New food allergy?

Forum: **NEW** June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2013, 03:08 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm freaking out a little right now. I ate a banana and like 15 minutes later my tongue got tingly and itchy and heavy feeling. It still feels like that and it's been 30 minutes and still feels like that but hasn't gotten worse.

Is this normal? Can I develop a new allergy while pregnant? My husband has a slight allergy to bananas so now I'm imagining the baby freaking out because I ate a banana.

I've eaten bananas every day this week with no reaction until now.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
October 31st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Super Mommy
How strange...

I haven't heard of new allergies developing during pregnancy, but I don't doubt that it's possible. I'd check with your doctor to be safe.
October 31st, 2013, 04:12 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
They absolutely can and its quite common. You can also lose allergies. I developed an allergy to a bunch of fruits (apples, pears, peaches, cherries, nectarines, plums) out of the blue when I was about 23. I had the same reaction as you experienced. When I got pregnant with DD they completely disappeared and haven't reappeared. Allergies like that often come in groups. Look around on the web for banana allergies and see what other foods you might be sensitive to and be careful with them until you're sure.

ETA: At first I thought it might have been an allergy to a pesticide or something used to clean the fruit but I tried all sorts of organic varieties and even ones grown by friends so there was no possibility of contamination. Allergies are funny things.

October 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
Oh yea it is possible to suddenly develop a new food allergy, my little brother, at 25, just became allergic to some fruits! It was really bad the reaction too! No more bananas for you!
November 1st, 2013, 03:16 AM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from May ddc/ Nov 2012 pr there was a girl in the playroom that when she had her son she developed a severe allergy to honey. So anything is possible.

[/url

November 1st, 2013, 05:02 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
All 3 of my siblings and I developed an allergy just like that to cantaloupe when we were in our late 20s; didn't even know about it until we started seeing each other at kids' parties and stuff and realized none of us could eat it anymore - and we had a big garden as kids and ate a TON of it. How's that for weird?

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search