Maternity clothes

Forum: **NEW** June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mrsdaiwa24

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
So I caved and bought a pair of black skinny maternity jeans -- they were 50% off at Kohls AND I had Kohls cash, so I only spent $15. I didn't have a pair the last go-around, so I really wanted to pick up a pair for this time (and for $15, couldn't go wrong!). Sure, I won't wear them until December, but at least I have them.

I gave away all of my maternity clothes last summer because Betsy was supposed to be an "only". Thankfully, the woman who I gave them to quit her job to be a SAHM and so she said that I can get the clothes back (especially the pieces I bought for work). I couldn't imagine having to buy a SECOND set of maternity clothes!!!!

BTDT mommies -- how soon did you start wearing maternity clothes the last time? When do you think you'll start wearing them this time?

First time mommies -- how soon before you go out and get some? It's so exciting!!!!!
bluewren and Demetria like this.
September 30th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
Maternity skinnies?! Ok, I probably hate you right now!! I want to wear preggo skinnies!! Sadly with Ava I never really lost my weight completely, before her, I was a size 5! I was just thinking today that for maternity clothes I will probably resort to wearing my DH's tee shirts....and my many pairs of Zumba pants!!

But the good part is hey I hardly leave the house when its cold anyway. hehehe

Oh and to actually answer your question, with my first it took a while, with my middle daughter I NEVER had to wear maternity clothes, but with my 2yr old...I think it was around about 12-16 weeks when I had to start wearing maternity clothing. But I never really brought actual maternity tops, only pants, then I went to my fav stores and sized way up for a bit of room in the tops!
September 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM
bluewren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my son I did move into maternity pants about 3 months because I always felt bloated and regular pants were starting to drive me crazy. I mainly wore comfortable tunics/dresses with leggings/pants or empire tops a size bigger until summer hit and then I mainly wore regular maxi dresses a size or two bigger. With soft knit jersey materials I always felt like there was enough give for the belly and often I'd find the regular items for cheaper than the maternity versions. I did have a few maternity tops but I only got them if they were cute/cheap enough. Once it cooled off, I would have been 7/8 months at that time, and I started wearing pants/tops again by that point my belly was so big that I could not get enough length to cover the belly with regular tops and I started mainly wearing maternity tops for coverage.

I'm probably going to go a similar route as I did last time when I was a few months pregnant in the spring. Lots of stretchy dresses and tunics with leggings, boots, and a cardigan to keep warm. I presume I will have to get a winter coat at some point but I'm a big fan of thrift stores so maybe I'll come across something?

September 30th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
I was in maternity clothes with my son at 8 weeks...and all of the others at 5.

I'm getting mine out this weekend. Right now I'm making do with a hair tie on my pants.

I'm heavier now than I've ever been before pregnancy...so I think I'll show later, but I can already tell the bloat is ON.

I have a ton of maternity clothes, so many I'm giving some away...some of them are from a long time ago but what doesn't work for me may work for someone else? If anyone needs any let me know, I'd be happy to send some. Half the stuff I won't even wear.
September 30th, 2013, 05:52 PM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
Yay for new clothes!
I can't wait to get a new wardrobe! But, I have no idea when I'll be needing them. I'm not even bloated like some women seem to get in early pregnancy? Well, I'm bloated- but it's in my fingers, not my stomach area. So I'm not sure?

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
September 30th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Veteran
I've been looking at maternity clothing & making a list of what I'll need/want.

With the first, I had 2 mat dresses & that was just to say I had them! With the second, I probably should have been in them in month 3, but I think I was officially in them in month 4...but my clothes hardly looked like maternity wear.

This time I have several pieces that will transition well. I'm thinking I'll be in mat wear b/t 10-12 weeks, but not needing too much, as I'm mostly at home. I think my biggest buys will be jeans, a few layering camis, and a few bump-hugging dresses & shirts.
September 30th, 2013, 07:03 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
My regular wardrobe is full of fitted, tailored pieces and very few "flowy" shirts and dresses, so once I start gaining the weight, I'm stuck. I need this warm weather to go away so I can start wearing my heavier sweaters -- that will buy me some time. If history repeats itself, I'll be in the maternity pants by early November. I'll keep wearing my cardigans all winter with some maternity shirts underneath.

BTW, for you first time mommies, belly bands are the way to go! You can keep wearing your regular pants for a lot longer if you have the band. It's the same idea as Angela's hair tie around the button, but I think they're way more comfortable (plus, they have that "Hooray! I'm wearing something that's from the maternity section!" excitement!!).
September 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdaiwa24 View Post
BTW, for you first time mommies, belly bands are the way to go! You can keep wearing your regular pants for a lot longer if you have the band. It's the same idea as Angela's hair tie around the button, but I think they're way more comfortable (plus, they have that "Hooray! I'm wearing something that's from the maternity section!" excitement!!).
My sister swears by these when she was pregnant, so I will definitely get!

September 30th, 2013, 07:20 PM
~mama2monkeys~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~mama2monkeys~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~mama2monkeys~
I'll probably have to buy all new stuff all over again, unless I have a few things left over from 6 years ago when I was pregnant in the fall/winter. All of the stuff I do have is spring/summer.

I usually have to start wearing the pants pretty early.... earlier each time, it seems. My regular pants right now are already uncomfortable. But i'm hoping to push it to at least 8 weeks. we'll see! Shirts, though, I can wait a while. I usually start wearing the pants only for comfort purposes
I'm Carrie, wife to Micah (10/11/03) and mommy to 4 little monkeys! Jonah (10/08/04) Bella Kate (04-05-07) Finlay (09-17-09) Abram (10-28-11)and Baby #5, Baby Boy, Due May 2014!

October 1st, 2013, 05:50 AM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
I will wear my maternity tops from my last pregnancy, but I know I will need new pants. I stretched out the band in both of them by the end. LOL

October 1st, 2013, 05:54 AM
where do you all get your maternity clothes from?

October 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory, and Target. I've looked at Motherhood Maternity but their prices are too steep for my liking.

October 1st, 2013, 07:31 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyTales View Post
where do you all get your maternity clothes from?
Motherhood (maybe it's expense level depends on the area...I think their prices are reasonable...they have 30% off their sale items right now) & Old Navy...I'm interested in Pink Blush & checking out Kohls (since so many moms swear by it). I'll mostly stick to ON & Mothehood tho...and making my non-maternity items work too, particularly my sweaters & stretchy shirts/dresses!
October 1st, 2013, 08:06 AM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm already so bloated that I feel like everyone knows when they see me. I work a professional job that I already get crap for, so getting a few pieces like pants and skirts will be a must when I start showing more.

But the tips are awesome. I'm a big kohl's fan so I'll be heading that way when ready!

October 1st, 2013, 12:00 PM
I started wearing maternity clothes around 4 months with my last pregnancy.

October 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Maternity clothes are sooooo expensive. I made 3-4 pairs last both pregnancies, but wore them out I also wore out my 4 shirts, thats all I had. So now that Im a SAHM, Ill probably try to stay in what I have for the first 3-4 months, get a couple cute dresses that I can ear both fir the holidays and summer, then instead of jeans, jusy get pants with eleastic bands. I have one pair that I love, used to wear them for work pants... I m wearing them now . Definitely need some sweats and workout shorts too. Sweats for exercise n lazing about lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search