Breastfeeding Pillow

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Super Mommy
I apologize if this is a duplicate post - I feel as though we may have discussed this a while ago, but can't remember.

For those that have breast fed in the past or are planning to, do you have any recommendations regarding Breastfeeding Pillows?!

Do you recommend them - and if so, which one/why, please.

I am a bit overwhelmed with the options (and prices) of pillows currently available. I'm willing to spend the extra money if it's worth it.
April 29th, 2014, 08:27 AM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
No suggestions but I received a boppy at my shower that my bf's sister seems to love!
Britt3 and Mel S like this.

April 29th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We got a Boppy. It seems versatile--can use for BF, but also for tummy time and to lay baby on. No experience with it, but it seems like it will work. Haha!
Mel S likes this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

April 29th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
I haven't used one yet so I am not an expert by any means...

...my DH's niece is using one of the newer styles:
My Brest Friend - Sunburst - Zenoff Products - Babies"R"Us

I initially wanted the Organic Cuddle-U Nursing pillow:
Organic Cuddle-U Nursing Pillow - Leachco, Inc. - Babies"R"Us

...but I was offered and am using one from a friend which is the same classic horse shoe shape, I just bought a couple new covers for it.

I would suggest going into a store (Babies R Us, Sears) that carries a few of the different styles and try sitting with them in the store to see which one feels the most comfortable to you...?
Mel S likes this.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
April 29th, 2014, 10:03 AM
njkatc's Avatar Kelly
I have both a boppy and a breastfriend. The breastfriend is firmer and offers more solid support, the boppy is more squishy but it really just depends on where you are sitting and what kind of support you need/prefer. With DS I pretty much only used the breastfriend. With DD I used the boppy more.
Mel S likes this.

April 29th, 2014, 10:24 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 4 angel babies
boppy.

omg where would i be without that thing.

i used it more with kale, because after i had him (and pushed for three hours) my arms were exhausted. i remember them putting him on my chest right after he came out and i could hardly lift my arms to hold him. the pillow was a godsend because it helped keep him propped up when i didn't have the strength too. plus it makes marathon nursing more withstand-able.

plus the pillow works great on the floor to prop baby up, or for a little tummy time. right now until karson is here i'm using it (and some other pillows) to help put my feet up at night to help with the swelling.

boppy pillow: BEST PURCHASE.
Mel S likes this.
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
09/03/2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
April 29th, 2014, 10:50 AM
bluewren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never owned anything other than a Boppy so I can't compare it to similar products but I liked using the Boppy enough that I never felt the need to try similar products.
AtomicMama and Mel S like this.

April 29th, 2014, 10:59 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
We have a Boppy. No complaints with that.
Mel S likes this.
April 29th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Looks like the Canadian Babies R Us doesn't carry the actual Boppy pillow brand - we can get it on Amazon.ca but's it's over twice the price!

Mel - I think the Toys R Us Nursing pillow, Especially for Baby, or The Babysitter nuuring pillows are the comparables in Canada, same price, shape, etc.:
Babies R Us Luv U 4 Ever Nursing Pillow - Green - Babies R Us - Babies"R"Us
Especially for Baby Nursing Pillow - Jungle Parade Coffee - Especially for Baby - Babies"R"Us
The Baby Sitter - The Pillow to Grow On - Jolly Jumper - Babies"R"Us

ps - from some of the news feeds on other Mommy Sites, it looks like Target may carry them in their Canadian stores...it's a bit more expensive in Canada though, around $36.
Mel S likes this.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)

Last edited by Missymoos; April 29th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
April 29th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE the boppy! It was one of the first things I bought this time around. I saw something at target the other day while browsing that vibrated and did all kinds of fancy things and was like double the price. I don't really think it's necessary.. the boppy was perfect for us!
Mel S likes this.

April 29th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missymoos View Post
Looks like the Canadian Babies R Us doesn't carry the actual Boppy pillow brand - we can get it on Amazon.ca but's it's over twice the price!
I know - that's the issue I came across...the Boppy doesn't even appear to ship to Canada from their website. I saw on one Canadian Board that some women were able to find it at Target within Canada...we just had a few open here so I may check it out.

I am leaning towards the Especially for Baby otherwise as I agree - it looks comparable.

I have also asked a co-woker whose daughter just had a baby which pillow she uses - apparently her daughter and her friends all have the same one and swear by it - I will let you know what it is when I find out.
Missymoos likes this.
April 29th, 2014, 12:08 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I love my Boppy, but I've never tried anything else either.
Mel S likes this.

April 29th, 2014, 01:35 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I love my Boppy. I've tried a My Breast Friend and just found it less comfortable and less adaptable to my position. Which one works best for you might depend a bit on your body type. I'm shorter (5'4") and my boobs aren't small but not huge either (D's when BFing). I seem to recall that the women I've known with longer torsos and/or larger boobs seem to prefer the My Breast Friend as it holds baby up higher and is easier to position baby on while you deal with the tatas. I've known women who've used the My Breast Friend to nurse while walking around the house. I don't think I could manage that and, besides, I use a ringsling for hands free nursing. If you don't want to spend a ton of money on different pillows, find somewhere where you could try one out after baby comes. La Leche League meetings or other support groups often have some on hand. My birth center support group has both and that's where I tried the My Breast Friend.
Mel S likes this.

April 29th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a boppy, I used it sometimes, but more to put the baby down lol. I would set it on the floor and put a blanket over it and sit the baby up with boppy supporting his head, Id give him a toy and just let him hang out for 10/15min while I swept or even went to the bathroom. I also used it to sit him on our bed while I was folding laundry (on the bed next to him) so it came in handy for a few things. They also sell boppy covers at targetfor about $15 Boppys range from like 25 to 30, I think. If you get one used and are worried about germs, just wash the pillow itself without the cover in hot water, and use hebieclense and bleach. Takes care of any parasites. I wou wash twice. Thn wash the cover in heibeclense warm;hot water and soap
Mel S likes this.

April 29th, 2014, 08:58 PM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
I had a boppy for my son and I LOVED it! 15 years later I have no clue where that thing ended up. Just had my shower this past weekend and was beyond over the moon to find that I had received not one but TWO Boppy's. I'll be picking up a third so I don't have to cart them around from Home, Mom's, and my partners parents house. Those things are a god send for c/s Momma's that's for sure!
Mel S likes this.
May 12th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you all again for the suggestions.

A quick update for the Canadian Girls - I found the Boppy at Target over the weekend. It was only 29.99 without a slip cover or 39.99 with a slip cover, additional slip covers were between 9.99-14.99.

Another item I can check off my list!
Missymoos likes this.
May 12th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
We registered for a Boppy and received it at the shower. I used one with my son and had no complaints. Besides, while the baby is a newborn, I feel like with most pillows you'd need to add a little support between baby (nursing) and the pillow anyways... (like a rolled up blanket?) so to me it didn't seem to matter which we got.
Mel S likes this.

May 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM
trusting and believing
I used the Cuddle U with my first, and sometimes just a regular ol' bed pillow.
Mel S likes this.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
May 12th, 2014, 01:09 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from May...but we got a Boppy. If I end up not really liking that too much, I plan on using just a regular bed pillow. Probably the sham one since it's more firm and can give more support.
Mel S likes this.
May 12th, 2014, 09:56 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Going to just put it out there, if you have more than one floor in your house or anything, GET TWO.
Missymoos and Mel S like this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search