Surprise shower?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Missymoos
  • 2 Post By TiggersMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2014, 05:50 PM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
Just wondering if people still do surprise showers anymore. I haven't had anyone approach me about a shower yet, and I am starting to wonder. I don't want a big fling, and this is my second (although my first will be 7), but I would love to have a bunch of friends just get together. I feel funny planning something, and am sort of wondering if maybe there will be a surprise shower. I haven't ever been to one where tha mama didn't know in advance. Does anyone think they will have a surprise shower or have you been to one?

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
February 17th, 2014, 07:07 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
A surprise shower was originally being planned by my MIL until my friends asked to throw it and I said ok.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
February 18th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
A friend and I threw a surprise shower for another friend when she had her son. She didn't feel comfortable asking for a shower (even though it was her first) because she hadn't known us very long and she was having a shower with her pre-DH friends back home.

We planned it at my house and invited our "crew", guys and gals invited - the guys had to bring diapers and girls had to bring things for a baby boy. She was totally surprised (and I think really touched!) so it does still happen.

I would oh-so-casually mention to a friend or two that you'd like to have friends get together for a lunch/evening/etc before baby comes, and see how they react
MarchMom2007 likes this.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
February 18th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Super Mommy
I find it really depends on the group.

My in-laws are all about including the shower guest-of-honour in the plans (at least for bridal) - whereas my side is all about making it a surprise.

I would put some hints out there and see if anyone bites.
February 18th, 2014, 07:08 PM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I asked SO tonight if any if his friends (who are mainly female) had mentioned anything and he said "no, and I wouldn't really think they would throw one", but I am not so sure. I know he has known at least 3 older women who have been very much like surrogate mothers to him over the last 3 years who are over the moon about this baby. I don't know them as well, but I think I might say something very casually, or have him drop a hint that a small get together would be nice.

Thanks for the advice!

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
February 19th, 2014, 05:51 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I threw a semi-surprise shower for a friend last year. I knew she just wanted a small little party to celebrate her pregnancy. I needed to invite her family (who I hardly know) so it wasn't exactly a surprise but she knew nothing aside from needing to show up at my house.

It's still early. Plans may be in the works. My workmates have asked a few times if I'm having a shower and I've said no. I for realz don't need or want anything. If my friends throw me something I'll be honored and happy but I won't be dissapointed if they don't. I plan to throw a small "you get to meet baby if you bring me food" party this summer.
MarchMom2007 and Missymoos like this.

February 19th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
lol - Erin, you simply *must* put that title on the invites and/or FB event page.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
February 19th, 2014, 10:52 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 3 angel babies
i never had one. but actually for this time around, i caught my BFF attempting to plan one and i had to foil it. reason being is that she wanted one with just friends (which i have no problem with).

but if the inlaws found out i had a shower that they weren't invited to (and with it being a suprise it would have been no fault of my own, but i still would be blamed) it would literally, no question be WW3. i told her if she wanted to plan one, then (unfortunately) she would have to include the inlaws and she said she really didn't feel comfortable planning such a big party (compared to just having friends) so i told her i would be perfectly content w/o a shower.

10/06/2008 - Miscarriage @ 6wks
12/08/2009 - Healthy Baby Boy
11/02/2011 - Healthy Baby Boy
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search