rant....

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 1 Post By mrsdaiwa24

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2013, 10:27 AM
JackieV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK I have to get this off my chest....
Why is that when you're pregnant EVERYBODY feels they can tell you what is OK or not ok to eat drink do, etc.
My MIL is already hounding me about getting the flu shot, which I have never gotten and don't plan to. Then, constantly questioning what I can and can't eat or drink. Lunch meant, nitrites, caffeine.. UGH!!
I get that these are things that are not recommended or ideal but I will not die nor will my baby if I have a Pepsi and a slice of pepperoni pizza.
One of my biggest pet peeves is people telling me what to do. My Dr says to use judgment so I am.... All things are OK in limited quantities.
The thing that gets me even more is my job will be more hazardous to pregnancy than any of the foods! I work in a food microbiology lab where there is listeria being tested everywhere! I don't have to go near it obviously, but i have more of a hazard there than a piece of peoperoni!!!!
Plus, MIL is constantly asking if I am taking prenatal asking and what's to know what kind and if the Dr said they were OK because my SIL has prescription ones. I'm an adult and have been taking care of myself for a very long time... back off!!
Sorry just needed to get that off my chest. I do love and respect my in laws. I just hate being compared to other people in any way as do I hate being smothered. ......
Rant over...
November 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Just wait until they start telling you about what kind of birth you should have and following that up with their horror stories.

November 10th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sucks and it's just gonna get worse and worse.. the birth, the newborn, the parenting... where they sleep, what they eat. Everyone has an opinion about everything. I just block it out now

November 10th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran
Awwww! I'm sorry! I don't have too many people in my family who would say anything to me, but I do work in a NICU, so I'm already trying to plot how to continue to eat my occasional microwave pizza for lunch and hoping nobody gives me a hard time that I sometimes still drink diet coke. I mean, jeez, I get exposed to radiation and infection all the time!
November 10th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Sad part is its not MY side of the family that's giving me a hard time. My mom is hands off in that she checks in on me and cares obviously but also knows I'm an adult and will live my life. However, DH family smothers us! She calls and texts him every day sometimes all day. They have to have their hands in everything! He doesn't see it or just doesn't care. I don't say anything about it anymore because then he just says I'm mean and don't appreciate his family.... I guess I'm just the bad guy... ALWAYS.
It may seem as though I dislike them.... I dont! I just need some room. Especially now...
November 10th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran
You'll love this, then. When I was pregnant with my first, my MIL decided that she needed to come help with the new baby, so she MOVED IN, permanently, 3 weeks before my due date. Gahhhhh! Totally been there. :-P That said, I imagine they're just really excited. Is this the first grandbaby?
November 10th, 2013, 11:41 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I'm sorry. I hate that everyone and their brother thinks they have the right to tell pregnant women what to do. With regards to your family, they mean well but they need to back off. You're an educated woman who would never put your baby in danger -- they just need to learn to trust your judgement.

Go ahead and enjoy your slice and your pop. One meal isn't going to do any harm!
moxiemommie likes this.
November 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Toasterbell... you're a saint! This is my first but I feel im ready to do this. Everykne needs some help, i get it. Bit wow! And no this not her first grandbaby. By june, this will be #4 for my in laws. My twin nephews will be 18 months in december and she is due on january 5th with their third. But' the first for my mom I'm thankful my mom is low key. I'm the high strung one and she knows how to calm me down. Mil wouldn't know what to do with me in meltdown mode!

And I know they mean well' truly I do! It's just a lot to swallow sometimes....
November 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Veteran
Awwww... hugs! Good thing you've got your momma on your side. You will do great!
November 10th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I understand how you feel, grin and bare it. I know you love them, so you deal with it, in what I am sure is a very tactful way. I hate when people gave me 'advice' with my 1st. I would just politely smile while thinking, 'oh what ever did people do before books, research, prenatal vitamins, while we had to go out and work hard and eat what we could...how did we survive??" lol

I love my SIL but it pains me when she suggests what I should name my kid, but I smile and go along with the conversation because I love her.
November 10th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh that is difficult! It the opposite for me. my MIL is great! My mom is overbearing to say the least. (and now we live with her so it makes things that much more stressful) I thank god for DF because hes the only one who can handle me, but actually MIL is pretty supportive also. I completely agree with you, everything in moderation and if you want that pizza or soda, go ahead. I think you can even have an 8oz cup of coffee per day. People really shouldnt be nit picking. If you want a soda or pepperoni, have it. Its not like you are shooting heroin or smoking meth for goodness sake! I remember one day, pretty sure it was my birthday, and I was eating "sushi"(preg wit h#2) and someone actually came up to my table started explaining to me that sushi could harm the baby. As politely as could, trying to hold back my annoyance I told them I was having a tempura shrimp roll, eel roll, (which was cooked) and a yummy yam roll (which is deep fried yam, cream cheese and mango) Then their S/O chimed in that I shouldnt eat certain kinds of fish. I replied with: thankfully shrimp isnt one of those, and took a big bite of tempura roll (because the slices were huge yummm) they finally got the hint. Im sure they talked smack about me, and I made sure they saw me take a big gulp of soda (It was rootbeer! Caffiene free!)My DF was in the bathroom and was appalled when I told him what happened when he returned. He felt so bad I got harassed, he got me another roll to-go in addition to all the left overs we took home LOL! Hes pretty awesome.

November 10th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Super Mommy
I am sorry for the extra aggravation! We don't even talk to my MIL.. She never treated my girls very nice so we are distant!

Mom of two TEENAGE girls, 16 and 13.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer Survivor
DX date Nov 20, 2009
Chemo date Jan. 11, 2010
Bilateral mast. March 16, 2010
Exchange tissue expanders September 28, 2010
Expecting the UNEXPECTED but very much wanted little bundle June 28, 2014
I just might be to old for this!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search