my terrifying friday night and now i think i want a gun

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 4 angel babies
DISCLAIMER: this isn't a post about debating gun control, or the practice of hunting, all of that is apart of a lifestyle that i grew up in. this is contemplating if i should have a gun in my home for protection.

ive grown up around guns all my life, i have my gun safety cert., i've hunted all kinds of game, and i've shot rifles, pistols, shotguns and bows. after my sons were born, i told DH i didn't feel comfortable having guns in our home until they were older (if that) so we keep that stuff at the in laws, locked away in their shop.

last friday night was a pretty typical night. i spent a good two hours fighting with the boys to go to bed. DH works evenings so he doesn't get off until 11p. finally at around 10p they were in bed and i went downstairs into the kitchen to get more ice for my pop. the way my living room is configured is when you step off the staircase you are right near the front door. when i walked by i noticed it was unlocked, so i just locked the top dead bolt (not on the handle, the one right above) and went about my business. i usually locked the door when i come home but sometimes it slips my mind. i got my ice and went back up stairs.

i was watching girl code (i flipping love girl code) and i thought i heard footsteps on our front porch. it's made out of wood so you can usually hear someone approaching the door. i looked at the clock but it was only about 10:45p so i knew it couldn't be DH. i lowered the volume on the TV and listened or a minute, and nothing. so i wrote it off as maybe the cats were running up and down the basement stairs (also wood stairs). a few minutes later i heard it again so i turned down the volume again to listen. nothing. bleeping cats i thought, must be tearing apart the livingroom (which they are known to do, especially when they fight). another few minutes pass and i hear the footsteps again but this time i hear this noise, kind of like a pounding. not a knock, or a fist pounding, something muffled and not rythmic (a knock is usually rythmic). still at this point i'm not overly concerned because when they cats wrestle they make a lot of noice so i, again, ignored it.

i start hearing this muffled voice and so i turned down the tv yet again but i couldn't decifer it, so i muted it all together and i hear this yelling and cursing along with this pounding. my first thought is downstairs tv. but as i'm putting the peices together, i know i shut the tv off, and even if i didn't, it was on Nick Jr (for Kale) and they don't cuss. i heard by door handle jiggle and i realized what was happening, someone was trying to shoulder in my front door. i didn't lock the handle lock, remember, so that would have turned normally, but the deadbolt was locked, so they had my door handle turned and were trying to get the door to open. it's 11p, so i know it's not the girl scouts.

i leap out of bed and run to the other side of the room where my cell was charging and i pick it up ready to call the police but all at once the noise stopped. i was near my window that looks out into the front yard. i can't see the doorway from there, but the light that shines off would project a shadow and i didn't see one. granted i was terrified and waited a minute or two before i finally looked out. it is a motion sensor light that sometimes kickes on from a passing car, but it stays lit for about 20 seconds after something kicks it off. i don't remember if i car set the sensor off, but when i looked, it was on. i looked up and down the streets and i didn't see anything out of the ordinary. but i was NOT going downstairs to check it out.

i looked at the time and it was 11:04. DH was going to run to walmart after work so i text him and said 'COME HOME NOW'. ofcourse he called and i told him everything that happened. about the foot steps and the door and he raced home to find nothing amiss. the door was still securely locked (i told him to tug on it first to make sure), the side door was locked, no footprints in the snow around the sides or back of our house. i kept telling DH 'i swear someone was at our door!' i think he was not believing me. we sat in our bedroom while i kept retelling the story, and i kept hearing a car pull into our driveway (you can hear the crunch of the snow) and pulling out. after like the third time i finally looked out. the police had pulled into our driveway and were shining their spotlights across our yard, then leaving. DH says well you better go out and talk to them if you called them. i was like 'but i didn't call them...'

i don't know who called the cops. their central focus was at a house at the other end of the block (known for domestics) so who knows if they were connected, but it was clearly terrifying. i told DH i want a hand gun in the house. i'm 6mo preg and i have two young kids in the house, i have NO defense if someone actually got in. and i'm a pretty good shot too. i don't like guns around my children but when it comes to their safety, if you are intending on coming into my house with the intent of hurting one of my boys, i will make sure you don't live to talk about it. we haven't bought one yet, but we've started pricing them out, plus pricing out this super fancy security case to keep them in so they can't accidentally open it. if we get one, we're going to hide it and not tell them we have it until they are older.

your thoughts on any other ideas?
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
09/03/2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
February 3rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
Your story made my heart pound!

I grew up with a dc cop father, so I'm used to having guns in the house. He always kept the gun in a safe that only he knew the code for, and ammo in the other, and he was incredibly anal about gun safety, so no way any of us would be able to get them.

Bf is pro-gun and would like to have one safely in the house. If I had some proper training, I would feel more comfortable owning one, so down the line we probably will. Scary for you though! I understand wanting one, what you went through was crazy! Glad y'all are okay.

February 3rd, 2014, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say you could get a gun in a gun safe, but first I would say get a dog. We live way out in the country and have had a few weirdos come to the door... Sadie barks and barks but they arent deterred. Until they see Max. He isnt very big but hes a 105lb pit/saffy cross. I think it has to do with the pitbul stereotype. He is GREAT with people... until you try to hurt me or one of "his" kids. We had a roomate back in our old house and he kept messing with Sadie (I told him to leave the dogs alone) anyways Sadie yelped, and Max growled at him backed him into a wall and kept him there until Bri came in. That was the only real incident. Hes always been loving and great with the kids, and will NOT let a newborn baby out of his sight. If that baby cries he comes to get me and runs from me to baby until I go get that baby LOL. Im not saying he would be the right breed for your family, but I would get a dog with some muscle. Sadie is super agile but is not strong, so max makes up for that. Hes also the mellow one LOL.

February 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
DH and his family are very pro-gun. I hate hate that DH has one. I hate that he doesn't keep it well locked (he says if it's locked then there is no point, since he can't get to it). I grew up in an area where everyone had hunting guns in gun safes, but no one had hand guns. My dad had a hunting rifle, but no ammo, and my brother and I never knew he had it. It was more of a collectible from my grandfather, and my dad didn't hunt once we were born.

Anyway, I guess, I just don't get it. I'm not debating, and I understand that many people DO feel safer and find it safer to keep a gun in the house. All I can think about is my kids finding it some day. I also had a close friend in high school whose brother passed from a very tragic gun accident, so I'm sure that drives many of my feelings.

February 3rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Super Mommy
I gotta say, I'd be creeped out too!!! What about a home alarm system for a few years instead of a gun? There's no risk of the kids harming themselves and if someone does get in the police are called. Plus you can set it day or night, and you can set it so that the door chimes whenever it is opened which will help keep tabs on the kids when they want to go in or out.

Honestly, I have set my alarm after people have knocked on the door. Sometimes I will set it before I talk to them through the locked door telling them to go away because I'm so wigged out by the looks of them through the peep hole. I can't sleep at night without it and I don't have to worry about guns in my house.

Last edited by TeamMom2008; February 3rd, 2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
February 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
Veteran
I'm not a gun person. I don't want one. Not judging others though. We have and alarm system and a 54 pound Pitt who barks like crazy if someone approaches the house.she sounds really vicious, but is really a big baby and is great with kids. She is super protective of the kids and has jumped on me for carrying my tantruming five year old to his room.
February 3rd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
While I would never force a firearm on anyone, I do feel that anyone who is comfortable handling one should have one in their home. DH and I have several hand guns and rifles. Now that my oldest has started to show an interest we do keep them locked up, they do stay loaded, but unchambered. I also have my carry permit, and often have my handgun on me.

DH is also very adamant about allowing DS to handle the rifles in his presence after he has cleared it. He feels like it cuts down on his curiosity, and makes it less of a draw.

I just have to say if something did happen to happen how much damage could be done to you, and your family in the amount of time it would take the police to arrive. And while dogs are good they are no match for a bullet should an attacker also be armed.

There are definitely safe ways to keep a weapon in the house if you are informed, and take the correct precautions. For me, and my family I feel much safer knowing that I can meet any situation with equal or greater force.

February 3rd, 2014, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't own guns, I'm not against them, we just don't have one. I wouldn't feel safe with my children, however, if they are secured properly then there isn't the safety issue. If that is what you feel comfortable with then I say go for it. Dogs aren't for everyone, they take up a lot of time and $$$. We have two and not all dogs are "protectors" LOL even if they are the right breed lol I was just thinking yesterday about what my dogs would do if someone broke in....if they had treats or a big piece of meat to toss to the side or out the door i'm pretty sure my dogs would follow the meat LOL We have a medium size dog who is about 60lbs and a small dog who is about 10lbs. I'm pretty sure the small dog is meaner, I think our big dog would sleep through the whole thing if she's comfy on the couch.

I say get the alarm system, a gun and if you want to adopt a dog do all three!!! LOL
moxiemommie likes this.
February 3rd, 2014, 12:29 PM
trusting and believing
I personally don't think I want a gun (but who knows what I'd say if I were in your shoes one day), but if getting one will make you feel safer, then get it.

And do please, start securing your doors all the way. No neighborhood/area is immune to idiots.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
February 3rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
Veteran
We have a handgun at our house. DH was in the army and always gone and now works 3-11 so he's gone while we're home. I feel much safer with one in my home. We have a digital handgun safe that has a silent keypad so I can quickly and quietly access it if needed. It's the only loaded gun though we have other guns in the house. The handgun is in the safe and has a double safety so I feel comfortable with it around my kids. I stay vigilant and always know where my child is. Teaching gun safety to kids can prevent a lot of accidents! I certainly feel better that I can protect my family quickly should the need arise!

Prayers for you guys! I'm sure it'll be nerve wrecking for a while!
February 3rd, 2014, 01:30 PM
Caitlin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have several handguns hidden throughout our house in safes. There is a hand safe on each of our nightstands, one underneath a shelf on a bookcase and one attached to the under side of my desk. Each safe is finger print locked, so only I or DH can unlock it.

We also have 5-7 rifles at any time locked in our closet. My husband is USMC and a pistol/rifle coach in the military so we take personal safety AND gun safety very seriously.
Missymoos likes this.
February 3rd, 2014, 05:11 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I'm going to keep my gun opinions to myself, but I'm so incredibly sorry that this happened! I hope that whatever you decide to do, it brings you some peace. (((Hugs)))
Mel S likes this.
February 3rd, 2014, 08:30 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We keep a handgun high in our closet and a baseball bat too. Our rifles and such are locked up downstairs in a case. We dont live in a great neighborhood so I feel safe having it. Plus DH is an armed security guard and we LOVE to target shooting so we have lots of guns

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

February 3rd, 2014, 08:51 PM
Veteran
DH is a cop and a gun enthusiast, so our house is well stocked. However, we keep everything locked in the safe unless DH is wearing it (and he's always wearing SOMETHING). With our kiddoes, we've always been very open about our guns. They've been able to touch them, hold them, and see them all the time. We've taught them gun safety as long as they've been alive, and we never ever say no when one of them asks to see a gun. Even though they don't have the code to the safe, we want to make sure that they don't ever feel the need to be sneaky about it. In fact, it's worked well enough that my eight-year-old thinks they're quite boring. Even so, we go over scenarios of what to do if a friend finds a gun, what to do if they find a gun, etc. Above all, we alwys stress that guns are not toys. Hope that helps!

-Gypsy
February 3rd, 2014, 08:53 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Wow how scary! Im not against owning a gun.. I used to be until I really thought about it. I wont let an intruded hurt my family, I have a large dog but even if someone broke in they would likely take her out first, if an intruded still comes in after hearing your dog barking, he obviously isn't afraid of your dog, so yes she can alert me if someone is there but depending on how eager they are to get in I may not have a whole lot of time to realize it's an intruded before they are already in the house. I can have a baseball bat but I don't think I want to get close enough to an intruded to actually hit him with it, so then what? I throw it at him and hope he isn't a good catch? Nah, I think I have a gun and be able to stand far away from him and protect my family from a safe distance.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
February 3rd, 2014, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by toasterbell View Post
DH is a cop and a gun enthusiast, so our house is well stocked. However, we keep everything locked in the safe unless DH is wearing it (and he's always wearing SOMETHING). With our kiddoes, we've always been very open about our guns. They've been able to touch them, hold them, and see them all the time. We've taught them gun safety as long as they've been alive, and we never ever say no when one of them asks to see a gun. Even though they don't have the code to the safe, we want to make sure that they don't ever feel the need to be sneaky about it. In fact, it's worked well enough that my eight-year-old thinks they're quite boring. Even so, we go over scenarios of what to do if a friend finds a gun, what to do if they find a gun, etc. Above all, we alwys stress that guns are not toys. Hope that helps!

-Gypsy
Sounds like we live in very similar houses. My DH is also in LE. He started at the PD then moved to the sheriff's dept. He is in between depts right now, but looking to stay with sheriff's since he likes county work more than city. He is also quite a "gun nut", and even bought me my first handgun as an engagement present.
toasterbell likes this.

February 4th, 2014, 06:00 AM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats sounds so scary!!! I don't blame you at all for being freaked out.. As for any thoughts or opinions, I have absolutely no advice in regards to guns... Here in our country, guns are quite a rarity and we have very strict gun laws... (since we had a large shooting in Tasmania some years ago where a guy killed alot of people in public.. our country then had a gun buy out and strict gun laws were brought in ).... We hear about the odd gun going off in the city (Sydney...4 hours from us)... but thats pretty rare... We are lucky enough to live in a small country town with nearly zero crime and everyone knows everyone... (although farmers here have guns to keep their farms safe)...

I can only imagine the position you were in and hope you work out a solution that works for you... whatever option you choose Take care
Mel S likes this.

February 4th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Super Mommy
I am sorry you had to go through such a scary ordeal; I am glad everyone is ok!

Canada has quite strict gun laws. I have never considered owning a gun as it is simply something that is not done here unless you live on a farm and/or hunt (or, of course, are a member of the Police, military, etc.).

I hope as a family you come up with a solution that makes you all feel safer.
dee.76 likes this.
February 4th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Super Mommy
How did you do last night on your own? Did you feel any better knowing the doors were locked up tight? Or were you still on edge? Just thinking about you...

February 4th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I 100% agree that guns are not for everyone. I am Pro gun personally. I have been around guns my entire life and I am very very very much about gun saftey. I dont have one in my house currently because it is against my building code (I live in private apartment complex) but I do own guns and they all remain locked up very carefully and meticulously maintained. I believe that whatever you feelis best for you and your family as far as protection is what is right for you. Be that security system, a dog, or a gun.
But I say if a gun is the route you are comfortable with do your homework and follow proper saftey precautions and good luck! That is a terrifying situation!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search