old fashion cloth diapers and rubber/plastic pants

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
Newbies
Hi I was wondering if anyone has used rubber/plastic pants for cloth diapering?
I know these are old school but I am on a tight budget and I was given a few to try with these terry squares.
did anyone ever have experience using the plastic or rubber pants?
And does anyone have any advice on how to get them on a kicking baby? lol
and what is the best way to wash and dry them, so they stay soft?
Has anyone ever had any experience with these?
Any advice would be great!
Thanks!
Sara
February 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
I'm going to request this moved to the main forum.

February 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
5LilMonkeys
IMO rubber pants (gerber kind) are WAY to hot. I used 1 on my last child a few times when I ran out of diapers and he almost always ended up super red and HOT!! You can get some cheap PUL covers. As for prefolds they work great (depending on the brand). Washing is pretty easy just NO NOT use fabric softener.
February 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
They also left nasty red marks on my daughters legs and waist (and she was my skinny one). You can definitely get cheap covers that will be nicer to use. Dappi makes ones that are around $4 each.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
i have never used them but you can get cheap PUL covers for around $4-5 each on diaperswappers and around here.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
February 23rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I would recommend using Dappi or Bummis pull on nylon covers if you want to go that route. Also if you look on Diaperswappers you could probably find some nicer used covers for cheap!

Or try the thirsties outlet
http://hyenacart.com/thirstiesoutlet/
February 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have them and I'm trying to get rid of them. It's really more difficult to change a poopy diaper if you have to pull the cover down. Yuck.

I really recommend getting some PUL covers.... there was a link to the Swaddlebees outlet for some cheap covers.... and I just bought a Thirsties cover off diaperswappers for $7, I think. Even getting a few PUL covers (I'd say 3-4 would be sufficient) at full price ($11-12) is a great deal!

February 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
Sorry I didn't have time to reply earlier. Busy with kids and stuff, but I wanted this to get seen before I had a chance to get to it.

Lots of people use prefolds and love them. Not many would recommend using Gerber prefolds, see this post for why. In a nutshell, they aren't very absorbant. Try DSQ-quality ones instead, like Little Lions or Green Mountain Diapers. As for plastic pants, ditto the others. I tried them at first and it just wasn't good. They are messy, stiff, and hot. You can find cheap deals on covers that are FAR better than those in our FSOT or on DiaperSwappers.

Oh yeah, and check our CD101 sticky for info on washing.
February 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
MommyTatt's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have them and use them in a pinch and used them all the time before I fell in love with wool. They are not the greatest to use. Like the other ladies said they are hot and IMO they make the diapers smell funny. And when you remove them to change the baby you tend to pull the diaper off the bum and that gets really messy with poops. You can use them and they will work but there are so many cheap better choices out there! As for washing them I always washed them with my diapers and hung them to dry.

Thanks claire1979 for my awsome siggy!
I have learned alot over the years but the best thing I have learned is I love... sloppy baby kisses, messy handed hugs, tooth paste pictures drawn for me on the mirror,that a dandylion bouquet is prettier then roses anyday and most of all I have learned there is no love like that of a child!!

February 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
I just got rid of my gerber ones! I, too, started CD'ing on a super tight budget.. so, we did use them for a while, and yah, they are not the greatest

I would def. reccomend just getting a few PUL covers w/snaps or apix (velcro) and use those instead..
February 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used plastic pants and Gerber prefolds for the first 4-5 months after my son was born. We were on a tight budget and I thought that was the only way to CD economically. The plastic pants were so yucky to use with runny poop. The plastic covers left red marks around DS waist and the legs wouldn't fit right so we'd end up with poop on his clothes a few times a day. Plus when you go to pull them off the poop would get smeared down his leg.

The other thing I found was that they were hard to wash because if you put them in the washer they kept getting torn and I'd have to go and buy new ones every few weeks. If I hand washed them the leg bands often were hard to get clean and would end up with poop crusties (sorry if TMI but thought I'd let you know). Plus I just didn't like taking the time to hand wash them and have time for them to dry.

Fortunately one of my good friends introduced me to some covers that are very economical and so much easier to use. Actually I think I have ended up saving money getting these covers because they last so long compared to the plastic pants that were always tearing and I'd have to buy new ones. I would strongly suggest that you look into getting a few (4-5 is best but you could survive with 3-4 if you washed at least every other day) covers made from PUL (it is a laminated waterproof fabric). A couple of covers that are good and economical are Bummis Super Whisper Wrap (SWW), or Thirsties wraps. If you buy them new they are about 11.00 each which is a good price but since you are looking to save money I would suggest you check out diaperswappers.com where moms sell their used diapers and covers. You can get some great deal on dipes and covers that are still in great condition!

Some of the things I loved about the PUL covers after using the plastic for several months is that you only need to get a new cover if it gets dirty, they have either velcro or snap coverings to make it easy to get on an off a squirmy baby, since they velcro around the baby you don't have to use pins to fasten the diaper which is also a big plus with a squirmy baby, you can get a much better fit around the baby's waist and legs so fewer leaks, they don't leave uncomfortable red marks on baby's skin. Plus one of the best things is that you can wash AND dry them with your prefolds! They are very durable and hold up to hot water and dryer heat well so when they get dirty just toss them in with your diapers and wash them all together.

As far as the actual prefolds go the Gerber prefolds are cheapest and I actually used them with the PUL covers until just a few months ago when I finally invested in some unbleached chinese prefolds. The Gerber prefolds are super thin and wear out so much faster than a good quality pf but they will work if you have to use them. Once again I would check out the deals on diaperswappers.com because you can get some great deals (probably close to what you'd pay for Gerber pf) on chinese prefolds which are so much softer, more absorbant, and will last much, much longer than Gerber pf.

Sorry this is so long but I just thought I'd pass on the info that I wish I had known when I started CD with plastic pants, pins, and Gerber prefolds. There really is a much easier way that is just as cheap! I was getting really sick of CD'ing after a few months of the plastic pants and getting the PUL covers made a huge difference for us.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

[
February 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Newbies
Quote:
I used plastic pants and Gerber prefolds for the first 4-5 months after my son was born. We were on a tight budget and I thought that was the only way to CD economically. The plastic pants were so yucky to use with runny poop. The plastic covers left red marks around DS waist and the legs wouldn't fit right so we'd end up with poop on his clothes a few times a day. Plus when you go to pull them off the poop would get smeared down his leg.

The other thing I found was that they were hard to wash because if you put them in the washer they kept getting torn and I'd have to go and buy new ones every few weeks. If I hand washed them the leg bands often were hard to get clean and would end up with poop crusties (sorry if TMI but thought I'd let you know). Plus I just didn't like taking the time to hand wash them and have time for them to dry.

Fortunately one of my good friends introduced me to some covers that are very economical and so much easier to use. Actually I think I have ended up saving money getting these covers because they last so long compared to the plastic pants that were always tearing and I'd have to buy new ones. I would strongly suggest that you look into getting a few (4-5 is best but you could survive with 3-4 if you washed at least every other day) covers made from PUL (it is a laminated waterproof fabric). A couple of covers that are good and economical are Bummis Super Whisper Wrap (SWW), or Thirsties wraps. If you buy them new they are about 11.00 each which is a good price but since you are looking to save money I would suggest you check out diaperswappers.com where moms sell their used diapers and covers. You can get some great deal on dipes and covers that are still in great condition!

Some of the things I loved about the PUL covers after using the plastic for several months is that you only need to get a new cover if it gets dirty, they have either velcro or snap coverings to make it easy to get on an off a squirmy baby, since they velcro around the baby you don't have to use pins to fasten the diaper which is also a big plus with a squirmy baby, you can get a much better fit around the baby's waist and legs so fewer leaks, they don't leave uncomfortable red marks on baby's skin. Plus one of the best things is that you can wash AND dry them with your prefolds! They are very durable and hold up to hot water and dryer heat well so when they get dirty just toss them in with your diapers and wash them all together.

As far as the actual prefolds go the Gerber prefolds are cheapest and I actually used them with the PUL covers until just a few months ago when I finally invested in some unbleached chinese prefolds. The Gerber prefolds are super thin and wear out so much faster than a good quality pf but they will work if you have to use them. Once again I would check out the deals on diaperswappers.com because you can get some great deals (probably close to what you'd pay for Gerber pf) on chinese prefolds which are so much softer, more absorbant, and will last much, much longer than Gerber pf.

Sorry this is so long but I just thought I'd pass on the info that I wish I had known when I started CD with plastic pants, pins, and Gerber prefolds. There really is a much easier way that is just as cheap! I was getting really sick of CD'ing after a few months of the plastic pants and getting the PUL covers made a huge difference for us.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.[/b]
Hi Thanks for the replies!
Im very new to the cloth diapering thing, I was told that using the rubber pants were a easy and economical way to cloth diaper, I was given some prefolds and the plastic pants work great so far, no diaper rashes. They are just hard to get on my little guy! lol
I know there are many new ways of doing cloth clovers etc.. I find the plastic/rubber pants do the trick.
I am curious to know how many of you moms have used these kind of pants?
if so, what was your routine?
Thanks!
Sara

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search