The BTDT Cloth Diapered a Newborn Thread

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2010, 10:53 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I'd like to add a thread specifically about CDing a newborn to the Cloth 101 sticky... or even sticky it at the top of the board...so...

Could everyone who *HAS cloth diapered a newborn share their experiences here? What and how many were in your stash before baby came, what you actually loved to use with baby, what you didn't, how many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared, how did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium, circumcision if baby had one, how often baby needed changing in the first few weeks, how big baby was and what fit and didn't, whether or not stash paid for itself, whatever you can think of that someone considering cloth diapering a newborn might benefit from reading.

A pic would be nice too if you've got one, but just to keep the thread fast loading, 1 pic only please - if you have more, feel free to make a thread in the Cuties in Cloth subforum, or add to our Newborns in Fluff thread, and post a link

*I would like to ask that only those who HAVE cloth diapered a newborn respond, NOT those who are expecting or currently CDing their newborn - you can add your experiences later on, once you've graduated to the next size Just to keep it truly BTDT - thanks!

Oh, and since this thread is intended for information, not conversation, could I ask everyone to not ask questions or comment in the thread? Thanks muchly!
fromGirltoMommy likes this.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Last edited by picklesmama; October 1st, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
August 12th, 2010, 04:13 AM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What and how many were in your stash before baby came. i only had 3 packs of prefolds and 2 pairs of gerber pull on pants,oh and i made a few contoured ones but no elastic, what you actually loved to use with baby thats all i had in the begining,i didnt mind it though, what you didn't i didnt like using the gerber pants on her so she went without a cover unless we were gonna be out of the house for a bit., how many you actually used or needed vs what you had preparedi think i ended up needing one more pack of 12 so no biggy, how did it go with the umbililcal cordit was ok,i had serged alot of my prefolds down to fit her better so they wouldnt swallow her whole and even did a little dip on some just for the cord, meconiumnot a problem, circumcision if baby had oneN/A, how often baby needed changing in the first few weeksoh man she was a poop at every meal kinda baby so ALOT..she would nurse 10-18 times a day and a poop at every one of those not counting the pees, how big baby was 7lbs 12oz and what fit and didn't those are all i had(with her goin constantly theres no way we could have afforded anything else..lol), whether or not stash paid for itselfOH YEAH!!! real quick like i think i paid like $12 a pack so that $48 and im still using the same prefolds today,the smaller ones i use as inserts.shes 15 months now soo bunches of moolah saved!!!, whatever you can think of that someone considering cloth diapering a newborn might benefit from reading. my opinion is that they pee so little (its often but not alot in quantity) and poop seems like constantly,not to mention they grow sooo very quickly,i wouldnt want to invest a lot into a NB stash,yeah theyre cute,but dang theyre high!...oh and SNAPPI's i didnt discover the snappi until much later but it woulda been great then cuz babe is so little they wouldnt be tryin to pull it off like she does now.

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002

Last edited by wclark602002; August 12th, 2010 at 04:23 AM.
August 12th, 2010, 04:32 AM
PreciousBunz's Avatar Super Mommy
Here is my experience....

My dd was born , 9lbs 11oz. I had purchased a TON of BG's OS 3.0's... I think I had 24 of the BG's and then I purchased 18 of the Fuzzi Bunz Small AND 18 Size med. I was stocked!! Ready to cd.

When she was born we put a BG OS on her. It was very bulky but did the job. I NEVER had any leaks with them. I tried using the FB , size small but they leaked. I was really sad because I really loved the colors of the FB. I wanted them to fit her so badly.

As we continued, I was always grabbing the BG's...I would try the FB"s but I realized that they were NOT going to fit my dd. They always leaked from around the legs. Not wicking but actually leaking because they didn't fit her thighs. I'm not sure why...she had huge thighs. Oh well...I sold all the size small FB's and really regretted buying so many. I kept the Mediums in the hope that one day , they would fit her.

As I was using the BG's, they started looking horrible. The Aplix started losing this ability to adhere...it was getting all pilly, and curly. The fold over tabs weren't working very well and was causing a diaper chain. I was so dissapointed because a OS should last but the Aplix was horrible. I emailed Cotton Babies and they replaced ALL the outter shells. I was thrilled because they made it sound like they had a better Aplix now.

3 Months later I was in the same boat. I was sooooo upset. All that money and these diapers were looking horrible. When I emailed the company again, there was nothing they could do because It had been over a year since my purchase...THEN they told me that they had changed their washing instructions. Oh great...you think they told me this? NOPE!!!

At that point I started to look into other options and I tried covers and prefolds. I sold me BG's for a very discounted price and tried my FB Mediums. These diapers were like NEW and they NEVER fit my dd. For some reason...I have no idea. I really wanted them to work. Oh well...it wasn't meant to be. I can't say anything bad about FB's...the fit is not their fault.

Anywho...

I started using the covers and prefolds and loved them. I also started looking into making my own..which was by accident. I became intrigued with all my options as I made my own.

I continued to make my own...and started my own business because I wanted a better quality diaper at a better price.

Anywho....

For NB's, I would say that if you're going to go with a OS...be prepared because they will be bulky. If you have small or even average sized babies, you may want to use a sized diaper for the first few months and then put them into the os dipes.

I always recommend nb covers and prefolds for size nb. It's the cheapest way to start cd'ing and another thing to consider that many mama's don't....

Some babies have a sensitivity to polyester materials. ALL POCKETS, AIO's and AI2's are made with a polyester inner material. When babies are born, you really have no way of knowing how sensitive their skin will be. With cotton prefolds, you don't need to worry.

Another benefit of the cotton prefolds...IF your little one is partial to rashes or yeast rashes, you can use creams for the. Prefolds can take many strippings...you can even use a bit of bleach and rinse, rinse, rinse. With AI2's, pockets and AIO's, you can't use any creams or lotions.

I'm actually making my stash for this next baby.
Keep in mind that I wash daily. 18 will give me plenty for one day or more.

I'm planning on having 18 size small NB diapers but I'll also have 4 covers and 18 prefolds , just in case.

I'm also planning on making 18 size small diapers...and again 4-6 covers with prefolds...just in case

24 size medium diapers. At this point I should know what pattern fits my new baby best and will decide if I want or need prefolds.

Another option to consider is using the pocket diapers as covers..you can just use the prefolds during times of rashes, etc.

One more thing to consider (this is something i've experienced and have seen it ALOT with other mama's)

Last bit of info to consider:

When deciding on using a OS diaper, one thing to consider is how your babies needs will change in the future.

AIO's give you less options...You can't take out the inners and I never feel like their getting clean. They also take longer in the dryer. If you want to use these with a prefold due to a rash , you can't...it'll be too bulky. IMHO.

Pockets are the next best thing but here is a problem that i've experienced and have seen it many times....

When the babies are born, they usually work great...the inner wicking material is a great stay-dry liner. As the baby gets older and starts to hold their urine for longer periods and start urinating more, the mama's are experiencing leaking. It usually starts all of a sudden and really stumps that mama's. This happens because the inner polyester , wicking material does NOT wick the moisture through quick enough. The babies' become what I call, "power Pee'ers" and the stream is too hard and quick. At that point I tell the moms to put the absorbant part on top against the baby's skin. Providing that they aren't using Microfiber terry. That usually solves the problem. So keep in mind that a OS diaper will probably NOT last you through to PL.

I like AI2's, which you lay your insert right inside the diaper, usually I make them as trifolds. great absorbency and easy to wash and dry.

Ok so for nb's, I say Covers and prefolds...24 prefolds (Washing every two days) and 4-6 covers.

If you want to purchase AIO's, I would say to buy sized ones...and only use these for the NB size.

Because I make my own, it's cheap for me...so I'm planning on making 18 AI2's for my NB. If I had to purchase them, it'd be covers and prefolds.
Although I make fancy minky diapers...I would never use or purchase these for the size NB or small sizes..LOL I make solid colored AI2's and then when I'm making the size medium stash, I'll use the fancier materials...the reasoning is that they're usually in size medium the longest...why spend the money on a diaper that they won't be using that long. My dd went into a size medium around 6 months and just started on size large at almost two. So she was in size medium over a year a half.

Ok I typed alot..I'm not even sure if I make sense...LOL I'll edit it.
nina9809 likes this.

Last edited by PreciousBunz; August 12th, 2010 at 04:40 AM.
August 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
szczepanski's Avatar nakmaster
In my newborn stash I had -

24 GMD Oranges (prefolds)
6 Thirsties Size 1 Duo Covers
2 Nanas Bottoms size Small
1 XS Fuzzibunz
4 BumGenius AIOs size Small
3 Swaddlebees NB Fitteds
1 Size 1 Duo Diaper
This was the perfect amount to wash every other day - we were in our last diaper when it came to wash time though. We LOVED the prefolds and covers - it is super easy to do and they just go SO much, prefolds are cheap and easy to wash. I'm glad I got the smaller prefolds as well - even if you are CDing to save money, you can use the Oranges for so many other things!!

We did not CD in the hospital and he was done with his meconium by the first day - everything I had read said that all you had to do was wash it like normal for that though. You could even use fleece liners if you wanted.

We didn't circ so I have no advice for that.

Changing was every time he nursed. Whenever it went in, poop came out! I also did the mid nursing diaper change to wake him up. And those lovely times where you get them all swaddled up at 3 am and hear "PFFFT" and wonder...OMG...fart or poop...FART OR POOP!!! So DEFINITELY at least 12 times a day. And then there are time times they get a fresh prefold under them and immediately poop or pee.

We didn't do anything to his umbilical cord and it fell off within a week. Duos and the Oranges fit right under it.

Nolan was born at 7.14 and 21 inches and his legs were SUPER skinny so it took a good while for the fitteds and the AIOs/pockets to fit his skinny legs. I want to say 2 weeks. Duos were awesome because they have leg gussets (which is great for poo trying to make an escape) so they allow for a more forgiving fit - they can get snug on the legs well before you expect them to. The Pockets and AIOs REALLY fit well at 10 lbs and we were even able to start using our BumGenius 3.0's (in fact, that was how I knew he was 10 lbs before his 1 month pedi appointment).

Things I would have done different -
This is really dependent on baby. Nolan was a super fast grower - he was over 10 lbs and 23 inches by 1 month old and has continue that growth so we are blowing through sizes still. I am thankful I got a no-frills newborn stash because it would have made me SO SAD to use only a few pretty fitteds/diapers for a month before we needed smalls!!!

So for the next baby I will do this -

36 GMD Oranges
6 Size 1 Duo Covers
4 XS Fuzzibunz Pockets
5 Size 1 Duo Diapers

Done. Keep it super simple and don't try to try everything with a newborn. They just grow fast - by 1 month, we were using Infant sized prefolds, Duos, BG 3.0's and BG Smalls.

I also want to add that Fuzzibunz One Size WORKED but were SUPER bulky. Pretty much anything OS is going to be bulky - until Nolan was 2 months old (14lbs) most of his One Size stuff was REALLY bulky! Just something to keep in mind.

GMD Prefold with a Duo Cover at I think I week old.

August 12th, 2010, 07:03 AM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lacey's newborn diaper stash photo:

What and how many were in your stash before baby came Approximately 12 NB prefolds, 12 fitteds (homemade and kissaluvs), 12 AOI (homemade and BG size XS), we also had a quite a few covers because I tried to sew them myself.

What you actually loved to use with baby Any AOI - they were quick and easy for everyone to use - a great way to start with CDs (later I did move on to pockets because the AOIs took so long to dry).

What you didn't Kissaluvs - after the first washing they got "crunchy". They were also super bulky compared to my homemade fitteds.

How many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared I would say I needed most of the stash with the exception of the prefolds - we really didn't use them much but they were great for burp rags and extras when washing the others.

How did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium, circumcision if baby had one No issues with any of the above. Lacey was in 'sposies for 3 days as the hospital, we started CD on day 4.

How often baby needed changing in the first few weeks I would say that we changed her every other hour or so when she nursed.

How big baby was and what fit and didn't Lacey was 8lbs 3oz when born and grew out of this stash in about 3 weeks! (And I was NOT prepared with the next size up!) I would go straight to the size small if buying again because it wasn't worth the investment for the XSs.

Whether or not stash paid for itself In the long run yes - however there is no way she was in her NB diapers long enough that it made the time and effort (of sewing so many) worthwhile. It does help however that my SIL borrowed some for her baby and we have #2 on the way... so if you consider that, then it probably does pay for itself.

August 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee

I've cloth diapered 2.5 newborns. I say half because Courtney was too tiny to fit any of the diapers I had, so it was 2 weeks before we could use cloth. I was a total newbie to cloth diapers then and didn't realize - plus there weren't as many options for newborns at that time.

Nola was 8lbs 10oz at birth. We mostly used kissaluvs size 0, homemade prefolds, and TKC pockets. We had a few others like small fuzzibunz (way too big), swaddlebees (good fit), and rumpsters (good fit, no long made I think). I found myself liking most everything I had for her. There was very little I didn't use/like. Most of the diapers we had either fit under the belly button or could be folded down to be out of the way. No problems with the meconium staining - didn't use any liners or special washing.

Kya (7lbs 15oz) we mostly used pockets/AIOs that I made (TKCs) and prefolds. I REALLY REALLY liked preemie prefolds with her. She wore them for about 3 months - I added snaps to the corners so I didn't have to deal with the snappi. She had a "leaky" cord and after it fell off it oozed for several more weeks, so we had a bit of trouble with that. I mostly just put a bit of gauze over her belly button to keep it from getting everywhere. Again - no meconium issues.

All of my kids in the newborn stage used about 8 diapers a day. We didn't have a lot of poopy diapers - 1-2 a day for the first week or so, then 1-2 times every few days after that.

I haven't ever used cloth diapers in the hospital. Courtney was my only hospital birth and nothing we had fit her when she was born.

I under-stashed with all of them (out of pure laziness ) so I only had about a dozen newborn diapers to start with but with Kya I also had a dozen preemie prefolds.

Kya is still wearing smalls (almost 9 months) but BARELY. She started wearing mediums around 6 months old. Courtney moved out of smalls at about a year old. Nola moved out of smalls around 5-6 months.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What and how many were in your stash before baby came? I didn't cloth diaper Logan as a newborn, but for Graysen I had 12 Newborn prefolds, 5 Kissaluvs 0’s, 2 Thirsties fitteds XS, 2 WAHM fitteds 3 Thirsties AIO XS, 1 BumGenius bamboo fitted XS, 10 Thirsties covers XS and 1 Bummis cover size small.

What you actually loved to use with baby I loved how the fitted diapers (Kissaluvs, Thirsties, BG) fit, but I also really loved the prefolds and covers. I used the AIO's as night time diapers just to make it easier for me.

How many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared I used everything I listed above. I also purchased a couple of FuzziBunz XS, but they did not fit her well so I sold them.

How did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium The Kissaluvs were nice because they folded down for the umbilical cord. We just folded the prefolds down for the cord. We used disposable liners while she was still passing the meconium.

How often baby needed changing in the first few weeksI would say that I changed her every couple of hours for the first few weeks since that is how often she was pooping.

How big baby was and what fit and didn't She was 6lbs 6oz and all the diapers I listed above fit her very well.

Whether or not stash paid for itself The stash totally paid for itself, especially since I bought the Kissaluvs and most of the covers second hand.

Whatever you can think of that someone considering cloth diapering a newborn might benefit from reading I think it's best to have the basics (prefolds and covers) and a couple of other different things and then see what you like best and what fits your baby best. My first born was over 8lbs so we were expecting another baby around that weight. Our daughter was born early and weighed 2lbs less than her brother did so if I had skipped buying the newborn/XS sizes, we probably wouldn't have had anything that would have fit her.

August 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've Cd two newborns (the first from 2 weeks old and the second from birth).
I'll just talk about DS2 since it was more recent.

How many?: I had about 4+ dozen diapers composed of 18 GMD orange prefolds, 12 preemie prefolds, 4 PB&E preflats, 15 fitteds, 6 BG xs AIOs. I hated prefolds with DS1, but they were my favorite for DS2. I had bought the preemie PFs to use after his circ at 8 days old, but they were too small (He was 7lb 14 oz at birth and well over 8lbs by one week) I just ended up covering his goods with guaze and using regular diapers. It worked fine. I also loved the ease of the AIOs/fitteds. I think that everyone should have "easy diapers" in their stash (at least for those middle-of-the-night changes).
I definitely had more diapers than I NEEDED but it was great having them. It meant that I could go THAT much longer between washes, which is a big deal when immediately post-partum.
Meconium: My diapers didn't stain at all from the meconium, nor was it hard to wash out.
umbilical cord: The BG XS AIOs did get really close to the cord and sometimes rub a little so I would fold the top down just a bit. This worked fine.
Frequency of changes: We typically went through 10-12 diapers per day those first few weeks.
Did the stash pay for itself? I probably spent about $500 on my NB CD stash (no, you DON'T have to spend that much). I recouped about 2/3 of that so sure. I didn't try to sell prefolds so if I take them out of the equation I recouped more than that.
Other stuff:
-Remember, NB diapers are used for such a short period of time that their resale value is high. I used that money to buy a small stash, which I recently sold to fund most of my medium/OS stash.
-Unless your baby is 10lbs or so, OS diapers aren't going to fit well right from birth. In fact, even if you have a larger baby you'll probably have to do some adjusting of the diaper to get it to sit under the umbilical cord.
-Yes, you CAN get a cheap stash for the NB period (or the entire CDing period for that matter). Prefolds work great for NBs. There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it's no big deal. That said, I still recommend getting a few different types of diapers because you never know what you'll like once the baby arrives. Try me packages are great.
-Here are a few links to help you get started:
Green Mountain Diapers: Package Deals
Jillian's Drawers
Newborn Package

August 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Generally Crispy
I've cloth diapered twins and a singleton. When we planned our baby (the twins) we were financially doing well. It wasnt because of finances but as their birth approached I lost my job and disposables were not an option. I had a box of newborn dispisables and used those until they were gone, then it was all cloth from then on. I had a mixed lot of stuff. I really liked aio at first but it was hard to get them really clean. I never did anything for the belly button. Just frequent changes to keep them dry. The first week in cloth was the hardest for me. Poop made me want to throw up. I eventually started using strictly pocket diapers and im happier with the choice. I never worry about interor stains. I only care what the outside of the diaper looks like. I use thin cotton liners, it helps a lot. I also wasnt my inserts and diapers separately it makes it easier (I have a 4 month old and 15 month old twins still in diapers).
August 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
What and how many were in your stash before baby came? Before she arrived I had 12 KL0s, 24 preemie LL prefolds, 2 WAHM AIOS, 6 XS WAHM Pockets, 3 Thirsties Duos size 1, 2 XS Thirsties, 1 Bummis super snap and 2 nb prorap covers. Maybe some other things I'm forgetting but that's most of it.

What you actually loved to use with baby I ended up selling almost everything in favor of more fitteds. My nb stash that I packed away for future babies consisted of 18 KL0s and about 2 dozen mutts in nb and babyshape mediums. I HATED everything else. The AIOs leaked and took forever to dry, the pockets were impossible to stuff and leaked, the preemie prefolds were about as absorbent as a sheet of paper - yuck! I also didn't care for the duos. The PUL was thinner than the sized thirsties and my dd got a burn on her thigh from one of the gussetts. The next baby will be exclusively in proraps bc they were my favorite cover for a nb!

How many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared For a few days I was using pretty much only my dozen KL0s and that necessitated washing every day and I still had to use some of the AIOs or pockets while waiting for the dryer to finish. My stash ended up being about 40 or so diapers - 24 of which I really really loved (the mutts!). I washed maybe every third day.

How did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium All of my nb fitteds had an umbilical snap down which is good bc her stump didn't fall off for a full two weeks - almost three. I was in the hospital for 4 days so she was done with meconium by the time we got home and started using cloth.

How often baby needed changing in the first few weeks Every 2 hours during the day and every 4 at night. Plus a few for those times that she pooped in the new diaper before I had even really finished snapping it

How big baby was and what fit and didn't 7 lbs 2 oz at birth, about 6.5 lbs when we started CD'ing on day 4. She fit in her newborn stash until she was about 3 months old so we got some good use out of them!

Whether or not stash paid for itself Well, it might have if I hadn't wasted so much money in the beginning. I got suckered into a LOT of bad FSOT deals and WAHM stuff that was crap. The diapers I really liked and ended up keeping ran me about 400$ for everything - fitteds, covers, and fab velour doublers. That was for 3 months of diapering so I would say I probably broke even with what my friends spent on sposies for the first 3 months and I saved them all for our next baby. They are all in perfect condition and look like they've never been worn so I expect they will last us at least 2 more babies - hopefully 3.

Whatever you can think of that someone considering cloth diapering a newborn might benefit from reading
Preemie prefolds SUCK and infant sized prefolds are huge on a nb. Definitely spring for the GMD oranges. And remember that prefolds usually have a resale value that is equal to their NIP price so you are really only out the shipping when all is said and done. So you could have a really nice set of 36 GMD orange prefolds and sell them when you're done. The whole thing will cost you about 15$ for shipping - which is WAY cheaper than sposies! Even once you had in the cost of covers, snappies, and wipes - it's still much cheaper!

Also my daughter had a horrible sensitivity to all stay-dry fabrics, so if I had it to do over again I would start with just prefolds and covers and then add slowly instead of starting with a 200$ stash that ended up being mostly worthless

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
August 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
*bump* so this thread doesnt get lost!

June 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
I'm bumping this thread so anyone who would like to can add on to it. I know we had quite a few new CDing Moms right now.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
June 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
What and how many were in your stash before baby came: My newborn stash was 10 Lil Joeys and a few WAHM fitteds and some Kissaluv NB fitteds. I had to wash every night, but he was into OS diapers by the time he was a week old, so it never got "old." Before he was born, I also had a really mixed stash of OS diapers and a dozen small FuzziBunz.
what you actually loved to use with baby, what you didn't: I LOVED the Lil Joey's because of the umbilical cord snap. Once his cord fell off, he was able to fit into the small FBs and the OS diapers (BGs and RaRs, mostly), so I stopped using the Lil Joeys.
how many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared: My newborn stash was so small that I needed everything I had. Honestly, for ME, I wouldn't have changed it. Had DS been smaller, though, and been in NBs or smalls longer, I would have wanted probably twice the number of NB diapers (at least 24, I would say). Washing daily was fine for a week, but I think much longer would have been too much. Once he got into smalls and OS diapers, I had a really big variation, mostly used. I knew I was clueless, so I bought a lot of different diapers and got to try them out. Once I found what I liked, I bought more of that and sold what I didn't like. It ended up working out pretty well.
how did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium, circumcision if baby had one: As I said, I loved the Lil Joey's because of the umbilical snap down, so that was no problem. I also never had an issue with the meconium, and my Lil Joey's never had any stains. Even the circumcision wasn't an issue. They hospital game be these big gauze pads, so I used those to line the diapers with.

how often baby needed changing in the first few weeks: Every two hours.
how big baby was and what fit and didn't: 8 lbs 12 oz at birth, and he grew really quickly (he doubled his birth weight by 6 weeks). The Lil Joeys really only fit him for a week. The small FBs didn't fit for long either, but I got a great deal on them and was able to sell them once I was done. I never really got many medium diapers, as I figured I would use more OS diapers, and I'm glad I didn't because he went from small to large. Once he fit into larges, I bought more sized diapers, hoping he won't grow out of them
whether or not stash paid for itself: The NB stash was so small, even in such a short time I think it paid for itself. The rest of his stash...I'm not sure? If I don't buy anymore it may by the time he PLs, but the odds that I won't buy any more diapers is pretty slim.
whatever you can think of that someone considering cloth diapering a newborn might benefit from reading: Know that all babies/families are different. What worked for me may not work for you. I had a big, fast growing baby, so my experience has been very different than my friend whose daughter is 8 months and still fits into small diapers. I'm glad my initial stash was so varied, but it did mean I had to sell of what I didn't like. However, I felt safer than investing a lot into one system and then finding out it didn't really work for me.

June 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM
provosto's Avatar Mommy to Arden!
What and how many were in your stash before baby came:
24 newborn/infant prefolds and 3 Thirsties XS were specifically newborn and I had some other OS and smaller diapers as well.

What you actually loved to use with baby:
Prefolds and covers were definitely the way to go. The Thirsties Duo Size 1 fits about the same as a Thirsties XS at the smallest setting and I wish I would have known that then!

What you didn't: n/a

How many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared:
I wish I would have had about 36 or so prefolds instead of only 24. I was told 24 if you wanted to wash every other day but I was washing every day just so we would have diapers to use while the others were washing. It was doable but my husband did a lot of diaper laundry those first weeks because I was always feeding the baby!

How did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium, circumcision if baby had one:
Her umbilical cord fell off within 3 days so it went fine. The Thirsties XS have an umbilical cord cut out and it seemed to work just fine. She was in disposables for the first 36 hours of her life in the hospital and I don't remember meconium lasting that long for us so no issues there either. No circumcision experience either.

How often baby needed changing in the first few weeks:
We changed at least 15-20 diapers a day probably. She did not like to be wet at all those first few weeks so I was up changing her at least 4 times a night and about every hour she was awake.

How big baby was and what fit and didn't:
She was 8lbs2oz at birth and her OS diapers (BG 4.0) fit her very nicely when we first tried them on at just less than 2 weeks of age. They probably would have fit her from the beginning if we had tried.

Whether or not stash paid for itself:
I definitely feel it did, especially how often we changed her. She fit into her newborn stuff for a long time and she's on the high end of height/weight. Now I use the infant prefolds for stuffing our pockets so they go even farther!
June 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What and how many were in your stash before baby came? We didn't plan to cloth diaper until she could fit in our small GMD prefolds...but it was so easy that we just decided to go ahead and do it! We had bought some used newborn prefolds (that we planned to use for burp clothes!), a few XS thirsties pockets, one thirsties duo size 1 (and a bunch thirsties small covers)

What you actually loved to use with baby The thirsties pockets were awesome! So easy to use. We saved them for nighttime changes for the most part cause it was so much easier than a prefold in the middle of the night. During the day we used the newborn prefolds and the thisties dup cover (and sometimes the smalls when the duo was dirty)

How many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared We used them all

How did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium meconium had passed since we started after we were home from the hospital. cord didn't cause problems.

How often baby needed changing in the first few weeks all the time! (every 2 hours during day, everytime she woke during the night)

How big baby was and what fit and didn't 8.5 lbs. The thirsties duo fit much better than the thirsties size small.

Whether or not stash paid for itself yes! Especially since we didn't plan to use cloth for a newborn - we didn't really buy anything specifically for that age. I think you can easily go way overboard on a newborn stash. They are adorable, but (like newborn clothes) only fit for a tiny amount of time. We will be using all that we had again for this baby.

Whatever you can think of that someone considering cloth diapering a newborn might benefit from reading buy used for newborns if you can. We got a new main stash so that it could be used for more than one kid easily, but they are newborns for such a short period. Invest in your main stash.

dd Oct 2006, dd Nov 2007, dd June, 2010, and
DS due Sept 6th, 2011 YAY!!

June 21st, 2011, 07:43 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What and how many were in your stash before baby came 21 Kissaluvs size 0/NB and a handful (6?) of Bummis SuperBrites.

what you actually loved to use with baby, what you didn't, how many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared, Only used these for a couple of weeks as DS was a big baby (8lbs 5 oz at birth). Didn't love them. 21 was plenty though, as were the 6-7 covers. The Kissa's didn't leak poop so I could use only 2-3 covers a day and was fine.

How did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium, circumcision if baby had one, The Kissa's were great with the cord as they fold down. The covers not so much, so we went coverless as much as possible. Meconuim happened at the hospital and was in a sposie, no circ here.

how often baby needed changing in the first few weeks, All the time. ABout 12 diapers a day or so, so I had about 2 days worth. FItteds wash so easy though that it wasn't a problem

how big baby was and what fit and didn't, This was my biggest problem. I did NOT expect the big baby I had and was not really prepared with the next size up. He grew out of the NB stuff almost right away. At about 4 weeks old he was already 12 lbs and I was scrambling for diapers. I moved into pockets, mostly all OS, and prefolds and went directly to size MEDIUM covers, which are still fitting him at 12 months old, so that was a good investment.

whether or not stash paid for itself,
Probably not for me since it was barely used, however, I have lent it out and it is being used by others, so someone is saving!

whatever you can think of that someone considering cloth diapering a newborn might benefit from reading. If this is your first time cding, know that the newborn stage is NOT how it will always be. You will not have to change them so often as they get older, and you'll have less poop, and less washing, and more fun in the future. Keep that in mind and don't get discouraged!

September 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
*bumping this up*

September 20th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What and how many were in your stash before baby came?2 doz GMD nb/orange edge prefolds, 2 BSWWs, 1 bummis SB, 3 thirsties duo size 1, 1 xsmall thirsties cover. Snappis, pins. 1 doz flats. 4 doz wipes

What you actually loved to use with baby prefolds, and the sized thirsties cover, and the super brite. We used the SWW a lot but I didn't like how rough they were.

How many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared ended up getting another dozen orange edge. And some wool.

How did it go with the umbililcal cord, meconium it was a few days before I started changing dipes, the grandparents used freebie sposies thru the meconium and cord falling off, which took just five days.

How often baby needed changing in the first few weeks often every hour. She would cry when she wet. She went longer when she slept. Rarely over 2 hrs.

How big baby was and what fit and didn't 8 1/2 lbs, the sized NB stuff fit well, didn't like the duos fit until later

Whether or not stash paid for itself probably broke even, but I am saving it for the next one too

Whatever you can think of that someone considering cloth diapering a newborn might benefit from reading
SERIOUSLY..... Prefolds are awesome. Practice your jellyroll and prep your prefolds and you are good to go! You don't need a ton of covers with a good snappied jellyroll, it holds runny poo extremely well. Don't be afraid. It is quite easy once you are just doing it.

November 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM
bethysfirst1's Avatar Loving Kate
Thank you so much for this thread. I'm a first time mom (due April 4th, 2012). I am the first person I know that is going cloth. People think I'm crazy, but I really think it will be better for me and my baby girl. I started a collection when I first found out. Most of these I got dirt cheap (most not even used!) from craigslist. I'm just now sure if I have a good range for a growing baby. I think I'm okay for newborn, but that is such a short stage. I feel like my fuzzibunz are so big (especially compared to the newborn grovias!) Is there something I could get for the in-between stage? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My current stash:

I have
9 grovia newborn AIOs
7 xs fbs pockets
2 newborn little joeys
1 swaddlebees pocket
3 blueberry pocket
1 thirsties pocket
2 thirsties duo wrap sz 1
12 GMD orange prefolds and 3 snappis

Should I get more duo wrap size 1 and some more prefolds?

Should I start getting sizes for bigger babies instead?

For bigger babies:
I also have 3 kawaii baby covers one size
3 kawaii baby pockets one size
6 fuzzibunz one size pockets

I'd love your suggestions!

November 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Fiddlist's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What and how many were in your stash before baby came:
Prefolds (most from a local CD store, also Gerber) flats (Gerber), covers (both varieties of Bummis) and Snappis
what you actually loved to use with baby: loved the nice PFs (used them all the way to potty training as stuffers) hated the Gerber pfs, loved the Gerber flats (still use them...also good stuffers/doublers) and really loved the Bummis cover with the gussets
what you didn't: Gerber prefolds. I don't think they're actually intended for diapering. Too rough!
how many you actually used or needed vs what you had prepared: she probably used 8-12 diapers a day. As a newborn. It gets better. I was washing every other day I think.
how did it go with the umbililcal cord: we really liked the flats at first because we could fold them however we wanted to avoid the cord.
meconium: no issues here.
how often baby needed changing in the first few weeks: 8-12 times. Every time she nursed, and then sometimes you would put a fresh diaper on and as soon as it was in you would hear "SQUIRT!!" those were times i was glad I wasnt paying for sposies!!
how big baby was and what fit and didn't: dd was 7 lbs 12 oz at birth. We used only PFs and flats until 2 months old when we got our first BGOS and FB. So no size issues either.
whether or not stash paid for itself: easily!!! I actually kept track for a while. I figured about 25 cents per sposie, so every time i changed a diaper i put a quarter in a box. Whenever i had enough in the box i would go out and buy a fancy pocket or something! I stopped doing that after a while, but i saved TONS. Even the newborn phase when theyre little for such a short time, if you get PFs and covers or flats, you can keep using the cloth. Youre just out money for the covers. I still use the pfs and flats on my mostly potty trained toddler, when we use cloth at night.
What to read: I just browsed forums like this one! Also, diaperswappers.com is good.

Tags
newborn cloth diapering

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search