Feeling overwhelmed

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Wish44
  • 2 Post By Beeker
  • 1 Post By mrs_zipre
  • 1 Post By AtomicMama
  • 1 Post By epsilonbeta
  • 1 Post By Justjessie
  • 1 Post By AtomicMama
  • 1 Post By mrsdaiwa24
  • 2 Post By mrsdaiwa24

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2013, 01:05 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I know that some of you ladies have it so much worse, so I feel awful complaining that I'm tired. However, no one else understands and I'm tired of trying to explain myself to non-preggos, so here it goes.....

I'm beyond tired. I was managing the fatigue for a while, but it's winning. I'm making stupid mistakes -- noticeable, stupid mistakes like forgetting a faculty meeting and forgetting an answer key and having to admit to the kids that I couldn't grade a review worksheet at home so they could have the answers for the test. Betsy makes comments like "Your room is so messy Mommy!" because straightening up is the last thing I want to do.

I get about three - four hours of energy in the morning (fueled by an adrenaline rush because traffic causes my stress to go through the roof) and then, that's it -- I crash by about 11 am. No amount of sugar, juice, protein, or anything else will wake me up. Most days, there is no hope for a nap.

I have 60 essays to grade. I have 160 completed tests as of Wednesday that will need grades. I have parent-teacher night time conferences on Thursday. Oh, and I have a daughter who was just diagnosed with the beginnings of pneumonia. "You should be grading papers and not playing on JM right now" I'm sure you're thinking...... but I lack the focus right now to start doing anything productive and you need to have focus when you're reading 60 essays on whether or not Hammurabi's law code was just.

I'm so flippin' tired. I just want to cry.

Thanks for listening to me whine. I'll stop now.
November 4th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awww, I totally get it. And this is the perfect place to rant. As a former teacher (my husband got transferred late in the summer, so I am not teaching this year), I totally get where you are coming from. In fact, these past few weeks I've been so nauseas and tired, I've actually counted my lucky stars that I am not teaching right now. I don't know how in the world I would do it!

You are growing a baby. And that takes A LOT of energy. The most important thing you can do right now is take care of your body and your growing baby. Somehow everything else will get done. The house can go without getting picked up, you can ask DH to help with household chores, and just do the best you can with everything else. Betsy needs you, as well. Take some time to cuddle, nap, and rest with her while she gets better. It will help you both!

We're always here for you, Amy! Big hugs!
Fall and moxiemommie like this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

November 4th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are always so hard on yourself. You are growing a human! Sometimes it's good to let your students see you are human and can admit to being a little behind. You are an amazing teacher. Hugs!!
Fall and moxiemommie like this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
November 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
Just remember this phase is short lived and give yourself some wiggle room. Hugs.
moxiemommie likes this.

November 4th, 2013, 01:25 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Lots of hugs, Amy! I completely understand. I have a huge project that was due in Mid-October that I'm still working on because I just can't focus to save my life. I hate it, but I don't know how to fix it.

I wish people would be more understanding of you. It's so hard! And so much harder with a 3 year old at home, on top of everything. I hope Betsy feels better soon, too.
moxiemommie likes this.

November 4th, 2013, 02:11 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
((Hugs)) I totally get it. Progress reports are due today and I have been so far behind on grading. My house has been a mess because I have no energy to clean and two messy boys at home.

Take a deep breath, get yourself some kind of treat you can keep down and know it will get better.
moxiemommie likes this.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
November 4th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You have a TON on your plate! Its no wonder you are exhausted! *hugs* Today, I seriously passed out on the couch, just sitting down a couple minutes. And Im a SAHM... I dont have dead lines nor do I have to leave my house at a certain time, yet Im totally beat! So I can only imagine how you feel and how you do it. Give yourself some slack. Do your best, but make sure you are getting what you need (like sleep) The first trimester is the worst as far as fatigue (with the exception of the last 3 weeks of preg) in my opinion. If you can get through these next 5 weeks or so, I think you your energy will bounce back. Good luck and hang in there!!!!!

November 4th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Regular
I totally get it too. Do the best you can. Thats all you can do. It will get better. *hugs* stay strong!

Expecting my first baby in June 2014!! Excited to meet my little girl Rorie Mae!!
November 4th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran
I get it. I used to teach when I was pregnant ten years ago. I can't imagine now. Some days I can hardly do anything and I work from home on my couch. Hang in there.
November 4th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran
I'm too exhausted to write a reply but I'm a 2nd grade teacher....and.i.totally.understand! Ugh!
November 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
You know I totally get it, lady =)

I keep telling myself that only a few more weeks...conferences are this week and next week and m/s may be gone by the time they are over and then it's THANSKGIVING and we all pig out.

Here's wimpiness for you...today I had records day and we are allowed to work from home. I sent the kids off to school and Jess off to daycare. I wrote report cards for 4 hours and ran to the bathroom in between to be sick.

Then I ate a grilled cheese sandwich and took a 4 hour nap.

Picked up kids and did running around...

Came home and whined I was tired and puked some more.

It's our thing now. This is what we do. People gotta let up and give us some slack.

Lots of teachers in here feeling your pain!!!
epsilonbeta likes this.
November 4th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for letting me vent. I'm hoping Miss B will let me get some solid sleep tonight so that I can have a bit more energy tomorrow and can maybe tackle some of the things that need to be done. I wasted a ton of energy today driving my long commute up to school, prepping all of the work for the sub, driving back home, going to the grocery, and then taking B up to the doctor (which lasted for 90 minutes and included such traumas as forcing her to take meds and listening to her scream for me in the xray room because I had to leave). By the time we came back, I was DONE.

How the heck am I going to balance all of this stuff and take care of a preschooler and a newborn?????????? And if history repeats itself, this newborn will have "high expectations" like Betsy did (and fail to tell me what they are!).
November 4th, 2013, 07:41 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I'm hoping you have an easy going, super sleeper baby #2
mrsdaiwa24 likes this.

November 4th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Marissa's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa's Mommy
Hugs! I hope Betsy gets better quickly and you get your energy back soon. Maybe one weekend she can have some special one on one time with a close friend or relative and you can just spend a day sleeping? Cause you totally deserve to just have a full day stay home do nothing day.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature!
November 5th, 2013, 05:10 AM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
Aw, I'm so sorry Amy. I can only imagine. I work from home, and I seriously tell DH all the time I'm so glad I do.. because I have no idea how others do it. And I don't even have another kid to take care of. But pregnancy is tiring! And teaching is tiring. Definitely cut yourself slack, though. You're human And in the scheme of things, this time frame will be over before you know it. *hugs*

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
November 5th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Super Mommy
*hugs*

I think you're super woman being able to get as much done as you are!

I don't have any other kids, I have a low-stress job and my hubby has been doing a good portion of the cleaning/cooking and I can still barely make it through the day without a nap or 2. Like all the other ladies said - don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing an amazing thing right now - you have a little baby growing in you.
November 5th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I feel so bad for you! I stay at home and its a bit more easy to be exhausted than it was when I was working! I can fall asleep on the sofa and even though I never get even 5 mins of a nap in before Ava comes running over for attention, its much easier to deal with! I hope it passes soon, maybe this weekend you can get a big nap in on Saturday and Sunday!
November 5th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks ladies. I was at a meltdown point yesterday. A good night's sleep in my own bed helped immensely. Betsy is home sick again today so I decided to stay home too -- trying to get as much stuff done this morning while I still have a few hours of energy but still trying to force myself to sit every once and a while so I can go as long as possible. (I've already done a load of laundry, loaded the dishwasher, hand washed the two pots that can't go into the dishwasher, forced B to take her medicine, and entertained her as well.) Plus, all three of us are sick now, so that's sapping my energy as well.

I'm going to make some quiet lesson plans for the next couple of days so I can try and get caught up on the grading. I'm hoping that if things go smoothly today, I can grade a few of the papers. The tests are a different story -- I won't even have them in my possession until tomorrow. Usually, students are pretty understanding about why grading takes so long, especially when I tell them that Betsy has been so sick (they adore her, so I know that they'll understand and they'll tell their parents why I'm so behind, so I shouldn't get complaints).

I have a three day weekend coming up (a real one, not a 4 day weekend due to a sick kiddo), so I'm looking forward to that. DH is going fishing with his dad (and I can't ask him not to go as his dad is over 70, lives 6 hours away, and they haven't done this in forever), so I'm going to see if maybe my mom can watch B for a couple of hours so I can grade.

Thanks again for listening to my pity-party rant. And thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one. That made me feel better.

LOL -- and Amy, I talk to my belly all of the time and remind this baby that it needs to be the super-chill mellow little sibling!
AtomicMama likes this.
November 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Hooray!!!!!!!!!! I've managed to grade 9 essays so far!!!!!! I picked out the ones of the kids who have parents coming in for conferences on Thursday night, so that will make my conference prep so much easier.
njkatc and AllyTales like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search