maternity leave for working moms

Forum: **NEW** June 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By TeamMom2008
  • 1 Post By Wish44
  • 1 Post By Missymoos
  • 1 Post By mrsdaiwa24

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** June 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2014, 09:49 AM
rachelc0's Avatar TTC a Rainbow
how long are you planning to take?

with Kale, i took a month off BEFORE he was born, and five months after he was born. most of that was because we were waiting for daycare assistance and i couldn't go back to work and have him in daycare until that happened.

with Keegan, i took about 2.5 weeks off. yep lol that's about all i could handle being cooped up at home. i was so happy to get back to work because i love my job, my boss, his wife who is also my co worker, and the customers so it felt great to get back into the swing of things. but we couldn't put keegan in daycare until he was 6 weeks old so until that point, i worked 8-2:30p, and DH would work 3p-1a. so it was a ease back into work.

this time around, assuming everything goes simple and great like before, i'll be taking roughly 2-3 weeks off. mostly because i only have two weeks of vacation and can't really afford to miss much more work than that, and don't want to use up my sick days. my boss did say though that if there was a medical complication (like i needed a c-section), he would pay me for up to 4 weeks of maternity leave. i can take as long as i want, but i don't get paid for the entire time i'm gone, so that plays a big factor.

March 12th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Veteran
I'm a teacher and will technically be on summer break so I could start the next school year if I wanted. I think I'm probably going to take next year off though. I just can't leave my 6 week old at daycare :/ I stayed home 14 months with my son and it was perfect. My husband has been in the army until November and was always gone while my son was little. Now, he works 3-11pm so we're on opposite shifts and we still never see him. I'd love a year of reuniting our family and my boys actually getting to see their dad.
March 12th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Super Mommy
Originally... I had planned to put the baby in the day care at my son's school as early as they'd take them (school starts 8/11 so I was hoping for the start of the new school year). I adore the teacher in with the infants and I think the baby will thrive in there. I trust them completely and I know that DS will be happier at school knowing that their sibling is there too. However... The heart issue with this little one has placed us in this strange unknown area of "what next?". If this baby needs 24 hr attention, I will likely move into a room at the other end of the house (opposite DH and DS) and stay up the entire night. My mom will take DS to school this year, then she'll come back and take the day shift for us and when DH is home from work he can take a few hours. I will sleep when he's at work. This would have to last until they no longer have issues with breathing or meds, we just don't know. If they are generally healthy and don't require that kind of care (prayers please!!!), then I might be able to work from home at my house or my parents' house OR I might be able to do a few hours at the office away from the baby OR if they rest best on my chest, I might be able to baby wear them in the office until the surgery is done (but there "could be" one surgery at 2mos and definitely one at 4-6 months). This week, I asked a FB group about what to expect with Tricuspid Atresia babies and several of the parents said to expect a lengthy stay in NICU. I hadn't really anticipated that, so I have to figure out exactly how to explain this my soon-to-be 6 year old and try to wrap my head around keeping him busy this summer while I'm living in a NICU for an undetermined amount of time. (GAH!) This will definitely be a case of grandma to the rescue. It looks like I'm home with them until the surgery at 4-6 months, and then if they're thriving they can go to the day care at the school or I would have to hire a private nanny if the germs were too much for their system. It's a whole lot of wait-n-see... And I'm a Type A scheduler/planner so this is killing ME!!!

March 12th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Super Mommy
I get a year of paid mat leave - which is amazing. What I am trying to figure out now is when I want to start that time off - I would like to be home with the baby for the majority of the time, not just sitting around waiting for him to arrive.

Right now I am leaning towards using up the remainder of my vacation time and then starting Mat Leave right after....so I will likely make the end of May my last week at work.
March 12th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Super Mommy
My guess is that I will probably won't work in June much at all in the office. I will probably try to set up an office space at home, but DS is going to stay home with me this summer so I will probably spend as much time as I can in the pool with him in June before the baby is born. I really want to spend a bit of time teaching him the things he needs to know before 1st grade (like telling time). The baby's gift to their big brother is a new book every day of the summer. I found a giant stash of Magic Tree House and A-Z Mysteries so I'm going to wrap up each book individually and let him open one every day.
Wish44 and Mel S like this.

March 12th, 2014, 12:24 PM
njkatc's Avatar Kelly
I get paid for as long as I take. May 9th will probably be my last day in the office and then I'll probably go back Oct 6th so that we've got back to school under our belts before I go back. I may go back sooner than that, but it wouldn't be for full days until then. I'm only in the office 4 days a week anyway since I work from home on Wednesdays.

March 12th, 2014, 01:09 PM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
I will be taking 3 months off, but it will be unpaid. I am a sub in an inhome daycare currently, but they love me and are trying to create a part time spot for me once September rolls around. If that works out, baby will come to work with me, if not, I may end up switching to doing childcare out of my home.

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.
March 12th, 2014, 03:36 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
I get 6 weeks of Maternity at 50% pay, but my sick leave gets used first in that 6 weeks. Since I have about 7 weeks of sick leave it will all come from that. I'm a teacher though so all the post birth will be summer vacation and then I may take a week or two before school gets out and a week at the start of the year to transition.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
March 12th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran
I am hoping for three months off. Mine is unpaid because I am part time. My husband travels for work and I can't work and take care of three kids on my own while they are out of school. One of the tradoffs for me working part time is we have no full time child care and can't afford it. We have no family around and I lost most of my support system of friends when we moved.
March 13th, 2014, 05:16 AM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am taking 12 months maternity leave... I will get 18 weeks of that paid at minimum wage by the government... The rest will be unpaid... I only took 2 weeks off with my last and it didn't work for us at all... I hated it.. and swore I would never do that again... So I was pretty set on taking the whole 12 months that I was entitled to off...And I go on leave in 6 weeks!! Yay!!!

March 13th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Geez, I'm so jealous of you ladies who get a year or more off! I work for a pretty good/big company with what I thought was good benefits until I started reading some of the comments here LOL I'll be having a c-section so I'll get 8 weeks paid at 100% but taking the extra 4 weeks unpaid, I may use some of my vacation time so I don't have to have all 4 of those weeks unpaid. I'm pretty happy though, I'll be off from mid june to mid sept. I wish it could be longer though!
March 13th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, with my first Iwas unemployed when I got pregnant, fortunately I found a job when Ryan was 3 months old. With Luke I ended up taking two months before I had him. (Because I could not scrub the ceiling with bleach with a mop while standing on a step ladder without getting winded- yes seriously) Then went back after 6 weeks. I had him May 7th and was back to work by June 20th. However with Ryan I wasnt fully healed until about 7 and half weeks, so I would have had to taken off an extra two weeks.

March 13th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The plan is for me to become a SAHM once baby is born. I'm really looking forward to it, but am nervous that I may get antsy and start itching to do something outside of the house eventually. Maybe that will just mean it's time for us to have baby number 2 then!
Mel S likes this.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

March 13th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
While I am eligible for 12 months of paid mat leave, I will likely only be taking 7 months. Government Mat Leave here is 55% of your insurable salary up to a max of 514/wk...I make slightly more than double that so I'll end up taking home slightly less than 50% of my salary.

My work "tops" up my salary for 6 weeks - 8 if GingerBean is delivered by c-section - so that helps a little bit.

But, while we could do the whole year...it would still make the first part of 2015 a little uncomfortable financially and - since DH works Sun-Thurs - it would make it hard for us to do anything as a family over the summer because I would be coming back in June with no vacation time accumulated. Going to the cottage or spending an entire weekend together anywhere (i.e. visiting Grandma and Grandpa!) would be next to impossible without using up all of DH's vacation days before the Holiday season.

So yup - going back in January 2015 as of right now, unless DH finds a new position/job that pays more...it's hard to trade in the seniority he's gained at his current work though, esp. with nice solid days (7:30-3:30). Even the Sun-THurs isn't bad...that's one day a week we don't need to worry about daycare!
Mel S likes this.

Rainey Jessica born on June 4th 2014

Jan. 2012 (6 wks)
March 13th, 2014, 10:43 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm fortunate (for an American) this time around. I'm on a fellowship that will pay me regardless of where I am or what I'm doing. I'll get the whole summer off at my full stipend. I plan to do some data analysis for my dissertation here and there but I'm pretty serious about taking a good 11-12 weeks OFF. I plan to have a teaching assistantship next semester. I'll come into campus 3 days a week for the first month or two. Sprog will go to daycare on those days. DD will go to preschool full time so that I'll be more likely to get some stuff done at home with Sprog on my 2 days "off". I like to ease back in to work and I'm fortunate that grad student pay isn't linked to how many hours we work. Its the one upside to getting paid as little as we do.

March 13th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a teacher so as long as baby girl doesn't go over her due date by more than a week I won't take any time off. I'll already be on break. I could take time off at the end or start of the next year but taking leave greater than 5-10 days messes up the different pay option I'm on.

DH will be at home with baby during the day. He works afternoons, evenings and weekends. He is VERY excited!

Last edited by Spottts; March 13th, 2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: No spacing
March 15th, 2014, 05:42 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Another teacher here. Because of our incredibly late start this school year and 4 added "extreme weather days", I'll end up missing 16 school days because of the baby -- but I would have gotten 8 paid weeks anyway (6 for a regular birth, 8 for a c-section). I'll have the rest of the summer off and since Baby Boy will be 12/13 weeks old by mid-August, I feel comfortable in going back to work and not taking any more time off -- Betsy was almost 14 weeks when I returned to work, so I don't feel guilty about not taking any more time at home). We have a new principal next fall who will have new policies and I'd like to be there from the start so I don't feel out of the loop.
epsilonbeta likes this.
March 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Fortunately, I live in California so our maternity leave is better than most states. I can take off and get paid by state disability at 36 weeks, though I am hoping to be 37-38 actually. Then, I will get 6-8 (natural vs c-section) after paid disability both state and supplemental after baby is born. Then, I will take the 6 weeks of paid bonding time. So I will be off 12-14 weeks after baby is born, and 2-4 weeks before, as long as all goes OK- they've already discussed me going out early several times this pregnancy. Also, DH can get 6 weeks of paid bonding leave as well- we haven't decided how much he will take though.

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search