When should I tell new employer I'm pregnant?!?!?

Forum: **NEW** June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mrsdaiwa24
  • 2 Post By angelsailor288
  • 1 Post By moxiemommie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
Regular
So I am currently looking for a new job. I left my previous job 2 months ago because I hated it from day one and had simply had enough. Well now it is time for me to start working again! I have gone on a couple of interviews and am expecting an offer by the end of this week from at least one of them. I am 14 weeks pregnant and am freaking out because I don't know if I should tell them before I accept the job.. or wait until I've started. I just don't want to get hired and then have them feel like I deceived them and am some kind of terrible liar or something. I don't feel like my being pregnant has any affect on how capable I am of doing my job... it's a receptionist position for goodness sake. BUT I know I will have to take at least a month off if not more after the baby is born in June. UGH I just don't know how to go about this the right way. I don't want to risk not getting a job if I tell them ahead of time. I need a job!!!

Someone help!
December 31st, 2013, 05:59 PM
Super Mommy
That's a tough call. I can see why you are torn. I'm not really sure what the right answer is, but I feel like you need to be honest with them. I would search for an answer for day care too so you can say to them, "I am due in June, but child care is lined up starting in July so I will be back to work as quickly as I can be." So they know you plan to return.

December 31st, 2013, 06:11 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Here's the thing......

If you tell them you're expecting, they can't NOT hire you because you're pregnant. They can however find a reason why a different candidate is "more qualified" or a "better fit" and you won't have an recourse.

Are you deceiving them if you don't tell them you're pregnant? To me, deceiving them would be if they asked you if you were pregnant and you lied. If they don't ask you and you don't tell, then you technically aren't deceiving them.

Ultimately, it's a tough decision. You want this job and you want to start off on a good foot with your employer, but at the same time, you don't want this pregnancy to be the reason why you don't get hired. Good luck with whatever decision you decide to go with.
pnutterbutter likes this.
December 31st, 2013, 06:23 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Don't tell them. You might feel like a jerk for hiding it but that's absolutely your right and at least you'll be an employed jerk. Any company that would hold it against you isn't worth working for anyway.

December 31st, 2013, 06:27 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Coming from experience, dont say anything. I was going through interviews when I was about 15 weeks pregnant with my son. I basically HAD this job, they were giving me dates for trainings, and I told them I was pregnant. I never got a phone call again. I called back a few times and nothing.

I finally got a job when I was 7 months, and obviously pregnant. My boss hired me and had NO CLUE lmao. Such a man. He pulled me aside one day and asked and then congratulated me
AtomicMama and moxiemommie like this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 31st, 2013, 07:45 PM
Marissa's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa's Mommy
This is a tough one because although they can't not hire you because of that, they can find other reasons. Although it's best to be honest with a future employer, they can't ask you during the interview even if they suspect it so you don't have to worry about lying about it.

In thinking about it, I don't even know what I would do if I was in this situation, but if I was worried I wouldn't get the job, I probably would keep it secret for now. Sometimes you just have to be selfish. If kept a secret, I definitely wouldn't tell everyone the first week after hired because then it's more like that's the reason you were hiding it. And when the time feels right, I would let my boss know first, better then them finding out from a co-worker. But you never know you could end up with an awesome boss who will be supportive of your news later on.

I hope that you are able to come up with a decision! Good luck with what you decide and KUP!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful signature!
December 31st, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I have to agree, do NOT TELL THEM. Yes, it sucks, it feels like you lied and I personally felt bad... but it cost me several jobs when I told them I was pregnant with Ryan. I couldnt even get hired at a fast food restaurant or a janitor after I told them, seriously. ( I had been a CNA before that, and begore that I had 6-7 years of caretaking experience running a horse rescue facility)- so I know it wasnt because I lacked job experience, and they all seemed interested until I spilled the beans. Its a hard lesson. Our bills backed up, we didnt have electrical for awhile, we went to food banks so we could eat. I even cooked over our fireplace using firewood brians grandma gave us ( this when we had no pg and e) Fortunately e both found jobs after ryan was born, but it was still hard times!
angelsailor288 likes this.

January 1st, 2014, 12:17 PM
Regular
Thank you everyone for your advice!! I feel a lot better knowing that some of you have gone through this too and I'm not the only one. I think I will keep it to myself for at least the first few weeks. Hopefully I don't start showing before then.. Lol I'm going to try my best to stop worrying so much!
January 2nd, 2014, 08:47 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 3 angel babies
when i started a new job while i was pregnant with Kale, i was about 6mo along but tried to hide it. when the interviewer asked me if i would need to be taking any planned leave anytime soon. i didn't want to lie to her so i said yes i was expecting a baby in about three months. that was actually no problem for her and i ended up getting the job! i have since left there lol but was releived that my pregnancy didn't have any bearing on getting or not getting.

i would say keep it honest because they appreciate that. employers may not be happy if in a few weeks your already inquiring about maternity leave. they can't legally turn you down JUST because you're pregnant anyway.

10/06/2008 - Miscarriage @ 6wks
12/08/2009 - Healthy Baby Boy
11/02/2011 - Healthy Baby Boy
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
January 2nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran
Don't tell. They cannot ask if you are pregnant. I was hired at a new job at 12 weeks and I told them the week I was hired. There was nothing they could do about it (they were ok with it) but at least I had the job and I still gave them enough notice to make sure my areas were covered on leave.

Nathaniel "Nate"
January 11th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran
I'm starting a new job on Monday and haven't mentioned it yet. I'm thinking around the 3rd trimester, I'll break the news. That gives me enough time to prove myself, but also gives them enough time to know I will be gone and accommodate it. I am a little nervous that I will lose my job over leave- since I will have been there less than a year, they are not required to hold my job and the facility I am working at is notorious for layoffs- but I am just going to take it one step at a time and hope I still have a job after baby comes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search