Cloth diaper newbie

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By angelsailor288

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2014, 07:07 PM
Veteran
Ok June mommies I need some advice. When we found out we were finally pregnant DH and I started talking about ways to save money. Cloth diapers were one of the first things I mentioned and DH was 100% on board. (We used disposables with the other 2) He helps me in the nursery at church occasionally and one of the babies is cloth diapered. He has helped me changed the diapers and seeing how easy it really is helped us with that decision. That mom uses the prefolds placed in a cover.

I am starting to get serious about it and slowly starting to buy some items here and there. I went to a local consignment store and got 2 off white FuzziBunz x-small for $8 each. (Wasn't sure if it was a good deal so I didn't want to get more than 2.)

I also just bought I believe it was 8 newborn prefolds, 11 prefolds (can't remember the size), 56 cloth wipes, and 2 snappis from a woman locally that I am picking up tomorrow for $25.

I also told her I would take the 14 new Gerber and Child of Mine prefolds she posted for $5. She said these were better for making custom burp cloths than diapering.

Is this a decent start? Where should I go from here? Advice/opinions/suggestions lol

Mommy of two Boys
Expecting Baby Boy #3!!

Angel in Heaven 7/2013
January 31st, 2014, 07:13 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gerber prefolds are horrible. Pass on them if you can. Even for burp cloths they suck. The fabric just falls apart.

Anyway, if you are interested in doing prefolds those are definitely the cheapest option and great for newborn stage. As they get older I prefer pockets because it's quicker.
You can get Alvas for about $5-7 each. They work great. Some kids need two inserts instead of one.

Keep in mind you need some wet bags . I like medium or small for going out and large at home. Any other questions?
MarchMom2007 likes this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 31st, 2014, 07:34 PM
Veteran
Oooh, me too, me too! I used disposable diapers for the first two, but really want to use cloth this time. So far I've only purchased two cute minky THX newborn AIO's off ebay (they're like a lil joey's copy) for $7 each and a flip cover. I'm thinking of starting with 2 Thirsties XS covers, a dozen GMD orange edge prefolds, and a couple GMD workhorse fitted, plus renting some Fuzzibunz XS, some Tots Bots Tini Fits, and some Blueberry simplex newborn. That way I don't have a huge investment, and I can see what direction I want to go with my bigger kid stash. I'm sure I can order extras/bigger versions of stuff I like as needed and get it pretty quickly. What do y'all think?

As far as your stash goes, it might be worth it to get a cover or two and see how the prefolds you've got are going to fit. (just an idea from a newbie like you). I was surprised how tiny my preemie prefold I borrowed from work looked in the giant flip cover. What kind of covers are you thinking of using?

-Gypsy
January 31st, 2014, 07:48 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I'm in the same boat, too! We are still waiting on a CD 101 class in mid February before we go stash-crazy, but so far we are planning on a ton of GMD prefolds and then 6-7 Rumparooz newborn covers with aplix. Once we move up to one-size, we'll switch to snaps. I'm excited that there is a decent bunch of CDing mama's in this DDC, I can't wait to see everyone's fluff!!!

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

January 31st, 2014, 07:56 PM
Veteran
I have been watching YouTube videos and that's where I saw that the prefolds with a cover was better during the newborn stage. Still trying to figure out what covers to get. I was thinking about the Thirsties xs covers because I saw they had a place for the umbilical cord.

How many covers/ prefolds/ snappis should I plan on having for the newborn stage?
Which do most prefer for at home changes- a pail with a liner or the wet bags? Will one help keep the smell down more than the other?
What other supplies will I need?

I need to see if there are any cloth diaper classes in my area lol

Mommy of two Boys
Expecting Baby Boy #3!!

Angel in Heaven 7/2013
January 31st, 2014, 08:17 PM
You can do a garbage can with a pail liner in it or get some giant wet bags. I just got a bummis giant wet bag this thing is huge! I love it.

Keep an eye on the forums at diaperswappers.com and fb groups like cloth diaper swap and sell. You can get good prices on wet bags and diapers and such.

I recommend getting a test NOW to see if your water is hard or soft. If it's hard you need certain detergents.

January 31st, 2014, 09:56 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
The most adaptable and economical option for NBs are prefolds and covers. Gerber are crap. Burn them. I use Green Mountain Diaper prefolds. They are the bomb diggity. My NB GMDs have now been through 3 kids and they look like new. I used the size large GMDs on my DD for like 2 years (with decreasing frequency over the second year) and they're still practically like new. Nothing beats prefolds when it comes to absorbency. For a NB you'll want:
12-15 NB prefolds per day (so 36-45 to wash every 3 days)
5ish covers (Thirsties XS and prowraps are great)
Some snappies
1 large wet bag
1 small/med wet bag for traveling
CD safe diaper cream
CD safe detergent

If you want to save a little cash and you think your baby will grow quickly, you can skip NB size and just get smalls. They'll be a wee but big but they'll work a heck of a lot longer. DD outgrew NB size at 4 weeks.

OS diapers become useful around 12-15 lbs, depending on the brand. That could be a one month old or a 5-6 month old, depending on baby. IMO, buying smaller sized all in ones (AIOs) or fitteds is a waste of money. Yes, I have a few smaller fitteds but I'm an insane person with a CD addiction.

I have a huge Fuzzi Bunz wet bag that I just hang in the closet (above the change table). There's no keeping stink in. Wet bags let the diapers air out. If your diapers WREAK there are things you can do.

Washing routines are personal. What detergent you use depends on your water type, your washer, and your personal preference. Try to find CDers in your area and see what detergent works for them. For the most part, a CD wash cycle consists of an initial cold wash to remove poop, a hot wash with detergent, then a final quick wash/rinse to further remove detergent. Old school top loaders are work horse diaper machines. Front loaders can take some tweaking but the solution is out there for pretty much any washer what with how popular CDing has become. I prefer to wash every 3-4 days. I hardly feel the extra 2 loads a week that way. Washing every day is a serious chore. Every other day is doable but not necessary. Heck, I was washing like once a week when I was just washing DDs night time diapers.

Drying can be done in the the drier or on a line. I do it in the drier because I'm lazy and it's dusty here in AZ. I have Blueberry covers that I dried like that for 3 years and they're still going strong.

There are loads more tips and tricks but that's pretty much all you need to know to get started.

February 1st, 2014, 12:53 PM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
We are doing cloth here as well. I did cloth with my soon to be 7 year old when he was born, but I bought too many fitteds and AIO's. I had (and still do have) a front loader and they were just impossible to keep clean and fresh smelling. The stink just got to me at around 11 months and he was so super rashy all the time, I switched to disposable.

This time around I not only have a front loader, I also have hard water, which makes everything harder to deal with. I am not even really using many prefolds for this babe. I plan to use flats and either pad fold them into a cover, or pin them or snappi them onto the babe and put a cover over. I have a clothes line that I plan to use for drying, and I am going to use a water softener with every load to help with the build up.

We are actually planning to have a cloth diaper tie dye part in April or May to dye up the 3 dozen flats I have so far. I can't wait!

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
February 1st, 2014, 03:04 PM
Oh if you want more thx newborns, join thx co op on Facebook. There's a co op open right now they're $4.40 each

February 3rd, 2014, 11:18 AM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyone I know has different opinions on diapers.. most of it is personal preference, and it may take a little while to get a feel for what you like.

I prefer OS pocket diapers for my kids. I like pockets because you can adjust the absorbency and they are easy. I used prefolds and covers for my older son when he got over 2 y/o because it was the only thing that worked for him overnight. In general I preferred pockets overall, though. I use almost all Sunbaby diapers because they are cheap and they work.

For newbie age, I didn't cloth with my older son but I did with my middle. I used all newborn thx brand all in one diapers. I definitely by far recommend All-in-one diapers for newborn. It's funny b/c I hated AIO for regular age but with newbie I wouldn't have any other way. There were a lot of times I was standing there switching out a diaper at 2 AM thinking "no way would I want to be using a prefold right now" lol because I ALMOST bought a ton of prefolds when they went on sale when GMD changed their stock out.

It's DEFINITELY personal preference though. No matter what route you go, newborn size will not last you too long. Some people skip this stage altogether since it's outgrown so quickly, or some use prefolds for this very reason. I think if you use prefolds and covers, or cheap aio's it'll still be a savings compared to buying sposies since they go through so, so many at that stage. The diapers I used were the THX brand and I'm actually putting a buy together for them now, so I can order a ton for myself for this time as well lol they are $3.50 each. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/diamondsanddirt/)

If you plan to breastfeed, the diapers can go straight from baby's butt, to the wetbag, to the wash. Make sure you have a good wash routine (I do: Cold rinse, hot wash, 2 extra rinses to be safe- detergent build-up can cause issues). If formula feeding I think they may need a rinse off before putting them in the wetbag. Everyone has different experiences with detergent, it depends on if you have hard or soft water, and other variables. I use just original TIDE, but others are not a fan of that. It may take some trial and error to find the right match for you. I typically just hang dry my diapers but they can be thrown in the dryer as well.

That's all I got for now!

February 3rd, 2014, 11:32 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I CDed with DS, and honestly, it's all about what works best for you Are you a SAHM? Many daycare providers will cloth diaper (at least here, I've not found one that will not), but they require one piece systems (so prestuffed Pocket Diapers or All in Ones) and will not do prefolds. That said, prefolds are the least expensive option. The Gerber prefolds stink, I agree with the pp who said that. I loved Oso Cozy prefolds for the price. I've heard great things about Green Mountain Diaper prefolds.

There is so much info out there, and so many different opinions. Look around, read up on facebook, and if there is a cloth diaper store near you, go visit! There are really inexpensive ways to CD and then there are ways that will cost you as much as college tuition. There are more eco-friendly ways and less eco-friendly ways. Just do what is best for your family and your reasons for chosing the CD route! If you are thick skinned and know what your reasons are, there are some great Facebook groups where people will give lots of advice and then there are B/S/T boards where you can sometimes get good deals.

February 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the facebook co-op ideas! I hadn't even looked there. I just received my two THX minky newborn diapers from Ebay today, and they're adorable. Little, cute, comfy, and soft, they also look like they're well made. The stitching is even and the snaps work right. I will definitely look into getting some more of these before Wyatt comes (although it looks like you can only order single gusset now, and these are double gusset). Even if it just works for a week or two, they look comfy on that super soft newborn skin, and I can always resell them or lend them to a friend :-).

This will probably be my last baby, and I plan on spoiling the crap outta him ;-). I have to go back to work at 6 weeks, but my husband isn't working right now, and my mom and MIL both babysit when he's got other things to do, so I don't have to worry about daycare (thank goodness).

-Gypsy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search