from your body what baby needs and right now that's not all that much. So long as you're not severely underweight you'll be fine. Try to take your prenatals at a time when you're least likely to yack them up. I find that cutting them in half and taking one half in the morning and one at night is the only way I can stomach them.

This WILL end!

October 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
First off, don't worry about eating enough. The baby will take what it needs first. I promise! I was so sick with DD through the whole pregnancy that I could never eat much. I gained 11 lbs total, but she ended up being nearly 8lbs of it. The rest was the placenta, etc, so it was basically all baby. She definitely took what she needed and was a healthy girl despite me not being able to eat much or keep much down! If it gets too bad to where you're not able to eat hardly at all or keep much down, call your dr. I was on Zofran with DD and it took the edge off. It's a good option if you need it.

For me, salty things seem to calm my nausea and I can stomach it better than other things. Chips, nuts, small bites of PB when I can tolerate it, etc. Toast is a great option. Ginger ale is good, especially Canadian Dry, because it's made with real ginger. Speaking of ginger candy is a natural nausea aide. I also loved sparkling water for it. At Publix, they have the water with essence, and the Raspberry Sparkling is my favorite there and it's cheap. Like $1 for a 2 liter. Also, I love Fresh Market's Sparkling Water in Pomegranate. The carbonation helps.

Some women swear by sour things, sucking on a sour candy, lemon, etc. My MW advised me to eat whatever I could tolerate with as sick as I was with DD. If I could keep it down eat it and not worry about how "healthy" it was, since I was trying to force my normal veggies and promptly puking them back up. She even ok'd my daily Iced Mocha (decaf) from Starbucks because I could stomach it some days.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

October 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
When I was pregnant with my first, the only thing that stayed down in the beginning was carbs. I would try not to worry, like the PP said at this early stage lots of women do lose weight and baby does not need you to do much eating to be okay. If it gets really bad maybe your OB can prescribe you something to help?

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
October 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Thank you all so much for sharing with me... Yes I do think the carbonation helps so I will try sparkling water... Also thanks for telling me about the baby taking priority to get what it needs no matter what. I pictured that if I was suffering baby was too. I certainly don't really mind being sick all the time if baby is still cozy and fine!

I think at my next OB appt I may bring it back up if I still am having trouble eating but since I'm so early (6 weeks and a day or two) she thinks it is just my body adjusting to the hcg. I feel a lot better knowing what I know now though!

]
October 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Veteran
I do not have much morning sickness ever...I have only ever thrown up twice during my first pregnancy. I agree; carbs did make me feel better when I had queasiness. Maybe try some rice, potatoes, noodles w/a little olive oil & salt, etc.

That said if all U can keep down is apples & toast, go with that. What did your provider say about anti nausea meds?
October 11th, 2013, 10:57 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rice cakes are my go to.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

October 11th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Today I cooked pasta for dinner, since I saw the posts about carbs, and it was great! I feel so full going to bed! Thanks ladies so so much! I also put an Apple on my nightstand to eat first thing in the morning.
bluewren likes this.

]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search