what's your Dr. say about lunch meat?

Forum: **NEW** June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you eat it or did they tell you to stay away from it?

I've heard people say their Dr. says to stay away because of the bacteria Listeria (not sure if i spelled that right). I've heard other's say their Dr's said it's fine to eat it. I've also heard to stay away from the packaged stuff at the grocery store. Only eat it from the Deli and that places like Subway etc are fine. I've also heard to stay away from it completely unless it's cooked.

My Dr. I had with my daughter said I can have it etc, stay away from the packaged stuff and if I do eat it to be sure i've kept it in the fridge at a certain temp.

My Dr. now told me I should try to avoid it but if I have to have it that most likely it will be fine but they recommend not eating it.

I look at it this way...there are much worse things women do to their bodies while pregnant (I don't do drugs, I don't drink, etc), lunch meat is not something I really worry about if I really want a sandwich.

Just curious what everyone else is doing or was told to do.
November 12th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My doctor told me to stay away from it unless it's heated (like in a panini or something). The weird thing is, I don't really eat a lot of lunchmeat anyways, but now that I can't have it, I've craved it a few times! One day I almost went out to get myself a sandwich, but then I googled it. Listeria is no joke when pregnant, although the chances are very slim. However, I've opted to stay away for the 9 months.
HopefulMommy81 likes this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

November 12th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I was told not to eat it, along with hotdogs, but then she mostly said moderation is better if I HAVE to have it, but to make sure to stay away from meats from the actual deli. There is where the most germs are. I have had a few sandwiches here and there (packaged cold cuts) but its been a few weeks, and also, I always make sure that my hotdogs are well cooked. I go through periods of time where I have a hotdog addiction.
November 12th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, this is what Ive been going by, since I discovered it with baby #1. I dont buy any packaged deli meat. If I am going to eat deli meat, it should be heated for at least 30seconds. (But I usually do it for 1-2 pending on how much you are using.) That said, I actually prefer to buy it at the deli and cook it in a pan. (I should add you can totally buy packaged meat and cook it in a pan- completely safe) Subway will also nuke it for you for as long as you ask before putting it on a sandwhich it should be done separately before they put it on the sand which. (Although im not sure if it makes a huge difference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetria View Post
I was told not to eat it, along with hotdogs, but then she mostly said moderation is better if I HAVE to have it, but to make sure to stay away from meats from the actual deli. There is where the most germs are. I have had a few sandwiches here and there (packaged cold cuts) but its been a few weeks, and also, I always make sure that my hotdogs are well cooked. I go through periods of time where I have a hotdog addiction.
Thats funny my OB told me opposite but I totally agree with moderation.

November 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Summerthyme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK so my previous OB was like...everything in moderation...if you have to eat lunch meat then you will probably be ok...etc. She told me that heating it up would be my best option but really didn't freak me out about it. I know I had lunch meat many a times during my first two pregnancies without feeling like I shouldn't.

My new OB is like HELL NO! She said it is not worth the risk. She basically made me fee like "is it worth losing your perfectly healthy baby over a turkey sandwich." Kinda made me think a little more about the risk. She said if you must you have to heat it up. She actually told me that I am better off buying my lunch meat in a package at the store and not to eat the stuff that they have at Subway and any other place where you don't know if it has been sitting out all day. She also FREAKED me out about sushi. I had just read something about how it is ok to eat sushi as long as you are at a reputable place and what not. How women in Japan still eat sushi while pregnant...etc. She said NO WAY! She said sushi is the biggest no-no! She said that the type of intestinal parasite that you get from raw fish is the most detrimental to the baby. She told me to switch to the cooked stuff for 9 months and that was an order I called my best friend and told her that I expect her in the postpartum room with sushi in hand within a few hours of delivery. Anyway...my appointment yesterday made me feel more concerned about what I eat than I have ever felt with my previous pregnancies.
November 12th, 2013, 10:12 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Ugh, lunch meat is about the only thing I can really stomach lately, so I've been eating more than ever in my life (which isn't much, since before now I never ate much at all) I haven't seen the midwife yet, so I don't know what she will say. I do feel so guilty for eating it, but I'm at such a loss. Normally I would eat baked or grilled chicken breast, even on a sandwich, over lunch meat, but even thinking about chicken makes my stomach churn

November 12th, 2013, 10:16 AM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
My midwife says moderation She doesn't want me to eat it daily or anything. But I guess she's not the type to freak out over things. Nor am I, I eat deli meat w/o heating. Ick.

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
November 12th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
Deli meat is ok if it's the cooked meat (i.e. cooked turkey slices as opposed to smoked). I am addicted to turkey subs from Mr. Sub - I'll eat an entire 12" sub in one sitting now!

A girlfriend who is also pregnant sent me this link from Mother Risk:

(ok - sorry, even though I have 10 posts, justmommies still isn't letting me post links so I have to be sneaky....)

WorldWideWeb *dot* motherisk *dot* org/prof/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=925

Apparently it is "safe" to eat pretty much anything now, so long as you "trust" your restaurant, grocery store, etc. to store and serve meats, cheeses and fishes (although high mercury fish is still a no no) in accordance with current food standards...so she is eating sushi during her pregnancy now. I am not trusting enough to take the sushi road, and luckily I don't seem to care for a lot of cheeses right now (although usually I am a total slave for cheese!) so those aren't a problem for me. But yes, deli meats should be ok - but I agree with the other ladies here, everything in moderation!

Last edited by Missymoos; November 12th, 2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typo
November 12th, 2013, 10:44 AM
trusting and believing
Seems like I crave sandwiches most when pregnant! I've been sticking with paninis so far though. I probably would go ahead and have a cold sandwich if I really can't get past the craving. I think the risk is fairly low.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
November 12th, 2013, 11:10 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Lunch and deli meats are totally ok as long as they're heated to steaming. Heated through, it kills off the bacteria, including listeria. My MW says eat away as long as it's steaming. Lucky for me, I ONLY like my turkey sandwiches heated through, so it's not change for me. I don't eat them often, either. Hotdogs are the same, fine as long as heated through to steaming. I can't stomach them right now, anyway, though. My best advice is to educate yourself and decide what you're comfortable with.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

November 12th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope this doesnt scare you guys, but I found an amazing article about listeria bacteria and pregnancy by americanpregnancy.org Listeria and Pregnancy | American Pregnancy Association

I enjoyed it and it confirmed what I already thought. This goes for salmonella as well- basically.

November 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM
amityx7's Avatar Miracle Baby Due 6/8/14
Um, never was aware or informed not to eat lunch meat during pregnancy. I eat it all the time. Guess I should stop...

Expecting Gabrielle June 8, 2014!!!

November 12th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
CHEESE?????? I never heard anything about cheese, no Dr. has ever said anything to me about Cheese, I love cheese.
November 12th, 2013, 02:21 PM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
My midwife said a freshly made sandwich from the deli is fine. I don't plan to eat it often, but if a craving hits, or work buys lunch like last Friday, I will most likely go for it.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
November 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortln View Post
CHEESE?????? I never heard anything about cheese, no Dr. has ever said anything to me about Cheese, I love cheese.
Yeah you shouldnt have soft cheeses, (unless they are heated/melted. Not sure about baked brie though.... Im amazed at how many drs do not go over this. I had to learn in my own with my first but with this one and my 2cnd Info was provided in a packet.

You can have cheddar jack mozzerella, all the "firm/hard cheeses.

November 12th, 2013, 05:10 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
My doctor never said anything, but I avoid lunchmeat (which isn't a huge stretch because I only eat turkey breast anyway). During my first pregnancy, I would have a hot Italian beef sandwich as it was heated all of the way through. Never ate any hot dogs either.

Soft Mexican cheese is a hard one to give up though!
November 12th, 2013, 06:51 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Nicholas, lunch meat sandwiches were about the ONLY thing I could eat, so whatever. With this one, it sounds disgusting. And no, I wont avoid cheese, sorry.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

November 12th, 2013, 08:51 PM
jjustice12's Avatar Super Mommy
Mine said not to unless it's heated. (all lunch meats an hot dogs) dont eat much of those anyway so wont bother me a bit

DS-Jesus (a.k.a J)-14yrs
DD-Heaven-12yrs
DD-Justice-8yrs
DD-Hope-4yrs
-8/2000 -9/2000 -7/25/2013
November 12th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Marissa's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa's Mommy
I wonder where lunchables fall in the grand scheme of things. I know they are so unhealthy but oh so good for a quick snack.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature!
November 12th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Super Mommy
My doctor just told me that fresh deli lunch meat (like boars head low sodium meats) are fine for the first 3 or 4 days and then they are potentially harmful. I told my husband I'm going to buy the meats, take them to my office for a day or two and then bring them home to him to finish the package.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search