Childbirth Classes

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By AllyTales
  • 1 Post By AllyTales

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2013, 06:43 PM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
Are any of you doing childbirth classes? I know the majority of you are second time moms, did you take them with your previous children? If so, what type of class was it and how many weeks were you when you started?

I was just browsing some booklets from my midwifes office and see a childbirth class paper.. so I went online for more info, and it tells all about the classes offered but not when you should attend? (like how far along) so I have no idea when that should be done, or when I should call to schedule.

There's a class called "prepared childbirth" that's 2 weeks long. There's an "All about infants" one, breastfeeding preparation, breastfeeding support, infant safety and CPR, maternity tour, pain relief class and a sibling class <~ don't need that yet lol.

I'd like to maybe take a breastfeeding one, and the prepared childhood. I think I'm pretty educated on the whole thing (as much as you can be without going through it) but I kinda think they would benefit my DH too.. so I'd like to attend those.

You guys doing anything?
Britt3 and Demetria like this.

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
December 9th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
None! lol. We will do the CPR class as a refresher, but I have decided on a repeat C-section. They don't have classes for us.

Had I chosen to go with VBAC, I would have taken a Lamaze/Child birth prep refresher class. I think we are letting the kids do a sibling tour of the hospital as well.

Have fun in yours, as a first time mom they are lots of fun and very informative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyTales View Post

I'd like to maybe take a breastfeeding one, and the prepared childhood. I think I'm pretty educated on the whole thing (as much as you can be without going through it) but I kinda think they would benefit my DH too.. so I'd like to attend those.
I do recommend the Breast feeding class! Those along with the lactation nurses at the hospital will be very very helpful!

Last edited by Demetria; December 9th, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
December 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I took some type of class the first time around -- I don't remember what it was specifically called, by it was 4 weeks long. We did a bunch of labor and delivery, Lamaze type of things, there was a maternity tour (which was pointless as I wasn't delivering at the hospital) and then a crash course on how to take care of a newborn. Kinda was a waste of time BUT I don't regret NOT taking it.

The one class that I do strongly recommend is the child/infant CPR class. I'm going to make DH sign up for one again as a refresher as it'll be 4 years this summer since we last took it.
December 9th, 2013, 06:57 PM
We are actually certified in CPR! DH as a police officer, of course. And because of that, he made me learn.. I actually became certified soon after we married. And I take refreshers. So that particular one wouldn't be needed for us (though I agree, I absolutely recommend it).

I'm told lots of classes are kind of a waste. If anything, I think DH may learn a bunch. And maybe I'll make some friends I definitely want the tour of the hospital and maternity ward. I guess I'll ring them up tomorrow and ask when I should sign up.
moxiemommie likes this.

December 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would do CPR but as a volunteer firefighter Brian is already certified and has taught me. I never took any classes and went into the whole thing somewhat "blind" with my first. If I had a choice, I would go with the breastfeeding classes. For me the worst thing about breast feeding was its very painful for me, and Id love some tips to make it less painful so I can just enjoy holding the baby, instead of being in tears and dreading feeding time. I did pretty well with breathing and just trying to focus through contractions, so Lamaze wouldnt be a priority for me.

December 9th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I took classes with Brigham.. don't remember how far along I was. Probably late 20 weeks to early 30 weeks? I think that's generally when they recommend them.. you're far enough along that you won't forget, but not so far along you'll go into labor during class. Our class was through our hospital and was about 6 weeks long.

This time, we are doing another childbirth class, more for DF's benefit than mine. I'm also doing a prenatal breastfeeding class and a CPR one if the hospital offers it.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

December 9th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With Sara I took Lamaze, breast feeding and childcare 101. I wouldn't recommend the childcare but the others I would, even if you plan on epidural Lamaze is important cause staying calm and breathing can help in early labor
December 9th, 2013, 08:21 PM
alliebeecher's Avatar Veteran
Sigh! The classes thing stresses me out. I've heard that Infant CPR is really good to take, and I want to do breastfeeding and labor classes. Not so sure about childcare - since I'll be taking breastfeeding anyway, it might be redundant. I've changed plenty of diapers even as a FTM, lol.
December 10th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If you don't do an actual class Hypnobabies has a home study course that I heard is awesome...

I will be getting that this pregnancy, with my first I was so focused on my job at the time that I didn't take a class, I read a bunch of natural birth books and a couple Bfing books.... I will be re-reading those books this time as well....
December 10th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I'm not doing the child care one. I know what to do with babies (Ok well, all babies are different- and nothing is like your own, but you get my point). We've both been around a ton of babies, changed diapers, fed.. we don't need that one. I actually found in small print last night that they recommend them about 10 weeks before.. but I can sign up earlier, so I'll do that!

December 10th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, thanks for the reminder. I got information from my doctor that I need to go through. I definitely want to do a breastfeeding class, infant CPR, and I may do a Baby 101 class for DH's sake. I have tons if baby experience, but he has none!

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

December 10th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't take any classes my first time around - mainly because I was preparing for a home birth, and didn't feel that the classes I looked into would be a good fit for me. I actually spent many weeks/months/hours upon hours watching videos online of home births, and natural births. I feel that actually helped me a ton.

This time around I'd like to take some natural birthing classes- maybe the Bradley Method or Hypnobirthing classes. Mainly to learn how to be more calm- although I feel my first birth was calm, but I was too exhausted. Also, to get my DP involved more since he's so scared of the birth already.

I also want to take as many breastfeeding classes as possible!!

December 10th, 2013, 03:15 PM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm CPR certified because my parents are both health instructors for the American Red Cross. My midwife center offers classes that I'll probably attend and my bf will absolutely go to. He has zero practice with a baby, so I want him to get a little familiarity with it. A breastfeeding class would be awesome.

December 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
During DD's pregnancy we took the Childbirth Class offered by my birth center. I think it was 4 weeks and we started at like 30 weeks. There was info on pain management, what happens during a transfer, info about BFing, etc. We also took the Hypnobirthing series. I think Hypnobirthing helped DH a lot more than it helped me. It gave him some things he could actually do during my labor. I think that was like 4-6 weeks (OMG, mommy brain) and I started around 27 weeks. We did an infant CPR class at a local hospital somewhere in there.

After the birth, I attended a weekly Mom & Baby group at my Birth Center. THAT helped more than anything with the early days. It was like a group like this only face to face and moderated by a doula.

We might take a CPR refresher course and I'll probably whip out my Hypnobirthing CDs but that's it. I'll definitely be doing Mom & Baby group when the baby is here

December 11th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Super Mommy
I had Mark in April and I remember taking the classes in Feb. I was about 30 weeks at the time. I also thought I'd be making friends, but really the couples were couples and so no one really bonded as a result. I honestly believe that most of the men in the room were a little embarrassed to openly TALK about breastfeeding and labor activities in a group of other pregnant women. All it would take is one wise crack and the guys would lose it as a group.

DH didn't really feel that the classes were worth his time. I will say, he really did read the daddy books because we went to the store and bought the ones that he pulled down from the shelf. Some were humorous, but mostly they were filled with information that made him feel more knowledgeable.

When it came to handling the actual newborn, he stepped right up. BUT I have learned in all of our years of marriage that if I criticize his methods of something (like laundry), he is less willing to do the job. Guess who handles 100% of the laundry? This girl. So, when a diaper looked like it was going to slide right off, and it did, and he got a little soaked by the kid, DH learned to tighten them down a bit. If I had said, "you better tighten that down" he would have backed off for the next 3 years of diapers. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll clean the mess a few times and he will learn to do the task better.

In the end, all the prep in the world (I did do hypnobabies) didn't prep me for 9 hours of pitocin, an epidural the c-section I ended up with after 26 hours of labor. And I have been told VBAC for me is not really an option. So, if I end up in labor, it will truly be a surprise to us all. Likely it will be a scheduled c, so I probably won't bother dragging him to any classes.

I might do a breastfeeding refresher, but I have books and I comfortable with the whole task including pumping now (I was pretty freaked out by the pump with DS). So, I might not go crazy unless I feel like it will help pass the time.

December 11th, 2013, 09:36 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I would highly recommend the breastfeeding class, as well as the Bradley method of childbirth. I'm having a repeat section, but Bradley is what I took before my first. It got me through 29 hours of labor (w/pitocin I might add) with absolutely ZERO pain meds. Not just no epi, I mean no demerol, nothing at all needed to take the edge off. And, if my water hadn't been broken for the entire 29hrs, I would've easily been able to continue laboring using that method. I loved the focus on your internal strength and the pain with a purpose focus they use. My MWs highly recommend Bradley for any mother wanting a med-free birth. Not sure if that's you or not, because to each their own as far as pain relief during labor, LOL.

I wish I could have VBACs. If I could I would probably take the bradley refresher course. However, my pelvic structure is too narrow and my pubic bone too flat to allow my babies to pass through. With my first after the 29hrs w/pitocin, I was only to 5cm (and that was when my MW stretched it...more like a 4.5cm) and I hadn't changed for the last 10hrs of labor. At that point, they knew there was a reason that he couldn't come down and they discovered he was wedged and stuck when they did the c-section. I may be the only person, at least that I know of, that had to have a vacuum delivery during a c-section with 2 of mine because they were stuck in my pelvis and they had to use the vacuum force to get them free! Anyway, all that to say that don't let my failure to be able to birth naturally serve as a testament to the effectiveness of Bradley. Actually, my MW and nurses said they'd never seen a mom labor so long without anything, especially on pitocin, and do it as calmly and handle the contractions as well as I had. It was all thanks to Bradley!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

December 11th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took childbirth classes at our hospital with my first. I was a childbirth geek kinda and already knew most of what they were saying BUT it was a fun experience with Dh, and it was good for him to hear first hand all of that as well, being my support person.

Didn't take any classes the second time around but I did read books on hypnobirthing and some others.

I might consider taking a class at our new hospital this time, simply to check out the new hospital in the new state.. get a feel for their way of thinking and nurses, etc. We'll see!

December 11th, 2013, 07:51 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We took a childbirth class at a local OB-GYN office (not mine), that was 4-6 weeks (can't remember exactly), but I know I was in my third trimester. I also took a one day breastfeeding class taught by the same woman who taught the childbirth classes. I am CPR certified as a nurse already, and DH went and got certified. I didn't take any infant type classes, since I am a Pediatric nurse, and I just taught DH along the way

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
December 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I took a class with DS at the local birth center (not the hospital class) because I knew I wanted a natural birth. It was great.

This time, I will take the class with DH at the local birth center (since it will be our first time having a baby together and his first itme experiencing a natural labor, hopefully) and the kids will take the sibling class offered there as well

December 12th, 2013, 10:50 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I remember taking a sibling class when my mom was expecting my sister. All I recall was putting a diaper on a doll.

What do they cover in a sibling class? I'd be interested in taking DD to one but not if they're going to go over a bunch of stuff we don't do (ex: bottle-feeding).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search