Any ladies get the Rhogam shot?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mrs_zipre
  • 1 Post By mrs_zipre
  • 1 Post By mrsdaiwa24

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2013, 01:29 AM
chrysalis1's Avatar + Positively Pregnant! +
I just found out from my labs today I'm A-. DH's blood type is O+. I haven't spoken with my obgyn yet but will next week. Are there any questions I should ask? Can I ask for the shot now instead of at 28 weeks like I saw on Google? I am annoyed that I'm Rh-, I do not want my body to try to harm my baby
"Mild" pcos, blessed with BFP on cycle #4 ttc
Baby Braden 5/25/2014He's finally here!

]
November 2nd, 2013, 06:38 AM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
Is this your first child? Most of the time the rH- factor does not affect your first child. The issue comes if you and the baby's blood intermix during delivery and creates antibodies which can attack subsequent children. You will get a rhogam shot at 26/27 weeks and one a day or so after delivery. It's not really something to freak out about, but the shots are deep tissue and hurt!!

I am rH- and this is my second child. I know my body has created the antibodies.
MamaFish likes this.

November 2nd, 2013, 06:59 AM
chrysalis1's Avatar + Positively Pregnant! +
Thank you for your answer! Yes this is my first child. So does this mean the baby's blood does not normally mix with mine unless during labor?

I have so many questions because I only found out from shuffling through my discharge papers which included some lab work. I got rushed to the Er last night from fainting which they said was dehydration. They ran tests and did an ultrasound and said baby is fine and they gave me two bags of IV, but I just saw from my paperwork what my blood type is and got worried. I don't know fully what the implications are but I am really glad to hear you are rh- and carried your first just fine and are carrying your second fine too.
"Mild" pcos, blessed with BFP on cycle #4 ttc
Baby Braden 5/25/2014He's finally here!

]
November 2nd, 2013, 07:07 AM
My doctor said my placenta did an amazing job filtering things and keeping my first baby safe. My son's blood sugar did crash after the cord was cut and I had some excessive bleeding, but that's not really normal of rH- factor deliveries. It is definitely not as big of an issue as it was in our grandparents' time (my grandma was rH- and had to have in utero blood transfusions with my mom)

As long as you haven't had a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy your chances of having a healthy, happy pregnancy as far as the rH- factor are very good. If you have any worries you can ask that the doctors test your blood for rH- antibodies (those that would be created after blood intermixing)

In subsequent pregnancies if antibodies are present your baby may require a blood transfusion post delivery, but in most cases are delivered full term without issues. rH- factor does not affect a person's general health.

It's all good mama. Nothing to worry about until you have to go bare bottom and get the needle at 26/27 weeks.
MamaFish likes this.

November 2nd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had to have it with my first DD, and she turned out just fine. I'll be getting it again this time at 28 weeks. I don't think you can get it any earlier. Everything will be ok, try not to worry.
November 2nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannaEvelyn06 View Post
I had to have it with my first DD, and she turned out just fine. I'll be getting it again this time at 28 weeks. I don't think you can get it any earlier. Everything will be ok, try not to worry.
Yes, 28 weeks. Thank you. I kept thinking 26 but that sounded early in mind.

November 2nd, 2013, 09:09 AM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat and was told just get the shot at 28 weeks and then no worries. Hubby is O+ and I am A- too. Usually I appreciate being Rh- because it helps the blood bank but it is a little annoying right now. Especially because I am the ONLY negative in my family. Both my parents are Positive but had the recessive for negative or else I wouldn't exist

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
November 2nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I didn't have it with my first, but now I'm worried about this pregnancy. I forgot a lot of stuff after my first because I didn't think I needed to remember it as she was supposed to be our only child. This is going to sound stupid, but how do they know if there's a problem -- they can take your blood but can they isolate the baby's blood from that?
November 2nd, 2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdaiwa24 View Post
I didn't have it with my first, but now I'm worried about this pregnancy. I forgot a lot of stuff after my first because I didn't think I needed to remember it as she was supposed to be our only child. This is going to sound stupid, but how do they know if there's a problem -- they can take your blood but can they isolate the baby's blood from that?
They would have given you a shot at 28 weeks and a shot after delivery if you were rH-. If you have the factor you get the shot regardless. You can't develop the rH- factor. It is a part of your blood makeup.

November 2nd, 2013, 08:23 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Okay, thanks! I know I definitely didn't get any shots.
mrs_zipre likes this.
November 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am A-, DH is A+. I got the shot actually early at 18 weeks because I had some bleeding with DD, and then again before I delivered....I can't remember exactly when. It only lasts a certain amount of time...I think maybe 12 weeks, which is why you get it at 28. DD is fine and healthy and I am not worried about baby's health due to me being Rh-.

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
November 9th, 2013, 04:55 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
They also do an Rh antibody screen at some point if you're Rh negative.

I've gotten the shot during and after every pgcy and mc.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search