Breast Pump Help

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 2 Post By TeamMom2008
  • 3 Post By TeamMom2008

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I just got off the phone with our insurance company, and since we are grandfathered in (whatever that means), they provide absolutely nothing towards a breast pump. Total bummer!

So ladies, I need some help. What pump do you recommend and why?

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

April 15th, 2014, 09:51 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
My insurance is the same. Thankfully, I have mine from DD and its still going strong.

The type of pump you want will depend on how you intend to use it. If you're going to be working full time exclusively pumping then you absolutely need an electric pump and most likely a double. I have the Medela Pump In Style Advance and it does the job. I rarely used its double pump feature because DD didn't take bottles so I was eventually just pumping enough to give a bottle for daycare to try every day.
Lyndsey2013 and PoppetsMom like this.

April 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Super Mommy
I have a Medela Pump in Style. It was basically a pump inside of a black backpack. I had no issues getting milk with that for DS. I know someone else who rented a hospital grade pump for an entire year. For the cost of the rental she could have purchased one. Mine still works, so I am considering getting a new pump and leaving one at work and one at home. I work in a "fishbowl", so I have desk in an office with a door and two panel glass windows that are open to the hallway of other (empty) offices with glass windows. I work in the back office by myself, but I work with my dad so I know that he would have absolutely NO issues temporarily hanging a curtain and allowing me to close the door for a few minutes of privacy throughout the day. (This is the same father/boss who tells everyone that he will give me the afternoon off to deliver, but he expects me back at the desk the next day. Not likely...)
AtomicMama and PoppetsMom like this.

April 15th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
I'm in a similar boat - my DH's insurance will cover $100 towards a pump but only with a Doctor's note saying it is medically necessary (and not just for convenience - what the...?)

That said, I know my doctor will give me a note b/c he's awesome

Anyhow - I am torn between a manual pump and an electric pump. I plan on breast feeding and not bottle feeding, but who know how GingerBean will take to either - so I think I'm going to hold off buying one until after she is born.

I have definitely decided on a Medela pump though - I was offered an electric pump by a friend but while a free pump is a bonus...I didn't really like the reviews for the brand she has (even though she said it worked great for her). Being rather well endowed, and even more so due to pregnancy, I really want the best pump for me and my research says that's a Medela.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
April 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan to exclusivly breastfeed until I have to go back to work (IF I have to?).... so I may not buy right away. But, I will definitely do an electric double, and probably Medela from the reviews I've heard.

April 15th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on being a SAHM, but already know there will be times I will need to pump, such as a wedding we have in September. I'd also be able to give DH a feeding now and then, as I know he is really hoping to be able to occasionally give the baby a bottle. I've also heard good things about the Medela Pump in Style, and am leaning that way. They are so darn expensive though!

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

April 15th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Super Mommy
You NEVER know when you'll have to pump. There are times when it's very useful to have a stash, even as a SAHM. I pumped frequently with DS and I was home with him his entire first year. Honestly, when my incision opened up and I ended up at the hospital after one week, had I pumped anything at all my parents wouldn't have had to bring the baby to me while I waited in the ER (through two feedings!). Twice I ended up super sick and needed meds. I was grateful for the stash of antibiotic-free milk because I pump-and-dumped several days of milk during that time. There were days when I was out shopping or visiting friends and the kid was "starving" and my husband would bust out a bottle before I walked in the door. Or after nursing forEVER, the baby would take a bottle on top of it all and you know they are experiencing a growth spurt. You NEVER know what life will bring, and if breastmilk is important to you then you want to make sure that anyone in charge of baby can feed them your milk, not formula. That was my big thing. I was happy to pump as long as he got it.
AtomicMama, Britt3 and PoppetsMom like this.

April 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
I'm fortunate that my insurance covers a pump 100%.. so long as I have a prescription.. which my OB will give me. I just have to remind him to write the RX at the hospital so I can leave with it when we're discharged, otherwise I have to wait for it to be shipped. I'll be getting the Medela Pump In Style, which is a $200 pump. Having nursed my son way back when, I remember plenty of times I just that exhausted that I really needed someone to take over for a few hours so I could get some rest. Having that extra stored for those moments was a lifesaver. Not to mention various appointments that ran over his feeding time.
April 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh, and I bought these this time around. Amazon.com: Pumpin' Pal Super Shields, Angled Pumping Flanges, the Best Flanges By Far in a Complete Set of All Sizes Mom Will Need: Baby

A good friend of mine was having a lot of trouble keeping up with her baby's EBM needs when she returned to work at 3 months. She bought those and it was smooth sailing from there. Every woman's breasts are different and the hard plastic flanges on the Medela (while sized) aren't always the best fit. While I didn't have trouble pumping what I needed, I did find that I was able to pump less and less over time, perhaps due to my breasts changing and needing a different fit. So, I got these thinking that it'll give me a leg up should this baby actually take a bottle. Something to keep in mind, ladies!

April 15th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Canadian Mommies - here are the shields on the Amazon.ca site:

http://www.amazon.ca/Pumpin-Pal-Supe...+Mom+Will+Need

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
April 15th, 2014, 08:09 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do yourself a favor and get an electric double pump. I really loved my Medela

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

April 16th, 2014, 08:08 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 3 angel babies
i just purchased my second Medela In Style breast pump. i had one with Keegan, but as you use it, and as it sits afterwards, it isn't as good, so i replaced it with a brand new one.

it was a little pricy (i got it on super-sale at like $220) but its in a black tote, so it's not obviously a breast pump. plus when you buy it, it usually comes with all kinds of little extras like a cooler storage bag w/ ice pack, a bunch of bottles to store milk, sometimes even attachable bottle nipples so others can feed them out of the same container you pumped into.

Medela is a pretty widely popular brand, so finding replacement parts, as well as more accessories (bottles, storage bags, etc) is pretty easy. the absolute best part about this pump, is you can either plug it directly into the wall (it's a double breast pump) or it has an adapter that you can put batteries into and use it on the go.

i will never use another pump!

10/06/2008 - Miscarriage @ 6wks
12/08/2009 - Healthy Baby Boy
11/02/2011 - Healthy Baby Boy
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
April 16th, 2014, 08:10 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Definitely double electric Medela is great and really popular, but there are other wonderful brands too. See what is in your budget. Or, they are on CL ALLL the time. I got a used pump with DS for cheap, and then I jsut went and replaced all the plastic parts (flanges, tubing, bottles (I always used the Medela glass bottles with the pump) etc.). Really, the only used part was the actual pump machine, anything touching me got replaced, and I saved over $100 that way.

I'v since passed it on, and my insurance will cover a pump this time, though I'm not sure what brand?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search