Milk drinkers?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 1 Post By Wish44
  • 1 Post By AtomicMama
  • 1 Post By Missymoos
  • 1 Post By TeamMom2008
  • 1 Post By jayepink
  • 1 Post By alliebeecher

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I'm concerned I don't drink enough milk.....I actually haven't drank much since I found out I was pregnant. I make a smoothie each morning and it has about 1/2 cup of milk in it so I guess at least I get 1/2 cup a day.

Now that I'm almost to my 2nd trimester I'm worried that I should have drank more, not sure why I never thought about it before now.

Has everyone been drinking milk - esp through 1st trimester???
December 12th, 2013, 11:08 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't drink any milk, neither does my DD (well, not cow's milk). Humans don't need cow's milk. Eat healthfully and you'll be just fine.
AtomicMama, cortln and susie_q like this.

December 12th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been upping my milk intake. Pre-pregnancy I only really drank a glass of milk if I was having a cookie or something sweet to go with it. I had it in things and put it on my cereal, but never drank milk. Now, I'm really aiming to get a solid 3-4 servings of dairy per day. I usually try to drink a glass of milk or calcium fortified OJ with breakfast and maybe one other time throughout the day. Cheese and yogurt also counts as a calcium serving, although milk has twice the calcium as those.

It's hard, and it my first trimester it was REALLY hard because I was so sick. Honestly, it didn't happen a lot of the time. I wouldn't beat yourself up. I'd say if you start drinking milk now, you are good. The baby is eating from the yolk sac for a good portion of the first trimester anyways.
cortln likes this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

December 12th, 2013, 11:15 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I have been struggling with dairy in general this pregnancy. Also, I rarely drink milk on it's own. I like it, but not the extra calories Anything milk can offer I can get elsewhere.
cortln likes this.

December 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicMama View Post
I have been struggling with dairy in general this pregnancy. Also, I rarely drink milk on it's own. I like it, but not the extra calories Anything milk can offer I can get elsewhere.
I really didn't think about the yogurt I eat daily and cheese. That makes me feel a little better lol
December 12th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
If you can't stand dairy right now - you can get your calcium from other sources (there are tons of foods with Calcium in them!). I actually love milk, so long as it's 1% or Skim...and I find mixing skim milk with the 1% chocolate milk makes it extra easy to drink

I do however also take a calcium supplement everyday - just make sure you take it with or food or with a vitamin D vitamin/supplement so your body can absorb as much calcium as possible
cortln likes this.
December 12th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Super Mommy
There are so many sources for calcium other than milk. Yogurt, cheese, soy milk and cereal are some choices. I've been eating cottage cheese and slices of cheese with crackers. I'm not convinced that you need to drink milk to get calcium.
cortln likes this.

December 12th, 2013, 11:39 AM
trusting and believing
I only use cow's milk if it's involved in a recipe. I do consume yogurt and cheese, but have had to do so sparingly thus far this pregnancy just because they've been on my "yuck" list. I'm starting to feel better though, and think I'll be able to stomach them now, but I didn't think there was really a need to try and consume/increase consumption of dairy during pregnancy.
cortln likes this.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
December 12th, 2013, 11:42 AM
alliebeecher's Avatar Veteran
I've been obsessed with milk since I got pregnant. I drink it all day and night. That said, you don't have to drink it at all if you don't want to. There's calcium enriched OJ, cheese, yogurt, and I think even spinach works.
cortln likes this.
December 12th, 2013, 12:06 PM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
Nope, I don't drink a lot. I don't care for milk, unless it's in a smoothie. I do try and drink a smoothie a day.. like you, it's 1/2 cup milk. I asked my midwife and she said don't worry about it. I get it in other forms instead- I eat a ton of yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, etc. She said that was fine enough

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
December 12th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I usually don't drink it but I have been craving it. Specifically chocolate milk, ALL the time. And I indulge because milk is healthy and chocolate is healthy and LA LA LA IT'S HEALTHY.

Plus I don't buy chocolate syrup anymore, I brew it up myself and it tastes better and is just unsweetened cocoa, water, and sugar, instead of 1,001 mysteriously difficult-to-pronounce ingredients. So I feel okay in my ignorant bliss-bubble of chocolateliness.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

December 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I don't drink milk, pregnant or not. I don't like it not pregnant and I definitely can't force myself to stomach it preggo. I do get a small amount when I get my iced mochas since it's made with a little. But, other than that...nope. I've not had it with any of my pregnancies and never had any issues. My MW isn't concerned, as the others said, there's plenty of other sources for calcium!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

December 12th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've never been a huge milk fan. I get plenty of dairy from other foods. My OB doesn't care too much about intake other then water he pushes water big time which I have always loved.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search