planned c-section questions for mom's who have been through it

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By mrsdaiwa24
  • 1 Post By MommaHarvey
  • 1 Post By Grace
  • 1 Post By dee.76
  • 1 Post By PoppetsMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm starting to get really nervous about my c-section. The time is creeping up slowing but so quickly at the same time. 9 ish weeks left since I'll be having baby a week or so early.

I always think the worst and I know a lot of my anxiety comes from all the complications I had during my daughter's delivery, plus reconstructive surgery after!

My question is to anyone who has had a planned c-section.

1. Were you sick with fear beforehand? I know I'll need some meds to calm me down before I'm rolled into be sliced open. I could use some right now to calm me down, can't imagine what the day of will be like for me.

2. What was recovery like for you? I know I'm not going to feel awesome shortly after but I'm just wondering how long it takes to get back to some sort of normalcy, like getting up and down with little problem/pain, running to the grocery store, fixing dinner, going to the mall/zoo etc. I know recovery time is several weeks before I'll actually feel pretty good but just curious about your experience.

Nothing out of the ordinary please! Just normal non eventful c-sections lol I'm already freaking out, I don't need to hear horror stories to freak me out more!
April 14th, 2014, 09:48 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
The first time around, it was an unplanned c-section so there wasn't any anxious build-up. This time, I'm not super anxious -- I've had the time to mentally prepare for it and while I'm nervous about having surgery, I've accepted that this is how it's going to be.

Recovery wasn't horrifying -- wasn't super easy, but it wasn't awful-awful. I spent the first couple of weeks confined to the lower level of my house and only went upstairs to take a shower. I slept on the living room couch and had my whole "station" set up. I don't remember an absurd amount of abdominal pain. I couldn't handle driving for a couple of weeks either. I was so sleep deprived and had so many BFing issues that I really don't remember recovering from the surgery.

This time, I know what to expect. I'll have my downstairs couch and station set up. I'll have tons of baby stuff down there as well (diapers, burp clothes, clothes -- we won't even go into the nursery for the first few weeks). This time around, I'm totally accepting people's help -- I didn't do that the last time because I was determined to do it all by myself (which was one of the STUPIDEST things I've ever done) -- I joke around and tell people to just pick a time, job, and child so they can help.

The anticipation leading up to an event is usually worse than the event itself. Remember to take things slowly, ask for/accept help whenever you can, be gentle on yourself as you are recovering from major surgery, and don't try to do everything. You'll have gone through a lot so the key important thing is to give your body a chance to rest and bond with your little one.
AtomicMama, cortln and PoppetsMom like this.
April 14th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thx Amy.
April 14th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just to prepare you. For my planned section I was not rolled in. I had to walk myself down the hall in my backless gown, climb up on the operating table, and lean over for the anesthesiologist to put in my spinal. That is when I started freaking out. I did not like sitting up there and seeing everything all laid out ready to cut me open.

Once I was laying down, and draped it got much better. Unlike my surprise section with the planned one I felt nothing. No pressure, tugging, pulling, or discomfort. It was a much more laid back situation.

As for recovery. I left the hospital 36 hrs after surgery. Having a 2 yr old at home I did have to get back to routine very quickly. It will be uncomfortable to sit up from laying down for several months, but it only took me a few weeks to be moving normally once I was in a standing position. The hardest part is coughing to tell the truth. You will want to hold a pillow to your belly whenever you cough for awhile. And they will make you cough at least once an hr in the hospital to keep fluid from setting on your lungs.
cortln likes this.

April 14th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a 3 year old to take care of but luckily she'll be going to daycare during the day until my husband gets home. That will be a huge help.

I agree that I wouldn't want to see all the stuff laid out that will be used during the surgery! I'm very afraid but very happy to hear you felt nothing!!! I want to lay there and be thinking to myself "I wonder when they are going to start" when they are almost done! LOL
April 14th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I was terrified when I went in for my 5th c-section, it had been 7 years since I had a baby and it seemed when I was younger and having my sections I didn't over think things like I do now. I ended up having a panic attack (first one and I never knew they were painful) and came very close to removing the iv's myself and going home. Somehow I made it through and calmed my nerves. The 6th c-section (last year) was still stressful, but this time I asked my ob way before the c-section for something to calm my nerves... I actually think they gave me benadryl which I found odd and this time I will ask for something else. At the moment I am not nervous about the c-section (oddly) but I am sure the closer I get the nerves will start to set in again and honestly I don't think benadryl will work again... a glass of wine... maybe, but not benadryl lol.

As far as recovery, mine have always gone very well and I am up walking that evening after my c-section and the next morning I shower and I am in my own clothes and make up on lol. I usually stay 48 hours and then it's back to life as usual and being a mom to many. For me the most pain is from cramps and not the c-section itself, my abdomen hurts but the meds help. I actually need to ask my ob about the meds because I had an allergic reaction last time to them so they were not much help.
cortln likes this.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
April 14th, 2014, 01:53 PM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well this will be my 5th c-section... My first was an emergency but all planned since then... I am always a bit nervous about them but not super anxious... There is really only a couple of things I am concerned about...

1. Having a general rather than a spinal... (I have had 2 generals out of my c-sections due to them not being able to put a spinal in my weird back... and to be honest, they weren't as good as experiences as my spinals... )....

2. A little nervous about 3 ultrasound technicians being wrong and saying its a girl and she comes out as a boy... (don't get me wrong , I wouldn't mind AT ALL having a boy... but EVERYTHING we have bought and have ready for this baby is pink!!! .. My dh would have to race to the shops and do a SERIOUS shopping spree!!!)...(not to mention we don't have a boys name picked out... )..

As far as the pain goes, I find if you get up the day after, recovery is ALOT quicker... as crazy as it sounds... I like to get up and about the next day, shower, walk a little etc ... I find by day 5 , I can quite comfortably walk fairly well, if not slow... I am always quite surprised as to how quickly I recover and get back to 'normal'... The biggest thing I can suggest is DON'T pick up anything too heavy, small children etc etc.. I did that with my last c-section, About day 5 I picked up my youngest (at the time) and I swear I popped a stitch and it HURT!!!...
So this time, I am NOT doing that again!!!...
cortln likes this.

April 14th, 2014, 03:18 PM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
@Cortln,

I'm also having a planned cesarean. My first was an emergency c and I felt so disconnected from everything. I didn't really know what was going on and it just made my anxiety worse. Even now 14 years later and by far more prepared for having a cesarean I still get a bit anxious about it. To help ease some of that I got very involved in the process and started doing some research. I found out about something called a Gentle Cesarean (or Family Centered Cesarean) and worked out a birth plan with my OB. I feel far more in control of what will be happening to my body and my daughter. I feel like my input was well received by not only my doctor but also my designated hospital. (Had to make sure this was something the hospital would allow) I learned through the process both OB and Hospital are advocates for this kind of birth and the benefits it holds for both Mom and Baby.

It's been 14 years since I had my cesarean, however 6 years ago my right tube ruptured. Normally they repair this laproscopically, however with the scar tissue in my abdomen, they had to go in through my old cesarean scar to remove the scar tissue, ovary, and tube, so the recovery was much the same. This leaves my recovery a bit unbalanced. With my first c-section I had a newborn to care for and people to help around the house and it wasn't so bad. The rupture repair was far worse. I didn't have a baby to care for to distract me from my discomfort, I was a wreck emotionally having suffered another loss, and my (now ex)husband left me to recover alone, only seeing to me to make sure I ate and took my pain medication. (Is it any wonder I now have an anxiety disorder.. sheesh)

Since you know you're having a cesarean, I agree with others.. set up a baby station where you'll be spending the bulk of your time recovering. You do need to get up and move around, but you also need to get your rest so you can recover. Having a pillow to support your belly when you cough, laugh, or get up to go potty is a must. Also, If you're planning on breast feeding, I highly recommend a nursing pillow to help support baby and lessen the strain on your body trying to prop baby up to nurse.

I know a lot of folks aren't too hip on nursing and taking pain medication, however your doctor has weighed the risks to you and baby, and has prescribed them to you.. Take them as you need them. There is a pulling or twinging sensation that will dissipate over time, and you may be numb in that area for months after, but eventually the feeling comes back. After my son I was walking around comfortably after about a week, and felt closer to normal after 3 weeks. By 6 weeks I was strutting around like a pro. With the ectopic repair it was about the same. This time.. I dunno, I was 23 and 31 recovering, this time I have a 37 year old body that's been run through the wringer. It took me 3 weeks to recover from gall bladder surgery where most folks seem to recover from the same surgery in 1 week.

And some how I got to rambling..............Anywho... check out the Gentle Cesarean and discuss it with your doctor.. It might help alleviate some of your anxiety, especially if you feel more involved in the decision making process.
cortln likes this.
April 15th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks ladies!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search