Cat lovers!! ?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TiggersMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Super Mommy
for all of you that have had cats. have you limited your affection towards them do to what ever US Oregon ladies can get from them? I know we can't change the litter YAY! But what else? that was one of the first questions they asked me. what else do you ladies do? Wash your hands after you hold them/touch them? TIA

Mom of two TEENAGE girls, 16 and 13.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer Survivor
DX date Nov 20, 2009
Chemo date Jan. 11, 2010
Bilateral mast. March 16, 2010
Exchange tissue expanders September 28, 2010
Expecting the UNEXPECTED but very much wanted little bundle June 28, 2014
I just might be to old for this!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

February 13th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, nothing different. I've even had to put on gloves and change the litter because I get so sick of nagging DH to do it! Our cat stays inside so there really is no risk. Outdoor cats can (although rare in the U.S.) have toxoplasmosis in their stools. I've even read it takes 48 hours to develop in the stools, so as long as you change the kitty litter often, no worries.

Our cat has been super clingy to me lately. I find it interesting since she's always like DH more than me, but she definitely knows something is up and follows me everywhere around the house.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

February 13th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I don't do the litter anymore, even though our cats are indoor, have always been, will always be. I just don't wanna do it. I still snuggle Bueller every chance she will let me, and I pet Zombie when she allows it. She will snuggle with Zach and his friends but she is still hesitant with me, which makes me sad. I'm excited to bring the baby home because I know Bueller will mommy her.. she already does it to the boys. Sneaks into their room at night and climbs under the covers with them, lays with them and bathes them when they lay on the couch. My kittens are her kittens!

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

February 13th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Super Mommy
Ah, that is so great to know!!! I didn't know it was just through their feces. I was afraid to pet her. Thank you so much for the replies.

DX date Nov 20, 2009
Chemo date Jan. 11, 2010

February 13th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Also - if you have had your cat a long time, chances are you both had toxo at some point and are both immune to it.

I change the litter and she sleeps in my bed, I don't even wear gloves anymore to do the litter because I do it twice daily and wash my hands with hot water and soap right afterwards. I've also had my old girl since I was 21 (and I'll be 35 this summer) and she's 100% indoor, so my doctor told me I was really low risk of getting anything from her.

I will however start putting her in the basement at night when it gets a little warmer since we are using a co-sleeper and I don't want her walking on - or worse - unintentionally smothering the baby.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)

Last edited by Missymoos; February 16th, 2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo
February 13th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
I have 5 cats, and they are all indoors. I do cat litter because no one else will. I don't wear gloves and the cats all sleep with me at night, by my face, except for my really old cat (she is the one who I thought was going to die this week, posted about her on facebook) and now after work every day she sits in my lap and snuggles me.

If a child will be born with something wrong with it because of a cat, it'll be Audra. But my other three kids all turned out okay. Well...kinda okay =)
February 13th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have 7 cats yes 7! (Kyo-9- almost 10- hes MY baby,!, Jack 8, Rosie 8, Missy 7, Molly 6, Titan 3 and Taxi 9mos) 3 are strictly outdoor, 2 are indoor outdoor 1 is indoor and Kyo is mostly out door but can come in when he wants too and sleeps with Bri and I. I havent done anything different, I just always wash my hands before I handle food at all, then just clean normally... I actually got the blood test and have never had/been exposed to toxoplasmosis so thats great since Ive been around kitties my entire life. Lots of kitties lol.

February 13th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! That makes me fell better! Angela, I commented on Facebook to your post. We had a kitty go through almost the same thing. Like its tail was broke. It couldn't keep it's back feet underneath it. It was heartbreaking. Then out of the blue he got better!! I hope your kitty is!! Thanks again!

DX date Nov 20, 2009
Chemo date Jan. 11, 2010

February 13th, 2014, 07:48 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't changed kitty litter more than a few times since I first was pregnant with a DD. I have DH convinced that it's safer this way Toxo is actually quite a bit harder to get than it's commonly thought. I've had cats all my life. Lots and lots of cats and many of them were outdoor cats when I was younger. I had a Toxo antibody test run last February and it came back negative, so I've never had it.
moxiemommie likes this.

February 14th, 2014, 01:54 PM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 3 angel babies
i have two, and they really couldn't be anymore different.

Smores (don't judge, i was like 12 when i named her lol) is much older and a lot fatter. so she really only likes my affection when she's hungry, or when she wants a treat. otherwise she just veg's out.

Ace is my rescue cat and he is a very different one. he was abandoned at a young age and we picked him up when he was a few months old. he is incredibly affectionate and actually demands a lot of my attention. when i'm sleeping, on the toilet, in the shower, making dinner, he has to make his presence known. when i'm petting smores, he really hates that and they start fighting.

right now, we let them roam around the house at their free will. usually smores ends up in our bed, and when ace isn't sleeping with us, he's down stairs (they leave the kids alone at night for the most part). but when the baby is due, they can't be in the room when we're all sleeping. i could just see that becoming a problem. smores is too fat to jump up on the crib when i had either of the boys, but ace is everywhere and i just know he would be in there.

10/06/2008 - Miscarriage @ 6wks
12/08/2009 - Healthy Baby Boy
11/02/2011 - Healthy Baby Boy
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
09/03/2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
February 15th, 2014, 01:34 PM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I studied veterinary science for 5 years and i can tell you for a fact if you have been around cats most of your life then you already have toxoplasmosis. If you've already been "exposed" and have suffered no ill effects then you are probably now immune and your baby is also immune. If you want to be safe then wash your hands after petting your kitty, dont let him/her walk over your lips and wear gloves when cleaning out litter try - BTW they only way you can catch toxoplasmosis from a litter tray would be to eat infected cat faeces! You are far more likely to contact toxo from now washing your hands after gardening or eating undercooked/infected meat.

...and baby number 2

Last edited by newmommysarah; February 15th, 2014 at 01:41 PM.
February 17th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Marissa's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa's Mommy
I haven't really done anything different with my cat. Still doing the litter and petting him and he sleeps with us every night. He has been extra clingy though and I wonder if he knows. Whenever we sit down on the couch to watch tv- after DD goes to bed he jumps up and lays on me. (He can't get peace when she is awake so he doesn't even try to jump up before then) Then, after we go upstairs before we actually fall asleep he needs to lay on top of me before he goes down by our feet. But I kind of love it because it seems his purring gets the baby moving around in there. <3

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature!
February 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Tiggerlb's Avatar Veteran
no I did not do any thing different in my pg with my cats. I still changed the litter and petted them when ever they wanted the attention. I have 2 cats that mother over my little man. One will come running over when he cries and nudge the car seat then to my legs and then back to the car seat. Then my other my bob tail manx she will come over and jump on my lap and force her body between my hand and his back stopping me from patting him to burp him. Other than that the cats do not mess with him at all.

February 18th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Just had to add this!!! The pic is also up in the FunHouse thread but I thought it was fitting for the Cat Lover thread as well

Here's my beautiful old Moomoo cuddling with me and the GingerBean bump a couple weekend's ago - I couldn't resist snapping a photo of it with my phone because Moomoo was curled right around the bump and sleeping so peacefully, despite GingerBean's constant nudging and kicking, lol.

You can even see how my bump is slightly askew, I actually watched that lopsided bump go from one side of my belly over the other in one smooth movement!

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search