Preterm labor and bed rest

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2014, 02:57 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Hi ladies. I know I've been quiet around here, but in what was already the most stressful year ever, a new anxiety-filled component was added: pre-term labor.

Long story short -- I overdid some things during my spring break last week. I had 50 million things to do and three preschooler-free days to do them in, so I ran around all crazy like. By mid-week, the contractions started (except I thought they were BH). I had a NST scheduled for Friday, so I just laid low and relaxed. Friday came and I felt awful -- had a complete meltdown in the doctor's office but baby was alright.

Spent my Saturday and Sunday in major pain. I had been laying down for hours on Saturday and was still feeling the contractions. Again, I thought they were BH -- nothing had been detected during Friday's NST, so I assumed they were nothing.

Went back to work on Monday and was miserable. I was super crabby and everything hurt. The only reason I stuck around the whole day was because I had another NST scheduled for that afternoon. Went to the NST and boom -- contractions that were 3 minutes apart and I was dilated 2 cm. The doctor (who has always claimed that I have a different EDD) said that at 33 weeks (her estimation), I needed to go to the hospital and we needed to face the fact that this baby was going to be born soon.

I spent 2.5 days in the hospital. They gave me meds to stop the contractions and steroid injections to prep his lungs. The contractions slowly stopped and I never dilated more. I was released and was put on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy -- so my school year is done.

So that's where we stand right now. Went in for another appt this morning and despite his superhero style ninja punches and kicks (the kid's had some steroids now!) and an overall feeling of yuckiness, Baby Boy is still locked away. No contractions on the monitor. I have two appts a week scheduled from this point on and I have to meet with the high-risk OB again on Monday. It is more than likely that I will not be delivering in the shiny brand new "hotel-like" hospital but the older (but better equipped for high risk pregnancies) hospital. I was told that I probably won't make it out of April, but then again, some women with pre-term labor end up going all the way to their due dates. Only time will tell.....

Thanks for reading. I guess it ended up being a long story after all.....
April 11th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, Amy. I'm so sorry. I know you've had so much on your plate. I guess we are bed rest buddies now. I'm on my first full day and already starting to go a little crazy. It's going to be a long 6+ weeks (I'm really hoping to make it to 37 weeks).I'm glad baby got the steroids to develop his lungs. I'm interested to see what my doctor says next week as to what I will need to do from this point forward. I hope you are able to take some time to yourself and relax. I'm thinking about getting a bunch of series on DVD to start watching. The computer, reading, and daytime TV are getting old real fast!

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

April 11th, 2014, 04:55 PM
bluewren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm really sorry you have been going through so much and I'm glad that baby is staying put. Take care of yourself Amy!

April 11th, 2014, 05:12 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry you're going through bed rest and preterm labor. I hope that baby can keep baking until at least May.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
April 11th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Super Mommy
Wow! So glad that things calmed down for you. Start a book club! Maybe I can join you. Hope you get the rest you need to keep that baby baking!

April 11th, 2014, 07:46 PM
njkatc's Avatar Kelly
Oh no!!! Hope the bed rest keeps him cooking!!!!

April 11th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Veteran
Sorry to hear! I agree that it has been one of the crappiest years ever, well for me it has actually been two years. Hang in there!
April 12th, 2014, 09:52 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh no. Stay put, baby! Not too much longer now.

April 12th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks ladies. It's been hard adjusting to the bed rest. I've got so many things to do and now I've been sidelined and can't do them by myself -- and I hate asking for help! But, I have to remind myself that this is for the greater good. When I did a poll in my daughter's playgroup about bed rest, every woman that had been on bed rest reported that baby stayed put until the due date or until they were cleared by the doctor to get off of bed rest (36/37 weeks), so it does give me hope that this can work.Sorry to see you're with me on this part of the adventure Nicole. Hopefully the time will go by quickly!
April 12th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry. I was on bed rest and meds with the twins. They stayed put until a day after I stopped meds. At 35 weeks I was allowed to get out of bed/couch for an hour or two at a time so I could get a few things done. One doc said to stop meds at 35 weeks. The other said 36 weeks. I stopped meds at 35.4weeks. The babies were born at 35.5 weeks and did not need NICU time.
Missymoos likes this.
April 12th, 2014, 02:57 PM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
Holy crap! You've been on my mind lately too so I'm glad you popped in with an update. Even happier to read that baby boy is still in and baking longer. Fingers crossed that he defies your doctor's predictions and makes it longer than April!Please keep us posted and try to get some rest while you can! Missed seeing your posts!

April 13th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Thanks! It's been hard to be a supportive member when there's been so much weighing me down the past few months, so I had to take a long break. I missed you ladies!
April 14th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope baby boy stays put for as long as possible and I hope the bed rest isn't too hard on you.

April 14th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Super Mommy
What a scary thing to be going through. I hope your little man stays up there a few more weeks.

Bed rest may be frustrating, but keep your focus on the end goal - a healthy little dude and hopefully it will make it a bit easier.

*hugs*
April 14th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad everything is ok for now! Praying baby stays in until everyone else is ready for him to make an appearance!
April 14th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG!!!! Im so glad the contrations stopped! How worrisome!So gladvyou are donevfor the yearvso you can relax andvrest before littlevman comes! *hugs* Take care of yourself and put those feet up!!! Maybe Betsy will be content cuddling and watching disney movies.

April 14th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I sat outside with Betsy yesterday while she was playing and I had to get up for a minute -- she screamed out "Don't worry Mommy! I won't tell the doctor you're walking!"
April 14th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Fingers crossed for you that baby stays put until at least May!

Funny how you never really want to get out of bed when you *have* to get up...and yet the opposite is true when you are ordered to stay in bed!

Hopefully you can stock up on stationary activities to do while you're in bed/on the couch - I love Betsy promising not to tell the doctor you're standing up, kids are so cute

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
April 15th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Right now, I still have to concern myself with work stuff, so I actually have a ton of things I *should* be doing. I have to grade 60 essays, make sub plans for the entire month of May, and finish a grad school online class -- so really, you'd think I wouldn't be bored. The other night, I woke up in a panic because while I had bought a few things for Baby Boy, none of them were in the newborn sizes, so I did a massive online shopping spree at 3 am and bought baby necessities (what did we do in a world without online shopping?).

The good news is that I saw two different doctors yesterday and both gave me a good report. Baby is looking good, contractions are still happening but without much consistency, and while my cervix has moved to 3cm, the bed rest seems to be helping (plus, even with this huge thing happening, I can tell that my stress levels are way, way down). With Betsy, I had moved to 3cm at around the same time (34 weeks) and was told that there was no way I'd make it to 40 weeks......the only reason she came out at 39 weeks was because I was induced because my anxiety levels were through the roof so I'm not as terrified right now as I was last week (because while I think I won't make it to his actual scheduled birthday, I have a good feeling we'll make it to May). The high risk doctor said that if I do go into active labor again, they will NOT stop it.
April 15th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad you had good appointments. I'm beginning to sit here and wonder if after all this I'll actually go past my due date. Haha! I have a friend who was on bed rest and then was late. Who knows, as long as he keeps baking for now.

Oh, yes, online shopping has gotten the best of me these past few days. I think I probably need to have DH hide the credit cards from me.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search