Toxoplasmosis bloodtest???

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By toasterbell
  • 2 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 1 Post By Justjessie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am kind of worried, because I knew couldnt clean the litter box, but upon reading up on it more, I shouldnt be cleaning any pee at all (one of our kitties has cronic UTI's she just got over one, and was on antibiotics twice for two week periods and then special food for 3 months, but I think she has another :/) Anyways Ive been around cats forever, Pretty much have always had them. I read that there is a blood test to figure out if you are immune to toxoplasmosis. I havent ever had a problem, at least not that I know of. But may get the bloodtest- which they only do if you ask, so I think I will. Anyone else? Also anyone know if I can use hand sanitizing wipes for the kitties paws?

October 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you have always been around cats then chances are you have had toxoplasmosis and never realized - it doesn't really effect adults just unborn babies. But like i said if you have had it before (which you probably have) then you should be immune, avoid cleaning litter trays without gloves on - with gloves you should be perfectly safe

...and baby number 2
October 24th, 2013, 03:37 PM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I actually had two cats that had a documented case of Toxoplasmosis when I was pregnant with my son. I had my blood tested, and like you, I have been around cats for my whole life, but I was negative. I was so scared, but I had someone else clean the litter box and had my blood drawn once a month for the rest of my pregnancy and I never contracted it. It was very scary though.

Generally if your cats don't go outside, or have any contact with animals from outside, they are pretty safe. My cat that I have now, regularly kills mice, so is exposed to all sorts of things, so no cleaning the cat box for me this time around. It couldn't hurt to get the test though.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
October 24th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran
If it helps, I'm pretty sure that toxoplasmosis is transmitted through stool, not urine, so although it's probably not too fun to play with cat pee right now, your cat peeing outside the litter box probably isn't a toxoplasmosis risk. There is a titer test you can get, but I'm not sure it's part of standard testing. I'm kind of worried, too. My husband just got a heart transplant 1.5 years ago, so he can't change the cat box, and I really don't want my kiddoes playing with it. On the plus side, apparently toxoplasmosis is not exceedingly common in North America (vs. Europe), so we're at a much lower risk for infection.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the sanitizing wipes on your cats' paws. There's no way you'd be able to catch them every time they got done with the litter box. It would probably be safer overall (and more pleasant for your cats) if you just made sure to be extra careful about washing your hands before you eat and wiping down counters and tables before food prep.
newmommysarah likes this.
October 25th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys! Yeah I have this natures miracle urine killer stuff that I literally use on everything, the floors counters everything. It smells awesome, plus it has an enzyme that eats protien in urine, I also clean regularly so hopefully it helps. My cats are indoor/outdoor - we have ten acres, they eat the mice and it keeps the rattlesnakes away, which is great! Ill look and see how it is transmittled

October 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Toxoplasmosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you are right!!!! Thank goodness!!!! Not as worried

October 25th, 2013, 02:14 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Toxoplasmosis is much more rare than the internet would have you think. I was tested for it earlier this year because I had what I thought was mono and I read that the test for mono can cross activate if you have toxoplasmosis or CMV. I was TTC at the time so I wanted to be sure it wasn't either of those. After 3 weeks of demanding tests it turned out it was actually a primary CMV infection and I had to put off TTC for 6 months. Test if you want but read up on the test because it might not give you the most clear cut answer and might cause a lot of stress.
mrsdaiwa24 and moxiemommie like this.

October 25th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
Just chiming in...I'm a crazy cat lady and I let everyone else clean the litter boxes for me while I'm pregnant =) My cats are all indoors but you can never be too safe. My daughter had a test for toxoplasmosis when she was 18 months old but it came back negative. It was roseola =)
moxiemommie likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search