Tuesday Travels

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2013, 08:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What kind of vehicle do you drive? Will you be upgrading in anticipation of the baby?
December 3rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
a 2002 toyota echo. I probably won't be upgrading because I'd like to not have a car payment and I'll have this car paid off soon. As the baby gets bigger I probably will.
Jessica121706 likes this.

December 3rd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a 2005 Mazda 3 which is great but won't be practical with 2 car seats and a booster seat. We will likely keep this vehicle cause it is good on as and is practical for hubby to get to work and if I only have 1 or 2 kids with me.

We also have a 2002 Jeep Cherokee that I think we will trade in to get a van. We are in desperate need of space for sure
December 3rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
First-time Mom
I have an ancient Toyota Corolla but I only drive it on weekends; school is within walking distance for me and the school also runs a shuttle. I'll definitely be upgrading after starting my new job next fall.
December 3rd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue that is on it's last leg! It needs SO much work, but it's at least safe for now. (The work needed isn't a safety hazard) My DP has a 2012 (or 13?) Honda Civic 4 dr though, and that's what we use for everything. I only use my car to and from work.
We don't want another car payment, and DP's car won't be paid off for 3 years... and with our schedules for now (he works thirds) we can even use the same car if needed.. so that's our plan IF my car finally breaks down for good. Plus, during the spring-fall my DP can drive his motorcycle to and from work, and I could use the Honda whenever as well. So, really we're ok. BUT, I WANT a new car so badly.

December 3rd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Super Mommy
We have a 2012 Honda Pilot and a 2008 Saturn Outlook. We actually upgraded the pilot for the air in the back a summer ago. The Outlook was a trade from my dad when he got a new car. Both have enough seats for people and I drive my friend's little one so often that I have two car seats in my car anyway right now. We won't be changing anything unless one really breaks down.

We had the Britax Boulevard car seat for Mark. It's a rear facing seat, so I'm debating about a middle seat for that one or a side seat. It all depends on where the side is to climb in and out of the back seats and whether or not DS would be accidentally unbuckling the car seat instead of his seat.

December 3rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
momRT's Avatar Veteran
I have an '06 Hyundai Accent. I hate it but it's paid off and it has great gas mileage and I have a 50 mile commute to work. BD has an '04 Chevy Silverado, it'll fit all six of us after the baby is born but won't be very practical so we're going to trade it in for a suburban.
Jackson 01/27/2014
Born at 19 weeks and 2 days

December 3rd, 2013, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty. It was great for the young, single girl, but will not make a good baby car. It has the retractable roof, which I thought was so great when I got the car. But, it's just noisy and loud, even when closed. Plus, it's a gas guzzler.

The plan is that I will get a new car, which will be the family car for whenever we all go somewhere. We've considered a few options, but aren't set on any single car yet. We probably won't buy until late winter or early spring anyways.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

December 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
alliebeecher's Avatar Veteran
I drive a 2012 Mazda6 and my husband has a 2012 Mazda3 hatchback. We definitely weren't planning to have a baby when we took on 2 car payments, lol. They're really good cars though!
December 3rd, 2013, 10:05 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Ugh! This is such a debate between DH and I

Right now, I drive a 2013 Jeep Patriot. When DS was born, I had a 2007 Chevy Cobalt, 2 door. I drove it until last year (he was 2) and updated. I so wish I had waited now. It's the perfect car for a family of 4 (seriously, if this is baby 1 or 2 for anyone and you need an upgrade, I highly recommend it, haha. The price is amazing and the gas mileage is great-I get 29 mpg combined), but there is no way to fit 3 car seats in the back. Even if we did get cheap boosters and booster the 3 and 5 year old (which I hate to do, especially when they fit perfectly in their carseats).

DH drives and 1892 Honda Civic. Okay, I don't know the actual year, but it has 256,000 miles on it (that's serious). It also can't fit all 3 kids, but it's great on gas, paid off, the insurance on it is basically nothing. So he will keep it to drive to work until it dies.

So...I feel like we should trade the Jeep in (even though I will cry) and get a Grand Caravan. Which, DH agrees we should do at some point (technically, he wants an Escalade or a Suburban, but I have convinced him that while the kids are small a mini van is going to be way better). HOWEVER, he also has a truck. It's a 2006 Silverado crew cab. And technically, it seats 6. We could easily fit 3 car seats in the back. BUT...it would be tight. There would be no extra room. And DS and DSD would be able to mess with the baby. DH says the truck will be fine for awhile, and if we really can't aford the mini van, I'll be okay with it. I just want to LOOK and see if maybe we can get it before baby comes home.

December 3rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I drive a 2001 Ford Expedition we bought two years ago when I was pregnant with DS. Hubby Drives 1997 Ford F350 crew cab long box. My SUV is our family reg. I refuse to own a mini van. Where we live and for our lifes a van wouldn't work. I tow trailers for DH when he needs help moving both his work trailers. We also have a flatbed F350 that needs a new clutch that we've debated put up for sale. If we upgrade it'd be to a newer Tahoe that seats 9. We're happy with what we have and will make it work. Right now we have 3 boosters and one car seat. In April one of those boosters goes away.

December 3rd, 2013, 10:55 AM
njkatc's Avatar Kelly
I got a Honda Odyssey after Ava was born so that we would have plenty of room for all of us and our stuff and the dog. So we'll still have enough room, just Alex will be bumped to the 3rd row. Its not paid off for a few more years so we will be keeping it for quite a while. I LOVE it though, so I don't mind.

December 3rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
bluewren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have a vehicle. DH drives a 2001 Rav4. I guess in theory I could drive the Rav4 but DH always takes it for work so it's not like I have much opportunity to drive it anyways.

We would like to eventually upgrade to a slightly bigger car but other expenses keep coming. I can't complain too much, at least our car still works.

December 3rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
2011 Nissan Pathfinder. Decided that I won't be upgrading, I would hate to tack the remaining balance of whats owed on this loan to a new loan! I may move my 4yr old to the 3rd row.
December 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a 2005 Kia carnival... It fits 7 quite comfortably... With 6 of us already, if I would have had twins we would have needed an upgrade... We were planning on buying a small car for me to drive to work but not really worth it now since I'm leaving work at end of April and taking 12 months off...

December 3rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have an SUV - 2007 GMC Envoy that will be hopefullyl paid off this summer and we also have a 2007 Ford F150 the full size with four doors. No upgrading for us! I don't want another car payment once my car is paid off since childcare is sooo expensive!!!
December 3rd, 2013, 03:11 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have an 05 ford escape. Will fit the four of us plus the dog just fine

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 3rd, 2013, 03:29 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
We have an '03 Subaru Forester. I have a love/hate relationship with it. On the one hand I love that we have a hatchback that fits tons of stuff but that still drives like a car. On the other hand, its the most miserable car to fit carseats into. We just spent a ton of money doing some maintenance on the thing so its unlikely we'll be selling it any time soon. We'll probably just get another car some day in the future when DH and I are no longer working at the same location.

December 3rd, 2013, 04:39 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I've got a 2012 Elantra. Perfect for one kiddo, hoping it will be perfect for two. I think we're going to okay with just a single-kid stroller, so the smaller trunk shouldn't be an issue.
December 3rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Thankfully, we are good! No upgrade needed since they will all fit. I have a 08 Ford Expedition. Love it and we all fit comfortably (the new one will, too). Although, DH keeps joking that we need to upgrade to a 16 passenger van...ummmmm.....no! My plan is to drive this truck for as long as possible as I really don't a car payment for a while after we pay this off shortly. Hopefully, I'll drive this until my oldest turns 15/16 (8-9 more years) and it will be his first ride
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Tags
dotw qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search