Baby Showers...

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Marissa's Mommy
  • 2 Post By JoannaEvelyn06
  • 1 Post By Fall
  • 1 Post By mommy10_13
  • 1 Post By newmommysarah
  • 1 Post By rabbitranch
  • 1 Post By Jessica121706
  • 1 Post By mrsdaiwa24
  • 1 Post By Demetria
  • 1 Post By Marissa's Mommy
  • 1 Post By angelsailor288
  • 1 Post By mrsdaiwa24

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay so I literally just read this not five minutes ago and the ladies seemed pretty adament (almost rude about it) They said that Tradition is that you only have one baby shower for your first born. Thats it. One total. Im from California, and I have never ever heard this, granted CA isnt known for "tradition" unless its gay pride or the surfing competitions. But I just never knew. I didnt have a shower for Luke because we had so much going on, but I had no idea Ryans was my last. I would have enjoyed it more. Idk if anyone would throw me a baby shower this time around anyways, but I had no idea it was "breaking" tradition and that people have some "choice words for people that have multiple baby showers." Idk if its my hormones or not but I think if this happened in real life I may have actually slapped her. Like she was better, just because she followed tradition. Urrggg. Yeah pretty sure thats hormones ANYWAYS Is she right? Am I just a basket case that should shove a sock in it? Despite the debate, I dont think I would have another bby shower, but Im ALL for a gender reveal party. Eat that tradition. BAH!

October 25th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't turn down a baby shower if someone offered to throw me one, but yes traditionally one is the limit. Now days I know a lot of people are going against that tradition, especially with women having such large spaces between babies. The thought is that you have a shower to get the things you need that you may not be able to get on your own during your first pregnancy. Then the way things used to be, your next baby would be in a year or two and you would already have all the major items, and be better prepared for parenthood. Hence no need for a shower. I did have a shower with my 1st, my 2nd was born 23mo later so no shower. This time there will only be 19-20 mo in between babies, but I thought we were done so I gave all my stuff away. Other than the things DS2 is still using I'm starting over. I don't expect a shower, nor do I think anyone will offer to throw me one. I'm not upset about it, but like I said before I won't turn it down because of tradition if someone does offer.

October 25th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Marissa's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa's Mommy
Let me start by saying I am not traditional. I plan on having one this time. Hopefully if someone feels so inclined to throw one for me. But my DD is from an ex and this will be the first child for my hubby. I can totally see my mother quoting this tradition to me and refusing to attend. But my MIL would love to attend. Really I had DD almost 6 years ago and thought she would be my last. I only recently started saving clothes and whatnot in case I have another girl but we have no baby stuff.
moxiemommie likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature!
October 25th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry, but screw tradition. Who gives a flippity flip?! I have a DD who is 5, and while this is my DHs first - I'm totally having another shower. May I suggest that friends/family who refuse to throw or attend a "non first" baby shower..... They're selfish.

I might have some rage pregnancy hormones right now, but seriously - do what makes you happy. Throw yourself a shower. I'd come
mommy10_13 and moxiemommie like this.
October 25th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I had one for both of the boys, though my second one was more for my ex than me because it was his first, and it was kind of an excuse to have a big family thing. I'm not sure if we will have one this go-round but I definitely wouldn't turn one down.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

October 25th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a shower for my last one who was number 5 in the family and will be this time around too!!
mommy10_13 likes this.

October 26th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiemommie View Post
Okay so I literally just read this not five minutes ago and the ladies seemed pretty adament (almost rude about it) They said that Tradition is that you only have one baby shower for your first born. Thats it. One total. Im from California, and I have never ever heard this, granted CA isnt known for "tradition" unless its gay pride or the surfing competitions. But I just never knew. I didnt have a shower for Luke because we had so much going on, but I had no idea Ryans was my last. I would have enjoyed it more. Idk if anyone would throw me a baby shower this time around anyways, but I had no idea it was "breaking" tradition and that people have some "choice words for people that have multiple baby showers." Idk if its my hormones or not but I think if this happened in real life I may have actually slapped her. Like she was better, just because she followed tradition. Urrggg. Yeah pretty sure thats hormones ANYWAYS Is she right? Am I just a basket case that should shove a sock in it? Despite the debate, I dont think I would have another bby shower, but Im ALL for a gender reveal party. Eat that tradition. BAH!
I have heard of that and it is rood, and wrong. Every baby deserves to be celebrated. Every baby is a blessing. I had one for both of mine, and look forward to having one for this bundle.
Jessica121706 likes this.
October 26th, 2013, 03:49 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a friend who got a letter in the post from a friend stating that for her 4th baby she didnt want a traditional shower - she wanted things like organic baby food, at least 1 months supply of brand name nappies, an expensive crib with bedding, groceries for a week etc dropped off at the house between 3-6pm on such and such a date.
Now thats being cheeky!

Oh i forgot organic carrots - organic carrots was on the list somewhere.
moxiemommie likes this.

...and baby number 2

Last edited by newmommysarah; October 26th, 2013 at 03:52 AM.
October 26th, 2013, 05:00 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I had one with my DS, but that will have been over 7 years ago by the time this baby comes. I have some cloth diapers that I saved, and a sling, but that is all. I have nothing else for a baby, nada, zip, zero.

This baby is also the first for my partner, and I know he has a ton of friends (as well as my friends) who would LOVE to throw a baby shower. Once I had my son, my circle of friends changed entirely, so 90% of the folks from my first shower wouldn't even be at this one.

If someone offers to throw one, I would be thrilled, if nobody does, I might plan something myself. Tradition is not something I tend to follow.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
October 26th, 2013, 05:01 AM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
I think, also, it depends on your family and circle of friends. Many feel one. Others could care less about tradition. In my own circle of friends, we typically throw showers for each baby. Same with my family

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
October 26th, 2013, 05:13 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I sat do what you want. Like a PP said, every baby deserves to be celebrated! I had a shower for my 1st, 3rd, and 4th. It wasn't about needing to be showered with gifts as it was a chance to get together and play silly baby shower games and ooh and ahh over cute baby clothes and hang out with friends. I had the shower for #3 at a restaurant and got a few nice little gifts and the shower for #4 at a friend's house and we had a tea party with girls only (including my daughters) and that was a lot of fun. I didn't really need or expect any baby supplies so if people wanted to bring something it was totally up to them - which usually meant a cute little outfit. It was fun
moxiemommie likes this.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
October 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I reread what I wrote, and felt really mean when I wrote it. It really wasnt that mean. It still irritates me that that she would say she has "choice words for people that have more than one." I almost thought of saying, well given that you havent followed any kind of tradition thus far, why does it matter?" But I held back! LOL I agree with all of you ladies. You should do what you feel is right for you and your family. Im personally planning on throwing all my friends baby showers for every baby. Its not about the gifts, its about celebrating a new baby with your loved ones. I definitely want to get together with our friends and family, whether we decide on the gender reveal or a friend throws us a baby shower. We dont need gifts, just to spend time with everyone. Plus everyone loves to see the kids!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitranch View Post
I sat do what you want. Like a PP said, every baby deserves to be celebrated! I had a shower for my 1st, 3rd, and 4th. It wasn't about needing to be showered with gifts as it was a chance to get together and play silly baby shower games and ooh and ahh over cute baby clothes and hang out with friends. I had the shower for #3 at a restaurant and got a few nice little gifts and the shower for #4 at a friend's house and we had a tea party with girls only (including my daughters) and that was a lot of fun. I didn't really need or expect any baby supplies so if people wanted to bring something it was totally up to them - which usually meant a cute little outfit. It was fun
YES! I cant tell you how much I agree with this! I love the tea party idea, but we will probably just do a big laid back get together, and have cupcakes filled with eiher blue or pink, so when ppl bite in, the gender is revealed. (yeah apparently Im pretty set on this gender reveal thing!!! LOL)

October 26th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had 1 with both my girls. IMO if someone is offended by it then they don't need to come
moxiemommie likes this.
October 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Personally, I think there's a difference between having a huge, blow-out, big baby shower and a celebration for each baby. That's where that "baby sprinkle" comes into play -- a toned down celebration for the subsequent babies where people can still get together to celebrate, smaller gifts can be given, and whatnot.

I don't expect anyone to throw me a shower or sprinkle -- we have everything we need for a little girl and if it's a boy, I don't mind getting his clothes. But, to each her own.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.
October 26th, 2013, 11:50 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Tradition, shmadition. Yes, I think it would be a little rude to throw yourself a giant baby shower for a second (or more) baby if you had your first recently but if someone else wants to throw you a party then go for it guilt free! Two of my good friends just had their seconds. Knowing that they were set on baby gear (they were also each having a second girl), I asked them to choose between 1) a baby "sprinkle", 2) a belly blessing, and 3) a freezer-meal making party. My one friend didn't want anything and the other chose a sprinkle. It was small but she got a few new special things for the baby and she loved it. If given the same choice, I'd probably go for the freezer meal party

October 26th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Super Mommy
I agree with the overall sentiment of the previous comments.
October 27th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
In my family every baby normally gets a shower, as well as when I was working, no matter if it was baby #1 or baby #7 all of the co-workers would get together and decorate and throw a shower for the baby. I personally don't want a shower. I never did, but its because I am shy, and I hate being the center of attention. And at work, I left abruptly for maternity leave so they didn't have time to plan one! I had already purchased everything I needed anyway.

During my wedding reception, even though it was a small gathering I was so glad when it was over. LOL.

I was thinking of having a small meet the baby party after the baby gets here though, that way the focus isn't on me and I don't have a bunch of people rubbing my belly and making me wear silly hats, etc.

Another idea I had was to throw DH a Daddy-shower! That way he is the one that is the center of attention, this is his 2nd baby and he didn't get to experience a baby shower with Ava, because I turned it down. It may be fun for him but again I may run into the problem of people rubbing on my belly.
Marissa's Mommy likes this.
October 27th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Marissa's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa's Mommy
That is a great idea about the daddy shower! Especially since DH thinks men should take no part in a baby shower. But if it is something for him...he won't have a choice =)
Demetria likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature!
October 27th, 2013, 01:40 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Who cares about tradition? Not me. We had a shower for Nicholas. We havent decided if we are doing a shower for this baby or a "welcome baby" party. Either way, whatever.
Demetria likes this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

October 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetria View Post

Another idea I had was to throw DH a Daddy-shower! That way he is the one that is the center of attention, this is his 2nd baby and he didn't get to experience a baby shower with Ava, because I turned it down. It may be fun for him but again I may run into the problem of people rubbing on my belly.
At my family baby shower for Betsy, all of the guys took my husband out for an afternoon of go-karting. Not quite a "daddy shower" but it was a way for him to celebrate without doing the girly shower things.
Demetria likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search