Kick Counts

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By moxiemommie
  • 1 Post By Wish44
  • 1 Post By Missymoos

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Have any of you ladies started doing kick counts? I haven't been advised by my midwife to start yet, but for my own peace of mind I check every day. I read 10 kicks in one hour is a good basis.

I might be a little paranoid, but with all the losses on this board lately (and some in my real life).... I just want to be safe.
March 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well in my honest opinion, 10 kicks/ hour isnt exactly realistic... because with all my boys theyve always been inactive at some point during the day. (Like my little one now I didnt feel him at all until about 10-11am, then right now he will give a ew nudges every few hours because hes probably sleeping... BUT when he is active, oh I get a good 20-30 kicks/ hour when hes most active and that happens usually 2-3 times a day depending on how active I am...
Spottts likes this.

March 8th, 2014, 05:22 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
I was told at my most recent appointment to do kick counts. The guidelines were to drink a glass of ice cold water and then sit down and feel for 10 movements. If that happens in less time then I'm done. If I don't get 10 after an hour try one more time and then go to labor and delivery if nothing after the 2nd hour.My problem: I have an anterior placenta so I don't always feel the little stuff.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
March 9th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
I don't really know about doing full on kick counts - but each morning and when I go to bed I lay quietly for a bit and feel for GingerBean...if I don't feel her when I normally do (now that she's on a bit of a schedule) then I will do an "official" kick count.I spoke to my doctor (not MW - only because I was there for a heartburn prescription) about baby movement and he said it's normal to sometimes not feel as much movement, esp. if the baby has turned inwards - so that helped me relax a little over kick counts and worrying when I don't feel her as strongly some days

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
March 10th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Super Mommy
I heard that most doctor's don't suggest you start doing kick counts until 28 weeks...so I haven't started any yet (and my doctor hasn't told me to either).

As long as I get some movement each day I try to keep relaxed. He has been very quiet the last couple of days which worries me, but I normally get a kick or prod here or there at some point...just enough to know he is ok. I also try to remind myself not to worry too much as that is not good for either of us. (as I am typing this he has given me 3 prods - and I want to cry with joy, lol)
March 10th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My doctor said that you shouldn't start kick counts until 28 weeks, as it may not be an accurate reading before then. After 28 weeks, she said you should feel 10 kicks in 2 hours. I have a very active baby in there, but there are times when he is sleeping or less active, so I don't think I'd get 10 in just one hour.
Mel S likes this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

March 10th, 2014, 07:56 AM
amityx7's Avatar Miracle Baby Due 6/8/14
I don't so much as count her kicks/movements, as just pay attention to movement or lack thereof. I don't think I ever really did kick counts with my first, either.

Gabrielle June 6/13/14

March 10th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel S View Post
I heard that most doctor's don't suggest you start doing kick counts until 28 weeks...so I haven't started any yet (and my doctor hasn't told me to either).

As long as I get some movement each day I try to keep relaxed. He has been very quiet the last couple of days which worries me, but I normally get a kick or prod here or there at some point...just enough to know he is ok. I also try to remind myself not to worry too much as that is not good for either of us. (as I am typing this he has given me 3 prods - and I want to cry with joy, lol)
It's funny how just when you start to really worry - the LOs give a couple nudges almost as if to say "I'm ok mommy!" and reassure us

I was in a set panic by last Thursday when I had my regular doctor's appointment and while the doctor reassured me...it wasn't until Friday evening when GingerBean started getting really active again (and has been since!) that I was really able to relax.
Mel S likes this.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search