Baby showers!

Forum: **NEW** June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fall
  • 1 Post By alliebeecher
  • 1 Post By angelsailor288

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2014, 06:48 AM
amityx7's Avatar Miracle Baby Due 6/8/14
Are you having one? And if so, when? Are you making a registry, who are you inviting; what kinds of games will be played; food, drink, etc.? Details!

I didn't really have a baby shower with my first. I mean, I did, but it was me and about 6 girls, really small, last minute kind of thing that my ex's sister threw for me. This time, my Aunt absolutely insists that I get a real baby shower. And, honestly, it's a little bit of a relief because I don't have much for baby and any little bit helps. Not that I want a shower just to get gifts-- that's just a bonus.

I'm inviting about 15 people-- my Aunt is sending out invitations and we're doing it Sunday, March 30th. I'll be 30 weeks pregnant that day-- so not too big that I don't even want to be there. Lol. I'm not sure about games yet, I know we did the "Guess how many TP squares go around the baby belly" at my first shower, but I guess I'll have to look online for some other ideas. My Aunt wants to plan everything and me to stay out of it but I don't see why I can't help a little.

I also am thinking about making a baby registry at Babies 'r Us. That way, at least everyone knows an idea of what I may need... even if they don't get that exact item.

Expecting Gabrielle June 8, 2014!!!

February 5th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is our first--I am having 2 showers. One of the showers is going to be a couples shower. We need everything, so are pumped! We registered at Babies R Us.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

February 5th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes we are. The twins will be here sometime in May so we're looking at April. One of my friends just offered up and April works for her. She's hosting at her parents restaurant and will be doing a pasta bar that you earn your bowl to by bringing any size of diapers. We just started planning so we don't have all the details down yet.
Mel S likes this.

February 5th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I'm not sure. Zach's aunt offered to throw us one, and he's been trying to touch base with her to accept. I don't want anything fancy, since to me this shower is more about their family celebrating Zach's first baby than giving us stuff. Truth be told, we don't need tons of "stuff".

I have a registry on Amazon, more for myself than for anyone else, but I posted it on FB so that people could grab something if they wanted, or tell me how stupid my choices are, or whatever they want.

We may end up with two shower-like get togethers, because both sides of his family hate each other, so there will be no mingling of the sides.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

February 5th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Super Mommy
Yes I am having one. My 16 year old daughter is wanting me to have one so 2 of my good friends will be helping her. I Al's have another friend that wants to have a shower for me with this beta group I am assiotiated with and I would like us all to send things to a local children's cancer hospital.

My daughter wants to do a lit if games so I have looked on Pinterest and have a ton too choose from.

Mom of two TEENAGE girls, 16 and 13.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer Survivor
DX date Nov 20, 2009
Chemo date Jan. 11, 2010
Bilateral mast. March 16, 2010
Exchange tissue expanders September 28, 2010
Expecting the UNEXPECTED but very much wanted little bundle June 28, 2014
I just might be to old for this!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

February 5th, 2014, 08:01 AM
bluewren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No shower. Mainly because even though this one is a girl we still don't have a big need for stuff.

We would like to do a potluck BBQ at a park in late June after DD is born. Our ideal location is a bit of a drive but has really good features for having a party (and be closer to a lot of the guests) but we may end up doing it at the park near our house just because it'd be less of a drive for us. The only real plan so far is the fact that the invite will have a photo of DS holding a sign that says something like "Come meet my baby sister!".

February 5th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Super Mommy
I know we will be having at least one shower - but currently don't know much more then that.

As of right now I am not planning anything, I am leaving it in my family's capable hands - I really do hope they ask me for a guest list though...

Time will tell.
February 5th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im not having one this time. I didnt for Luke either, but we got tons of stuff with Ryan (although I dont have a ton.of stuff left as it wore out, but I have the important things)
I have a beautiful cherry wood crib I used for both kids, and a matching dresser that we bought with my first few pay checks. We have a bouncer, doue stroller I bought w Luke and a carseat (but I need a new cover as it got ripped in the washer.) I have a great dark wood high chair we got with Ryan... and a boppy that also needs a new cover (they sell them at target!) Then we got rid of some things and my pack n plays are very worn and such, so I just need a carseat cover, packnplay/bassinet, swing and aIm investing in a boba wrap this time. I also need z new car LOL.

Brian.and i will do a little baby shopping day also, so we can "celebrate" baby so thatsbperfectly fine with me!!

February 5th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
We are having one and it's scheduled for May 3rd although I'd love if it were sooner. Anyways, I'm grateful! We have lots to plan, and it's cohosted by my DP's brother's girlfriend (I call her my SIL) and my DP's aunt. So hopefully no drama. Lol.
We will be registering also.

February 5th, 2014, 10:49 AM
alliebeecher's Avatar Veteran
I am having one, there's no date set but I guess it will be sometime in May. My mother is hosting, which may be somewhat hectic since she's currently in the process of selling her house! But, where ever she ends up living in May will be the location of the shower.

The guest list will be very small, because I want ladies only and I have few friends and a small family. I'm inviting only six people aside from me and mom.

I don't like shower games, but I might be swayed to allow one if I can find one that isn't silly/embarrassing As for food, I think I'll ask my mom to make deviled eggs and finger sandwiches like she did for my sister's shower. Then we can order a cake and put out some chips & dip also.

There will be no theme, and I'll leave my mom in charge of the decor since I don't really care about that. She'll probably get a few balloons and a banner or something.

I already have a registry at Amazon, and I add to it all the time Oh, and I already have a shower outfit, lol. I saw the cutest maternity dress online when I was first shopping for maternity pants, so I snatched it up thinking it might be out of stock when shower time rolled around.
Mel S likes this.
February 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran
I'm having a small one in dfw and maybe a larger one in ATX. 3rd baby, but first girl. However, since we moved we are basically starting from scratch. I'm only asking for little things like clothes, hooded towels, small toys as I have already gotten a lot of the big stuff as I have found it cheap. Heaven forbid anyone in my family or dh's give a shower or even a useful gift. My first got a radio ad announcing his birth. We were very poor at the time and needed essential, not radio ads on pbs. Sorry, but it is easy to get me going about my inlaws tax deductable gifts.
February 5th, 2014, 12:41 PM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I am not sure. But I am assuming SO's friends will want to throw one. I haven't heard anything yet, but it still feels a little early. My parents are still angry that I am pregnant, so pretty sure they won't be throwing one. I don't know about my friends, it is my 2nd, but they will be over 7 years apart.

Whatever happens, I plan to have a small get together in April or May to tie dye some cloth diapers, but haven't set the date yet.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
February 6th, 2014, 07:54 AM
rachelc0's Avatar TTC a Rainbow
i've never had one. and up until two years ago, i didn't really care. i hate being the center of attention. but Oct 2012 i threw SIL (if you ever read the inlaw or venting board, you'll know we hate each other, but we did have a few months of friendship) that turned out ok. ok for the first one i've ever thrown considering i've never had one and i usually don't go.

after that, even though i never wanted a shower, i felt a little put out that no one asked if i wanted a shower. i never made my "no-shower" wishes known, so it sucked learning none of my friends really wanted to throw one for me anyway.

February 6th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is my second. Im having a shower because its a girl this time and I gave away every thing I had from my now 18 month old boy to people who needed it. So I have nothing. So I am having a small shower. Nothing to big. But I am also having a Baby-q with my best friend who is due the same time Iam. She just moved up here to my home town with her husband and doesn't really know anyone so she has no one to really invite to a shower but I want her to be able celebrate to so we are having a PREGGO day and having cake and exchanging gifts amongst our selves and having a lunch with a few family members.

February 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, no shower here. We will have a "welcome baby" bbq after he is born though.

For Nicholas we had a shower but I DID NOT want all the cutsey games and crap, and everyone was pushing it on me. Ugh. We did a typical bbq. Everyone else played games and I did not lol. No thanks! Its not me
Spottts likes this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

February 9th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Regular
This is my first baby so I'm having one on April 12th my best friend is troughing it. We still are figuring out where and what not but we know the Color scheme is Pink and Teal and the theme is Elephants. Only know that because that is babygirls theme for her nursery. :-)

Expecting my first baby in June 2014!! Excited to meet my little girl Rorie Mae!!
February 10th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
This is our first baby so we are having one. It's on April 5 and I'll be just past 31 weeks along.

One of our best friend's is planning it but she checks in with me about details because she know's I'm a bit of a control freak, lol. There are 45 women on the list so we rented a community room at the Recreation Centre that's about 5 mins from my house - it's great because there is a family swim and a public swim at the same time as the shower so the Dad's can take the older children swimming to tire them out if they are looking for an activity to do during the shower.

I am registered at Babies R Us - but most of the "big-ticket" items we already have (nursery furniture - check! Stroller and matching infant car seat - check! Highchair - check!, Co-sleeper - check! Video-monitor with separate hand-held - check!) and quite a few other things we are getting from the same friend who is throwing the shower (play matts, baby tub, vibrating chair, baby bullet, etc.)

So if people want to buy things off the registry that's Fabulous but I know most just want to buy cutesy and pretty clothes and whatnot and I am more than happy (and grateful) for anything people want to bring. Mostly I am just looking forward to seeing everyone because it's been a bit of a hibernation-type winter and we haven't done a lot of visiting or hosting...I miss all my lovely girlfriends and family!

I also have two girlfriends who are attending the shower who are also due in June but it's not their first...so I am arranging to have gift baskets for both of them there too

I also want to make little mommy/ladies grab-bags for all the ladies, was thinking of a little mini-bottle of nail polish with a cutesy nail file and maybe a Shopper Drug Mart gift card for $10 each...it'll be expensive (probably around $500 all in) but I want all the ladies who come out to have something from me to show how much I appreciate them

Just found these Ginger Peach votives at Pier 1 so I'm picking up one candle for each of the ladies on my invite list:

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)

Last edited by Missymoos; February 10th, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
February 10th, 2014, 11:01 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
No shower. I had one with Max. And DH had one before DSD. My family only does showers for first babies (I have 20 cousins, so it's completely understandable). I have no idea what his does Plus, we just had a wedding shower.

I'm happy this way It means that I get to buy the few things I need by myself and decide what I want by myself. We don't have much left from our older kids, but I have also discovered how little babies really need, especially at first. And I hate excess/clutter.

The biggest thing is, we have two cribs and a changing table. BUT right now DS uses one of the cribs as a toddler bed. And he is quickly out growing it. Plus, the changing table is his dresser. So what we REALLY need is a big boy bed and dresser for him. But even with that, we can make do for awhile.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search