Do I have to wear a dress!?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 2 Post By TeamMom2008

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2014, 04:03 PM
chrysalis1's Avatar + Positively Pregnant! +
To the baby shower!? DH and I want to wear matching tees to the baby shower revealing the baby's name. Since everyone is so obsessed with knowing what we will name the baby and we have been essentially keeping it under wraps, having a name reveal would be cool and fun. Plus I just really want to do it. It would be a wonderful memory and I could put pictures in the baby book.

BUT my bff (who is helping the hostess) keeps harassing me about if I found a dress yet and saying I need to find a nice dress.

So my question is what can I do? I want to be unconventional and wear the cool tee's. The baby shower theme is a "petting zoo" so I don't even know why she expects me to wear a dress? Honestly I am not the type to wear dresses normally so her and the hostess are all excited about dressing me up and doing my makeup and hair. I just want to be myself and wear the cool tee-shirts!! Ugh!!
"Mild" pcos, blessed with BFP on cycle #4 ttc
Baby Braden 5/25/2014He's finally here!

]
March 25th, 2014, 04:31 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Wear whatever you want. It's your shower.
MrsPalumbo likes this.

March 25th, 2014, 04:35 PM
bluewren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wear what you want.

March 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
You don't HAVE to wear a dress... Wear what's comfortable. The Tee's Idea sounds cute!
March 25th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wear what you want!
March 25th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Super Mommy
Do you think they have something else planned?

March 25th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I say go with the tees. Your friend is probably assuming you'll go the dress route because that's what I've seen almost every mama I've known wear to the shower, but you are never obligated to do the traditional! I'm only wearing a dress or skirt because I get uncomfortable in my maternity pants after a short period of time. You should be comfortable and relaxed at your shower!

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

March 25th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Your shower - you get to wear whatever you want Cute idea too!
March 26th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Super Mommy
If you want to compromise what about a skirt and t-shirt combo?

I agree though - it is your shower; you get to wear what you want!!!

A comfy mama is a happy mama.
March 26th, 2014, 06:37 AM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
It's your shower! Wear what you want, if your friend keeps bugging you about a dress, either decline or change the subject and show up in the tshirt. Cute idea!

March 26th, 2014, 07:40 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Love the idea!! Wear the t-shirt

March 26th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Wear the t-shirts...but to pacify your friend, pair them with a super cute pair of maternity capris and maybe a slight heeled sandal/shoe (weather dependant).

Let your friend do your hair and make-up, this way everyone is happy!

I thought I was going to wear a dress but I ended up finding a really pretty lace top in peach at Thyme Maternity, so I'm pairing it with dark demin capris and heels...and of course - accessories!!! It makes more sense too because my shower is at the community centre and not a fancy-shmancy hall or someone's uber-decorate house - so I'll be stylish and cute, but comfy too!

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
March 26th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks ladies for the responses! I am pretty sure they aren't planning any surprise that would require me to be in a dress because my MIL and SIL are joint planning the shower with my two best friends and I often have to relay messages between them so I'm very in the loop. I think they just really think I'm supposed to be in a dress lol and I didn't want to break any etiquette.

I guess I can let her do my hair and makeup though! It will be awkward letting someone else do my hair and makeup since I always do my own but I guess it could also be kind of fun.

Sooo My question is now how do I dress up a tee? And should I get it made in black or white? I'm not sure which color is easier to dress up. I was thinking perhaps a cardigan and nice accessories or maybe a nice scarf... and maybe patterned leggings and nice boots could dress it up. Does anyone know how the heck to dress up a maternity tee a little?

]

Last edited by chrysalis1; March 26th, 2014 at 11:02 PM.
March 26th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Super Mommy
I have seen these moms on the baseball fields dress up their girls in the sports shirts. You could add gem stones, cut a neck line or add ribbons. I think you can find ideas on pinterest.
chrysalis1 and epsilonbeta like this.

March 26th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks!

]
March 27th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Dark denim makes everything look dressier - so if you have a pair of dark demin capris or skinny jeggings, paired with nice black boots - le voila! Dressy T-Shirt!

If you go with black boots I'd get the black t-shirt...but if you go with brown boots, then get the white t-shirt, I love white and denim and brown together, so rustic yet classic

A blazer as opposed to a cardigan would also make it a little dressier if you wanted to go that far. If you don't have one, see if one of your friends could loan you one (it doesn't have to button up), throw in some fun accessories and cute hair and you are good to go!

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
March 27th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Oh yeah a blazer is a great idea! I LOVE that suggestion as well as the dark denim, thanks!!

]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search