Being induced?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Missymoos
  • 1 Post By Wish44
  • 2 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 2 Post By mrsdaiwa24
  • 1 Post By AtomicMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Super Mommy
So what is it like to be induced? Is it more painful? Do inductions turn into c-sections? I have had 2 natural child births and new the night before I would go into labor. Both times we packed the car up and were ready. I have heard so many bad things about it I am worried I won't be physically strong enough to go through it. But I really don't want a c-section.

Mom of two TEENAGE girls, 16 and 13.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer Survivor
DX date Nov 20, 2009
Chemo date Jan. 11, 2010
Bilateral mast. March 16, 2010
Exchange tissue expanders September 28, 2010
Expecting the UNEXPECTED but very much wanted little bundle June 28, 2014
I just might be to old for this!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

April 17th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma!
Being a FTM, I can't say anything from personal experience...but my best friend was induced at 41 weeks and she regretted it deeply.

She felt the medical team was too concerned with keeping a schedule as opposed to letting her body adapt to each new dose of medication. As a result, she ended up needing an epidural when she didn't want one and a 4th degree tear that took many layers of stitches to close.

This time around she is using a midwife insted of an OBGYN (who, btw - wasn't even at the birth of her first son b/c it wasn't the OBGYN's weekend to be on call - so she was surrounded by medical staff she didn't know!) and they have assured her that they wouldn't think about inducing until at least 42 weeks now...unless it became medically necessary beforehand (and being one week past your due date with all other signs being fine, is NOT a medically necessary situation).
moxiemommie likes this.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
April 17th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Super Mommy
I'm a FTM as well - so also not speaking from experience, but from co-workers stories, I've heard being induced makes things more intense (which makes sense, because body is being forced into something it is not quite ready for yet).

From my info session at the hospital they made sure to stress it is not some magical process that they do and voila, a baby is here - once the process starts it can still take days before the baby arrives.

I live in Canada - the process here now is that if you are 10 days past your due date they induce you, or for medical reasons - but it's not something one simply elects to get done.
April 17th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Also a FTM, but I've heard horror stories about getting induced. Especially if your body is not yet ready to give birth. If baby is still high, and your cervix is closed and long, your body simply is not ready, and an induction may be complicated. Unless medically necessary, I personally do not think doctors should be inducing women at 38-39 weeks just because women want to be done.

I've also heard that pitocin contractions are way worse. Again, no experience, so I can only speak from what people have told me.
moxiemommie likes this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

April 17th, 2014, 11:26 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm assuming you're being induced for a pretty good reason and that the date isn't really up for debate? If so, then its just a matter of making the induction as smooth as possible. There are plenty of ways to go about an induction aside from just having you come in and hooking you up to Pitocin. You could have a foley bulb placed to manually dilate you rather than relying on drugs. That could start your labor right up and you won't have to suffer the extra pain and potential threat to baby of pitocin contractions. Whether or not a foley bulb induction will work will depend a lot on baby. If you have a favorable Bishop's score, then a more natural induction is much more likely to succeed. If you have to resort to pitocin and then decide on an epidural, ask for a walking epidural if your hospital can provide one. Being able to walk and get into different positions will GREATLY improve the chances of avoiding a c/s. Focus on promoting good positioning for baby now. Look at spinningbabies.com for lots of good info. If baby is locked and loaded, you'll have a much smoother induction. I'd avoid breaking your water as a first pass at induction. It puts you on the clock and starts the stream of interventions. Now, if you've successfully dilated to like 4-5cm with a Foley bulb and just need a kick to get things going to avoid pitocin, then breaking your waters might be just what you need to push things along. Have a good long talk with your doctor about your options.
jayepink and moxiemommie like this.

April 17th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Veteran
I was induced my the Dr. stripping my membranes with baby 1 and a regular induction with baby 2. I am probably going to be induced this time due to gd. My induction was easier with my almost ten pounder than my first delivery. That being said, I was 4cm and 75 percent effaced going in. I was on the lowest dose of pitocin for an hour and then my water was broken. The breaking of the water sent me into labor more than the pitocin I believe. If your body is ready then I don't think an induction is something to worry about. I do not have experience with a full blown do everything induction so I can't comment on that.
April 17th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced at 41 weeks with my first. Since my body was not ready even at that point I ended up with an emergency c section. Which was awful compared to my scheduled section. I have never had a natural delivery even though I wanted one very much. But if I had to choose between induction and a section I would go for a planned section every time.

April 17th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with my DD at 41 weeks and TBH, it was awful and I refuse to be induced again this time around. One problem I think I had, was that they just hooked me up to pitocin right away, and didn't do anything to ripen my cervix. If you have to be induced for medical reasons, I'd see what your options are for going slow... trying more natural things first (like cervix ripening, etc)... before just being pumped full of pitocin.

The worst part I think was being confined to the bed, because they had to put an internal monitor on DD's head.

Whatever happens, it won't last forever..... and don't feel bad about needing to get drugs/pain meds to help. Pitocin contractions just plain suck.

Good luck!
April 17th, 2014, 04:55 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I was induced at 39 weeks with Betsy. I was over 3 - 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced. I had already had two "scares" (both involving bleeding) that had sent me to L&D in just over a week. My anxiety was through the roof and my doctors decided I was a "good candidate" for induction.

I was induced -- labor progressed smoothly and quickly -- I pushed for two hours but she couldn't come out. Her head was too big to push through (I have a slender, petite body frame and very narrow hips). They tried everything but couldn't get her out (upon hearing that her head was in the upper 90th percentiles at birth, this doesn't shock me at all). I ended up having an unplanned c-section.

(When I talked to my new doctors this time around and told them the story, it was agreed that the induction had nothing to do with the c-section and they felt that given the problems I had the first time around, a c-section was the way to go this time)

Did the induction lead to the c-section? I really don't believe that in my case it did. My daughter was born at 39 weeks and weighed less than 7 pounds -- she was too big and even fully dilated, I was just too small. Do what you feel is right for you and your baby.
Missymoos and PoppetsMom like this.
April 19th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Caitlin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it's a choice between an induction and a c-section, induction would be my choice. I have had to be induced for medical reasons at 35 weeks with both of my boys. Obviously they were not 'locked and loaded' at that point, but both inductions were very smooth. I do also suggest having them ripen your cervix the night before- they did this with both of mine and both labors were only about 8 hours from the hookup of pitocin.
April 19th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Super Mommy
When I was induced with DD they admitted me to L&D and hooked me straight up to the meds. My body wasnt ready at all and it was rough. I felt like my body fought the meds the entire time and ended up with massive complications in the end. If I end up having to be induced this time Ive been told that they give you stuff to get your cervix ready first and it makes it a lot easier. There are quite a few ladies on my DDC that have had successful inductions in the past and loved them so its not all bad. I just highly recommend the cervix ripener for sure!

April 19th, 2014, 07:49 PM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with my first ds at 41 and half weeks... Due to being overdue... Although I have nothing else to compare it with, I was in labour for about 18 hours and labour wasn't progressing at all.. It was like my body refused to go any further... As I said, although I don't have any other labour experience to go by, it was very difficult labour... And I had gas and that was about it... I ended up having an emergency c-section, and then because I was in such hard labour, they were unable to give me a spinal (after they tried digging the needle in every part of my back for about an hour and half, WHILE IN LABOUR!!!)..., so I had to have a general.. It was by far my worst experience having a baby out of all my children...

Since then, I have had 3 other scheduled c-sections, and this will be my 5th and last... Did the induction cause my labour be worse? I can't be sure... as I said, I have nothing else to compare it with... But I can say labour hit me fast and hard with the induction... and I agree with the other ladies, it was like my body wasn't ready.. (although I was 41 and half weeks!!!)...

April 20th, 2014, 05:11 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I work in Labor and Delivery and I would say 90% of our inductions go smoothly. A LOT of people electively induce here.

So we cannot induce a FTM unless medically needed until 41 weeks but after that (we call them multips, people already have children) Multips can electively induce at 39 weeks. Our multip inductions usually go great because they're body as already done it and they tend to deliver faster.

Yes I've seen inductions turn into c sections. But a lot of those are FTM who are 41+ weeks and their bodies just still aren't ready.

Since you have already delivered vaginally your body would handle an induction much better. Yes, pitocin will make your contractions worse. That's not a secret. You need to discuss these fears with your OBGYN. There will always be horror stories.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
April 21st, 2014, 08:45 AM
trusting and believing
I was scheduled to be induced with my first between 38 an 39 weeks due to my clotting disorder and anticlotting meds. They were going to offer the cervical ripening first. Baby ended up coming on his own 2 days before the induction. I really think my ob did something (?) at my last exam to get things moving, because that exam was so so so very uncomfortable. I was already between 1 and 2cm dilated also at that exam.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat again this time, induction between 38 and 39 is standard for women like me. I appreciate the tips about the foley bulb and cervical ripening. Hopefully, things will turn out like last time and this little guy will show up spontaneously also.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
April 21st, 2014, 09:25 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 5 angel babies
i honestly enjoyed my induction better than going into labor naturally because we knew the date ahead of time (a few days before) and i felt more in control of my labor. there isn't the question of "am i or not" because you know if the contractions haven't started up quite yet, they will anytime.

with that being said, i want to go naturally with Karson if i can (as in not be induced). but i also don't want him to be a huge baby. so time will tell, but i'd like to labor at home, in peace, for as long as possible. because when i was being induced, family kept calling the entire time seeing if a baby had been born yet.

April 21st, 2014, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had "natural" labors also, certainly no pain meds or anything like that, although they DID try to sneak pit on me with Luke when he was crowning, AND not tell me, I refused, but they did it anyways, even after I said no, but thats a different story LOL.
I was induced with our second, Luke. Then next day he would have been 40 weeks but Brian was so worried he wouldnt get time off and his mom already did like an hr+ drive to watch Ryan. ( I had been admitted because I had a horrible stomach flu that made me dehydrated and the dehydration, caused contrations to start) ANYWAYS I did not have an epidural, or pit with him (except for the half drop they snuck in as he was CROWNING... stupid people) What they did for me is they broke my water. I started really slow... the first hr and a half, nothing too interesting happened. After that, though it was VERY fast. I started contracting they were strong and 5 minutes apart, maybe. Then they jumped quickly to lik 2-3 min apart. I had a ton of pressure and told them I had to push, I jumped from 8cm-10 cm within ten minutes, it took like 3 pushes and that was that, he was born just shy of 5 hours. That said, (and I had no idea until this pregnancy) That like 75% of the time when they break your water, it results in an emergency c-section. They are also MUCH more pushy as far as pitocin and other stimulants to get labor started, and that baby out. When in reality they dont have to be, even if they break your water, as long as it hasnt been over 24 hours since your water was broken.
I know pitocin is hard on your body, it makes everything happen "fast" and Ive heard the contractions are much stronger, and is a bit harder on your body. That said if you can, I would try to avoid an epidural. I say that because epidurals can actually slow, the effects of the pitocin. Then the give you more pit, making it hurt more, so then they up your epidural, which slows the effects of the pit, and it becomes a vicious cycle. So if you have to be induced, the best way- in my theory, is - make sure baby has dropped and is in position, and that your cervix is fairly soft and short. The baby putting pressure on your cervix will help labor go more smoothy. Have them start you on a "low" dose of pitocin and avoid an epidural. Pit contractions are said to hurt more, but even still, try to remain " active." Try to stand, and walk, try "resting" in defferent positions (like sitting on your legs, or rocking on your hands and knees, whatever will help baby put more pressure on your cervix. ) Hopefully you will have good drs, but do not let them push you. Induction takes time, and sometimes starts slow, and it can take more time for your body to fully dialate and be ready to push baby out. Although, you also want to be aware of babys heart rate. If nothing changes at all after 20 hours, I wouldnt continue with induction- personally. Thats when I would consider a c-section. But thats worse case scenario, really. So just research and try to stew things over. You may decide that you dont even want to try induction if the baby is high and not engaged at all. But you are in a very different situation than most, so you need to do whats best for your you, your baby and body- and only you know what that is! *hugs* Hopefully all will go very well with whatever you decide

April 21st, 2014, 11:19 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I was induced with DS at 41 weeks because my placenta was deteriorating and with his 2 vessel cord, it was too risky to keep him in. That said, all it took was one "dose" of prostaglandin to induce. I never needed pitocin at all. From that aspect, it very much mimicked a labor brought on naturally. I did have a long labor (23 hours), but he was posterior with a hand in his face, and pushing alone took 3 hours. Honestly, I think it was his position that kept me from going into labor on my own.

All that said, I would ask about your non-pit induction options first. If there aren't any, I think you will still do great!!!
moxiemommie likes this.

April 21st, 2014, 12:33 PM
I've heard different stories...some of my friends preferred c section over natural birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search