Question for breast feeding Moms

Forum: June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Thankfulhelpmeet
  • 1 Post By mommaof5girls
  • 1 Post By Missymoos
  • 1 Post By sarahlong0929
  • 1 Post By LUSHaye

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2014, 04:57 PM
NewMommyErin's Avatar Regular
Sorry if this is supposed to be posted somewhere else - I'm not quite sure how to determine what goes where.

My daughter was born at 35.5 weeks. Her bilirubin levels were high and she was put under the lights due to being jaundiced. She'll be 7 weeks old this coming Thursday.

As per Dr. orders, I've been giving her liquid vitamin D, due to her high bilirubin at birth, and the fact that she's strictly being breastfed. Also, as of last week, her bilirubin levels were still "slightly elevated".

Here's the thing - the vitamin D suspension is so thick that it chokes her. I dilute it w. water but it's made no difference. It's scary and hard to continually give it to her every day when it makes her gasp for air. I've developed some anxiety about giving it to her. Even though I administer it very slowly and towards the back of her cheek, it just won't go down without seeming downright dangerous.

I don't mean to be overly dramatic about it , and I obviously want what's best for my baby, but I don't know if it's worth the risk . I've noticed the trend that all breast fed babies are now supposed to be supplemented with vitamin D. It just makes me question if it's necessary.

So many babies have had "a touch of jaundice" for years and years and besides bili lights, the remedy used to be putting them in front of a window for a short time every day, to safely expose them to the sun rays.

The whites of her eyes are still a little yellow, and yes I know I should consult my pediatrician. But have any of you had similar experiences? What are your thoughts? Her pediatrician recommends continuing the drops, but he's not the one giving them to her daily, and praying she doesn't aspirate the d*** stuff.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this?
June 30th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Super Mommy
u can buy poly or tri visol vot d drops at drug store. just put a drop on your nipple and she can drink it off that way when nursing. all the best!
NewMommyErin likes this.
July 1st, 2014, 05:04 AM
NewMommyErin's Avatar Regular
I'll look into this. Thanks
July 1st, 2014, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking here from Jan PR. I prefer natural methods. With my Jan baby the pedi told us to get the drops. Honestly, we lied to her and said we got them. I believe that my milk is made perfect for my baby. So my opinion.... get that baby in some good old fashioned sun shine!
NewMommyErin likes this.

Momma to
DD-15, DD-11, DD-7, DD-2 &
baby girl born December 20, 2014

July 3rd, 2014, 10:43 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Rainey does not have any jaundice but I was giving her Vit. D - I was using the drops by Jamieson, the liquid is nice and thin. I kept forgetting to put it on her pacifier or my nipple so I would put a drop directly in her mouth while she was awake and cooing, lol.

But now that the weather is gorgeous here and we go for daily walks, I've stopped giving her the drops...I just make sure she is exposed for a little bit to the sun during our walks for some good old fashioned sunshine vitamin D.
NewMommyErin likes this.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
July 3rd, 2014, 02:30 PM
Veteran
I brought my baby out in the sun three times a day for 5-10 min and it cleared up the jaundice pretty quick. Baby still does not get vitamin D - I will probably start in the fall when less sunshine.
NewMommyErin likes this.

Nathaniel "Nate"
July 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from May PR! Bun was in the nicu for two weeks where they could put the lights on him when he started looking a little jaundiced. When he came home though, he just got more yellow. They didn't have us get any vit-d drops or anything because he was still within the safe range. However, we took him out to a festival and he looked so much better a couple days later. Sunshine seems to be the best bet. He still has a slight yellow tint but the doctors said it's just from breastmilk and nothing to worry about and that it completely clears up by 2-4 months.
NewMommyErin likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search