Pregnancy congestion

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TeamMom2008

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Super Mommy
The last couple of weeks I have been struggling to breathe, especially at night. I feel like I'm constantly blowing my nose and even my husband said he noticed my struggle and wondered if I was coming down with something. I feel like I can only breathe through my mouth so I wake up every few hours with dry mouth, drink a ton and wake up to pee. It is an exhausting cycle and apparently this is common.

So tonight I am trying the breathe right strips. I can already tell there is a difference just sitting here. Hopefully it helps!

February 16th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I've had the same problem since the start of the 2nd trimester. It was really bad because my mouth would get so dry at night and then in the morning the dryness and grody flavor in my mouth would make morning sickness so much worse. I still deal with some congestion but it's gotten a lot better.

I just finally got to the point where I bought some OTC medication the midwife said was safe and took it on nights where I couldn't handle the dry mouth again. Hope the strips work well for you and you can get some rest!!

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

February 17th, 2014, 04:31 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Hope you feel better!!!! I've been sick for the past week and have noticed that my congestion is much worse than normal.
February 17th, 2014, 06:58 AM
NewMommyErin's Avatar Regular
I stay congested and when I wake up and blow my nose it's bloody some mornings. Keep a humidifier going... they really help.

You're right, it's an annoying cycle to have to pee constantly from staying properly hydrated. I've gotten bad about this.

Hopefully you have a humidifier and that should help. Mine is a cool humidifier and I can tell the difference on the nights that I use/don't use it.
February 17th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Super Mommy
The strip was so helpful last night. I could tell as soon as I put it on how much better I could breathe. I slept so much better. No stuffy nose. No dry mouth. Just one trip to the potty. If this keeps up, I might feel so much better the next few months.

It night be worth checking out if you don't want the otc stuff or maybe use them with it.
epsilonbeta likes this.

February 17th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I could have written this post myself - exactly! I'll have to try all of the above suggestion and see if I can get some relief. I'm happy to hear you got a better night's sleep last night.
February 17th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Marissa's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa's Mommy
I have had a really stuffy nose since the start of this pregnancy it seems. My poor DH has to suffer through me blowing my nose everytime I wake up to pee and half the time it is bloody. I think I will try the breath right strips also. I never really thought about it actually.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature!
February 17th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
I've been congested pretty much for a few months now - the cool-mist humidifier def. helps though. Worst part is because of the dry winter air, I continuously get a congested nose that is actually hard to blow because the...er...stuff inside it is dried out and it's a little painful (and yes, blood in it almost all the time!).

So I am using a saline sinus rinse before I go to bed and when I wake up now along with the cool-mist humidfier - seems to help!

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
February 17th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran
Me too. I take benedryl to sleep which helps with nasal passage swelling. I think most of my insomnia is due to not being able to breathe. If I can't breathe then I can't sleep.
February 17th, 2014, 06:24 PM
trusting and believing
Gosh, I could've written this! And the past couple of days, it's even been tough to eat, because I can't breathe when I close my mouth to chew. I took Claritin (safe for pg) and it seems to be helping some. I'll put the humidifier on tonight--thanks for suggesting ladies.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
February 17th, 2014, 07:05 PM
njkatc's Avatar Kelly
There's a saline gel that I've used during every pregnancy, its a lifesaver, but I still have to blow my nose first thing in the morning. It really helps me continue to breathe through my nose through the night. If I forget to use it I am waking constantly to drink some water and re-lube my super dry mouth from the mouth breathing!!!

February 17th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Tiggerlb's Avatar Veteran
I had this issue my whole pg. I delivered 2 weeks ago and the constant cold symptoms are finally going away. I wish I would have thought about using the nasal strips to see if they would have helped. It never even crossed my mind.

February 18th, 2014, 05:56 AM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
I definitely have the blood when I blow my nose and have to blow every morning. Thankfully I'm not *too* congested though. I have an adhesive allergy so the breath right strips are a no go for me.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search