Returning a Gift Advice

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By epsilonbeta
  • 1 Post By epsilonbeta

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
So I'm just looking for advice on an approach for returning a gift. Back at Christmas I had a stroller on my Christmas wish list. I forgot about this and no longer have any on my registries because the one I really wanted was already purchased. Well, my husband's BFF found my christmas wish list and not the baby registry and bought the stroller system on it. I really have no need for two travel system strollers even though it's such a nice gift. How would you go about telling/asking them if I could exchange it for something else?

I was thinking "Thank you so so much for the stroller system. It's wonderful, but it happens that my mother in law had already purchased another system and it's been taken out of the box already. Would you mind if I exchanged it for ____________ instead?"

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
March 10th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you know where the stroller system was purchased? Usually stores will let you return without the receipt for store credit. You can then go ahead and get something else you need.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

March 10th, 2014, 04:47 PM
It was purchased through Amazon from my Christmas Wish List so the act of returning is no issue (well, a pain to mail it but whatever). I just want to tactfully bring it up to the friends so they know how much they are appreciated.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
March 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran
Another idea could be to explain the situation and ask if you could exchange for the next size up carseat since that is a similar item. Not sure how big your infant seat goes, but the one I had with my first two only went to 20 lbs so they moved out at about 9 and 6 months. ((Ds 2 was huge)
March 10th, 2014, 06:45 PM
My seat is rated for 35 lbs so it looks like it would last up to 1.5 years. I just messaged them thanking them and explaining my mistake with the wish list. I asked if they would mind if I exchanged for a snugabunny cradle n swing (It's only like $20 cheaper than the stroller) so that way it's something they will visually see in our house all the time when they visit. I feel so embarrassed because I've been really careful to watch my two registries to make sure no duplicates get perfect but completely forgot about that list.I wasn't even worried or embarrassed until DS mentioned he was shocked we would return a gift. These are really good and caring friends though.
anjewellove likes this.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
March 11th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Super Mommy
I would imagine if they are as good of friends as you are making them out to be that they will understand completely and will appreciate your honesty.

Let us know how it goes.
March 11th, 2014, 10:23 AM
They said they want to make sure we have everything we feel baby needs so that we are free to exchange it. They even checked if there was anything they need to do for the exchange Since it was a baby item within 90 days amazon is even doing free return shipping.
Missymoos likes this.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
March 11th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats great!!!! I think you handled it perfectly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search