OT - I need some gluten free recipes, please!

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PoppetsMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I just found out my brother is on a gluten free diet for medical reasons. I know that Zach's aunt is having our baby shower catered by Q'Doba and that it will involve some sort of cake, and I feel really bad because my brother vented to me last night that he is seriously missing bread, pasta, cake, and burritos. I would really love to make some cupcakes/cookies/sweets to bring to the shower for him and possibly something snacky with a Mexican or spicy taste so that he isn't just sitting there watching everyone else eat burritos.

I can't ask him for suggestions because he will burst into flame if I make a fuss over him and he is already dealing with our mom freaking out about what to feed him while we are there for grandpa's funeral.

Looking through Pinterest is only somewhat helpful, as I would really like to make something that tastes good and Pinterest recipes can be hit or miss.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

April 10th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As far as the actual food goes, as long as the chips and tortillas are corn, not flour he can eat them. He can also do a taco salad.You can do a flourless chocolate cake for a dessert (box mixes sold at a grocery store, especially now since it's Passover season). Since I am not gluten free and I love me some carbs, I don't have any good recipes. I do have a friend who is gluten free, so I will ask her for you though!

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

April 10th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Thank you! I know DF is taking me out this weekend for sewing supplies, I will pester him into taking me to Sprouts or Whole Foods because our local grocery has kind of a sad GF selection. He did mention that he just gets burrito bowls now, but added that it just isn't the same. I did find a recipe for GF tortillas that is supposedly good, maybe I'll try those and then he can have at the meats/salsas/etc. I feel bad because he had mentioned the diet before and I thought it was a weight loss thing and that he would just have an "off day" for the shower, but last night he confirmed the medical purposes and said if he slips up, there are some yucky side effects.

April 10th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just thought of something else…ice-cream cakes are gluten free.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

April 10th, 2014, 03:03 PM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
@Social Halfwit.. I AM GLUTEN FREE! Please PM Me! I can HELP! I'm making a double chocolate raspberry brownie cake for my shower and strawberry shortcake.. If I can do that Gluten Free.. I promise I can help you make some GF cupcakes or something for your brother!
Mel S likes this.
April 10th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Some of my favorite GF mix brands are Glutino and Gluten Free Pantry. They make some of the best cookie, cake, and brownie mixes without that sandpapery taste. Also Betty Crocker and Bisquik has recently added Gluten Free mixes that aren't bad either. Also Barilla makes AWESOME GF Pasta so he can have that back in his life too.

Last edited by PoppetsMom; April 10th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.
April 11th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Super Mommy
It is quite the transition to make, but there are tons of options out there. A co-worker of mine went gluten free for medical reasons a couple of years ago, and since then SO many more products are being sold as gluten free or with gluten free versions. I think you will be surprised when you look around the stores. There are gluten-free flours out there that can be substituted in many recipes and still have delicious results....a bit pricey, but worth it given the situation. I have also heard that Costco...not sure if you have them in the states or what they are called...Price Club I think?! Has some really good gluten free pastas.
April 11th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks so much, ladies! I'm going to focus on this when I get home from Wyoming, but looking at some from-scratch recipes is making me feel like I should stick to getting something from the store bakery or a boxed mix... I just don't want to buy a ton of ingredients that I won't use. I also think we will grab some GF tortillas and maybe see what kind of spicy salsas they've got and bring that with us to the shower for him. Is gluten-free peach cobbler a thing? Peach cobbler is his favorite dessert so that would be pretty cool to find. I'm going to scope out Whole Foods and Sprouts, and if they don't have an answer, I know there is a bakery in South Denver that only makes GF stuff.

April 11th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I believe there are some premade GF Pie Crusts out there. I tend to mix my own.. (I also make my own GF flour 5# at a time) So I don't know how good the prefab crusts would be to make a peach cobbler. You CAN buy a 1# box of GF Flour for pretty cheap so you don't have a ton of it lying around when you won't be using it. You can substitute the GF flour 1 for 1 in every recipe and it still taste pretty good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search