Hyperemesis gravidarum anyone?

Forum: **NEW** June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By epsilonbeta
  • 1 Post By epsilonbeta
  • 1 Post By Wish44

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2013, 02:20 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
Tips? Advice? Warnings? Glimmers of hope?

I got diagnosed today. My dosage of Zofran has been doubled because it stopped helping after only 2 days. Unisom has been put on order if that on its own doesn't work. I also got my first liter of IV fluids for the dehydration.

The other pregnant ladies at work are managing so I felt so weak that I couldn't manage on my own. Glad the doctor was super supportive.

It also let me see my little bean so that was one plus in the day.

((Hopefully)) Only 7 weeks left of this to go.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
October 28th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
Oh how tough!!! I never had it but my sister did and hers was terrible for months!! But she was an extreme case to where she would even throw up water and even saliva! I hope your extra dose of meds work. What does/will the Unisom do? I thought that was a sleep med?

Don't feel weak, its just how things go sometimes. Hugs!!
October 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
I hope it ends quickly for you! Ugh...and teaching with it...I can't imagine!!!
October 28th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry! Do not feel weak. I've heard how awful HG is! I know people who have had to take time off work because they literally could not get out of bed. Take care of yourself! I've heard watered down ginger ale is something some people are able to keep down and it has some calories in it then.

Keep us posted!

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

October 28th, 2013, 02:50 PM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I suffered with HG on my last pregnancy, i was in and out of hospital 4 times before it finally passed at 24 weeks. The only thing that helped me was zofran and drips - the second time i was admitted it took 14 drips to bring be back right.
So tips - I bought myself some labsticks, urinate on one every morning to check your levels for ketones (they are very dangerous), if you get anything above a +4 you need to ring your hospital and head on in as you will need fluids asap.

Keeping a hot water bottle on your chest helps with reflux at night - trust me its the only way i could sleep in the end - oh and keep your head raised up on a few pillows so your mouth is higher than your stomach.

TRY to drink small sips of water every 15 mins - i know its hard (i would throw up almost every time i ate or drank anything) but my doctor told me that even if your sick ther eis no way your body can expel everything you have taken in, you will probably loose 75% of it but keep the rest and that 25% could keep you alive.

Here is the scary bit - im not telling you this to be horrible but i want you to be prepared because i wasnt.

Do not make the mistake in thinking this is normal morning sickness, it can be fatal if not treated and you will feel like crap for a long time. No one else will understand what you are going through so you have to take care of yourself. The months i suffered wit Hg were the worst months for me and my partner - i was tired, weak, irritable, dirty - i had no energy to wash, he tried cooking meals for me but i couldnt keep them down which made him feel unappreciated. He didnt understand how miserable i was and he just wanted me to snap out of it and be the fun English girl he fell for, It got so bad we were on the verge of breaking up. Then i got to the point where I couldnt leave the house as i was throwing up 30+ times a day so i became depressed and lonely, by 23 weeks i was at the end of my tether and seriously considering aborting. It broke my heart, i had so much guilt for even considering it and no one else understood why i was feeling that way. But then at 24 weeks i was re-admitted for fluids and that was the end of it, it went away, i went home a few days later waiting for it to start again but i was fine - it had finally passed

It was only after that i was able to enjoy my pregnancy - i still had morning sickness but after HG it was nothing I was able to go out on dates and I fixed my relationship, i reconnected with friends and family - the best part was i was finally able to fly home to England (you cant fly with HG) I got to see my mum and sisters before the birth.

The hardest part was not knowing what motherhood was like, i didnt know how wonderfull it is, how much i would love my little boy, how it was all totally worth it - I mean here i am pregnant again and once again getting the tell tale signs of early hg. I knew this could happen to me again and i still went forward trying for another baby. It will pass, you will get over it and you will have a happy healthy baby at the end and i will be here if you ever need to talk chances are i will be going through the exact same thing

...and baby number 2
October 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Don't you dare feel weak. You're growing a human being! If you need meds to stay healthy then that's what you need. I'm pretty much confined to the house these days because I can't really move without throwing up. If I HAD to go to work I'd probably be in the same shape as you. I'm thankful for being able to keep some food down but this is definitely my least favorite part of pregnancy by far. I'd gladly give birth to this baby half a dozen times if it meant I could somehow avoid this constant nausea and vomiting.

October 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do not feel weak, unfortunately its just something that happens and hopefully it will be gone by the second trimester. I hope you are able to get some rest and feel a little better. I have heard HG is one of the hardest "symptoms" to deal with. My friends cousin had it and it was super tough on her. Hang in there!!! Hopefully the medication helps! *HUGS*

October 28th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks ladies.

I had to let the cat out of the bag to key people at work earlier than planned, but thankfully they've been super supportive. My student teacher stepped up to the plate running all my classes on her own today and the only class she isn't there for I already had a guest speaker coming in so that worked out perfect. I went and laid in the nurse's office at work while I waited to leave for my doctor's appointment so it is nice that there is somewhere to rest my head if I need it during the day.

Honestly I feel less weak now that I know it isn't just in my head. I did a urine sample and that's what confirmed it for the doctor based on the ketones. Sarah, I will look into ordering my own test strips. The ketones were why the doctor ordered an IV right away.

I'm glad it's being diagnosed now and not later because when I am at all questioning things I know to just go in. I've read about how bad it can be when left unmanaged so I am not going to let that happen. When I see my doctor all that's needed is for him to send me down one floor with a nurse and they'll hook me up to IV fluids and give me a bed to take a nap on when I need it. The nurse even tucked me in with a fresh puke bag which was nice.

Sarah, I am doing what I can to get my hubby educated on it. Last night he pushed me to eat an extra bite of chicken since I had only managed half a chicken tender for dinner and that sent me over the edge. I hadn't wanted to disappoint him, but he did get to quickly see I wasn't kidding and offered to take me to the hospital right then and there.
newmommysarah and moxiemommie like this.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
October 28th, 2013, 03:38 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I'm so sorry, that sounds terrible

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
October 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Don't feel weak because other pregnant women are managing and you aren't. This is something that affects everyone differently with different levels of severity. Kate Middleton had that during her pregnancy and had to be hospitalized for it. I'm relieved to see that a doctor has finally diagnosed this so that you can start getting better treatment.

I hope you start feeling better soon!!!!!!!
October 28th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran
I had two friends with it during my 2nd pregnancy. Don't feel weak. It just happens sometimes. One of them is a midwife and she didn't cope we'll at all. I'm so sorry, but both had beautiful babies so it is worth it.
October 28th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetria View Post
What does/will the Unisom do? I thought that was a sleep med?
It is a sleep med but as a side use it is sometimes recommended for morning sickness. I've seen it mentioned a lot of times in different morning sickness discussions. Most people seem to not know why it works, just that it does offer relief for some. Something about taking it at night helps to keep the stomach calm in the morning.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
November 15th, 2013, 10:55 AM
So I ended up in the ER last night I couldn't keep fluids down for over a day and I had only been able to keep one meal of soup down in over a day. When I finally got taken in I was treated for about 4 hours and it was the sweetest doctor. Little old man walks in and sees me on my side dry heaving into a bad and says, "Yup, that tells me everything I need to know. We're going to make you feel better." I tried to explain I knew I hadn't had enough fluids but it made me so sick and he just told me to stop worrying, he knows that the liquid can make it worse sometimes and that's what he's here for. I was so ready to be judged.

2L of IV Fluids, 2 shots of Zofran, and 1 shot of Phenergran and they finally got the vomiting to stop. I was so thankful because the bile was burning the back of my throat. My test to be discharged was to see if I could drink a glass of water and I did. We got home at midnight so I took today off work. Thankfully felt good enough to get my son to school and am even sitting here drinking a big glass of water. Yay!
moxiemommie likes this.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
November 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a night! I'm so sorry you have been so sick! I'm glad that you got some IV fluids in you and meds, so you are feeling better. Take care of yourself!
moxiemommie likes this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

November 15th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im sorry you got so sick, but thankgoodness they were so understanding! Thats great you had a good ER doctor and you got the treatment/medication/iv that you needed. Im so sorry you have to deal with HG, but its great t oknow you have support! Just try to take it easy and do what you can. Hopefully it wont continue all the way through this pregnancy. Glad you are feeling a bit better!

November 15th, 2013, 12:26 PM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I havnt been around much as im in hospital right now being treated for HG it sucks ***!!! I was so dehydrated when i came in i had 4++ ketones and protein in my blood and it took 6 attempts to get a line in - my arms are bruised from the veins that blew I have had 16 IV's now and my ketones have gone but no meds to stop the puking, been in here since Tuesday and no signs of them letting me home

...and baby number 2
November 15th, 2013, 12:33 PM
((hugs)) I'm sorry dear. That sucks that they aren't giving you anything to stop the puking. I've had the ketones and protein in my urine as well. I hope they can get it under control for you. They have been having to find my veins in new places but thankfully they've been pretty good at getting the needles in.

Adopted mom to DS (16)
November 15th, 2013, 05:25 PM
chrysalis1's Avatar + Positively Pregnant! +
*hugs* I hope you feel better soon. I fainted at work and got rushed to the ER two weeks ago and they gave me three bags of IV for dehydration and referred me to a dietician for my hyperemesis gravidarum. Working with her has really helped me develop a diet to get away from the nausea and vomiting (it consists of a ton of jello haha). Now in week 11 and really a couple days before I've noticed the sickness finally receding some. I've been able to eat some meat again and other solid foods. I really hope you start to come out of it soon too! I've lost seven-eight pounds before I ended up in the ER but after working with a dietician I gained 2lb back in just 2 weeks. Things will look up soon I definitely recommend seeing a dietician who specializes in prenatal needs and h.g. if possible though!
"Mild" pcos, blessed with BFP on cycle #4 ttc
Baby Braden 5/25/2014He's finally here!

]
November 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Super Mommy
I am soo sorry! I hope you get over this quickly!! I am glad you have so much support!! (())

Mom of two TEENAGE girls, 16 and 13.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer Survivor
DX date Nov 20, 2009
Chemo date Jan. 11, 2010
Bilateral mast. March 16, 2010
Exchange tissue expanders September 28, 2010
Expecting the UNEXPECTED but very much wanted little bundle June 28, 2014
I just might be to old for this!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search