Baby is still not head down?

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 2 Post By Missymoos
  • 1 Post By toasterbell
  • 1 Post By AtomicMama
  • 2 Post By TiggersMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
At my recent appointment, 6 days ago, my baby was diagonal, but head down-ish. (The appointment before that, she was head down for the first time). My Midwife didn't seem super worried and said that if she's still not head-down at my next appointment (in 8 days) then we will discuss excersizes and ways to get her to turn.
I was trying not to stress about it... even though since the beginning of this pregnancy I've been super terrified of breech..

Then last night we were sitting on the couch and I was feeling around my belly to see if she was head down. I couldn't find her butt, like I normally can. And she hasn't been super active lately, I guess because of the lack of room, so I really couldn't tell you where I've felt her (I've been feeling her move more than kick, if that makes sense). So I thought I found her back... but it was horizontal. I thought for sure I was wrong, and didn't think more about it.

Then at 3am I was woken up by her having hickups for what seemed like FOREVER! They were reallllllly hard/heavy (however you want to describe a "vicious" hiccup lol) too. lol. Then it dawned on me.......... I was feeling her hiccups to my FARRRRRRRRR right side. Meaning, she really is laying horizontally. AHH! What gives?!??

Is it time for me to worry?! I'm trying not to stress, but I"m totally stressing..
What do I do?!

May 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Try not to worry yet. Transverse is still better than fully breech and you've still got time. Hiccups can be seriously deceiving. I swear Sprog's butt gets hiccups. Don't stress but do what you can to give baby lots of opportunity to get into a proper head down position. Avoid slumping into chairs. Instead, sit with your knees lower than your belly and keep your chest open. If your torso is nice and open then there's more room for baby to assume the most comfy position, which is head down.
moxiemommie likes this.

May 13th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Halloween81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told at my last u/s the baby is in a frank breech position (the u/s was a week and a half ago but i can still feel her head between my ribs). My Dr said not to worry too much until after 36 weeks, by then most babies will have turned. I have tried to get her to turn but nothing has worked so far. It's not too soon to start trying to turn your baby, I have read the earlier you start the better and there is a lot of info online.

I feel all hiccoughs on my lower right side - right where baby girl's bum is.
Chemical pregnancy - January 9, 2010
Miscarriage at 10 weeks - April 21, 2010
Miscarriage at 7 weeks - October 22, 2010
Miscarriage at 10 weeks - May 14, 2011
Miscarriage at 17 weeks - December 7, 2011 (My sweet little Joshua had Achondrogenesis type 2)
Miscarriage at 5 weeks - June 5, 2013

All test results normal. Reason for RPL unknown.

Annabel born healthy at 35 weeks - May 22, 2014
May 13th, 2014, 12:19 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Don't stress!!! I promise She can still flip easily!

Like Erin said, work on having very good posture as much as possible (it's hard, I know!). Look at flipping babies if you want to try some exercises. I love doing the Cow Pose from yoga, and that's good to get babies into proper position. You still have time

Will your midwife deliver a breech baby? vJust curious!

May 13th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Like the other ladies have said above - there are lots of websites that talk about positions and activities you can do to "encourage" baby to turn head down...maybe startdoing some regularly to help baby go from diagonal to completely head down and stay that way?

lol - as for hiccups - I feel like my lady-parts have the hiccups now whenever GingerBean gets them
Britt3 and Mel S like this.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
May 13th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for the feedback ladies. Yes, I slouch a TON while at my desk job... it's the only way to stay comfy some days. I'll for sure keep an eye on that now though.

My midwife actually will deliver breech babies (depending on the type of breech)... but I personally don't know anything about breech births, so I'd want to read up on it more to see if it's something I'd be comfortable with myself or not.

I'll try not to stress it, but at the same time, I'll go ahead and look into the different excersizes I can do..

May 13th, 2014, 01:17 PM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
Try not to stress. I went to L&D last week and lying on my back I could feel hiccups on my lower right side really strong. We looked him up on the sonogram and could see him head down (with the hiccups) but they totally didn't feel like where he was.

May 13th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran
Me too! I just found out this morning. Sprout has been head down as long as my midwife has been checking, but sometime in the last two weeks has decided to turn himself transverse. I KNEW something felt weird recently. Apparently he's got his head on my right side, back up, butt on my left side, and his legs are straight out in a pike position. If I were to try to deliver now his presenting part would be his scrotum! My OB told me to search youtube for methods to try at home and to massage my belly in the direction I want him to turn. She told me that he's still got a chance to turn again, but she already asked whether I'd be interested in trying an external version or if I'd want to skip that and go for a c-section (can't deliver a transverse baby, unlike a breech one). I'm definitely in the version crowd :-P. I'm thinking it may be because he's such a little guy (only 3lbs 9oz at 32 weeks), and I'm hoping that means he's got a better chance to turn back. I just don't get why he's decided to turn now :-P.

I am hoping, though, that your hiccups don't mean he's sideways. When my kiddo was still head-down, I always got hiccups on my far left or right side just under the level of the belly button. Now that he's transverse, I'm feeling most hiccups right up on top, way above the belly button.

- Gypsy 34w 3d

(okay, I'll go back to lurking now)
Britt3 likes this.
May 13th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't stress. They say not to worry until 36 weeks and some babies even turn after that. Plus, look at it as less time you have to walk around with a heavy head constantly pushing on your cervix. Nothing better than the pregnant waddle!

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

May 13th, 2014, 01:44 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I was slouching at my desk job until my doula got onto me about it. She said it's the best way to have a poorly positioned baby, and after the tortorous posterior labor with DS, I wanted to get this baby properly positioned, haha.

Do your research, but a breech birth can definitely be safer than a c-section in certain cases.
Britt3 likes this.

May 13th, 2014, 02:06 PM
chrysalis1's Avatar + Positively Pregnant! +
Hmmmm your baby might be on its way to flipping head down if shes in transverse position now! My baby was transverse for like a week before finally setting into a head down position. At my 33 week appt he was breech and at my 35 week appt he was head down... and in between I remember thinking he was definitely transverse because i felt feet and arms stretching out simultaneously on my left and right! I had never felt him in that position before so it was weird! I was like why is my baby laying sideways lol. Sleeping was uncomfortable and my stomach had a weird shape like an egg laying on its side. But after that phase, by my next appt he was head down.
"Mild" pcos, blessed with BFP on cycle #4 ttc
Baby Braden 5/25/2014He's finally here!

]

Last edited by chrysalis1; May 13th, 2014 at 02:08 PM.
May 13th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't stress to much. She could be transverse.

May 14th, 2014, 08:30 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 4 angel babies
i wouldn't worry too much. a lot of times babies don't flip until well into late pregnancy, sometimes not until labor.

one thing you could try that i did with my second, was an exercise to encourage the baby to move head down: put your knees up on a couch, chair, bed, etc, and lay your hands flat on the floor. you're going to feel super glamerous doing this lol but it does work. while in this position, slowly, and only with as much as your comfortable, push your stomach out, so that there is a U shape of your spine. BE CAREFUL with this exercise though and only hold that position for a few seconds before releasing. it may cause your body to contract, which is why you may want to wait a little longer before trying.
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
09/03/2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
May 14th, 2014, 01:17 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
That's awesome that your MWs will deliver breech babies. Mine won't and there's only like one OB in town who will. Up until quite recently, breech babies weren't routinely delivered via c/s. There's extra risk but there's also risk with a c/s. I would MUCH prefer a vaginal breech birth with a care provider trained in breech birth over a c/s. Given my very limited options here, I would likely (sadly) submit to a c/s if Sprog turned breech on me.
Britt3 and moxiemommie like this.

May 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree Erin, idk what I would do if baby was breech. I know mine didnt even try to flip until 37weeks (ry was head down the whole preg - or a lot of it then turned up wards at 34 weeks, but turned again (head down) by 37... crazy boy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search