Where to Buy/ How to Make PUL Fabric?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
BBKT's Avatar Veteran
Hi,
I'm still very new to the cloth diapering scene, so I think I'm going about this backwards. I have my stash and kits that I bought and feel they are just about complete, and I'm currently making my own OS pockets from the RRP Pattern out of two-layers of cute flannel material. I've currently only bought flannel fabric at Walmart, but am running out of material options. I went to a quilting and fabric specialty store that has TONS of fabric, but was a little disappointed in their flannel selection. I really want to find some polyurithane-lined fabric so I can make covers too. I figured the Walmart employees wouldn't know what I was taking about, so I haven't tried there yet, but I figured at least the specialty fabric store would have a clue. They stared at me blankly when I asked and then told me they've never heard of such a fabric. Really? I've read a lot about PUL fabric on this board and CD-making sites, so I figured it was something I could acquire readily. Am I wrong? Is there a special place to get it or make it? I'm okay with making it myself, but I wouldn't know where to begin. I have some really cute flannel fabrics left that I want to "show off" and not have to cover up with a separate cover. Is it possible to make flannel fabric into PUL?

Thanks!

7/2013
September 10th, 2010, 12:34 AM
BBKT's Avatar Veteran
I was also thinking of using whatever PUL fabric I find as the bottom layer of an insert for my pockets, with a few layers of flannel scraps and washcloths above for absorbancy. That way the baby doesn't soak all the way through the diapers I've made if I don't use a cover with them. Is this a good idea or too much trouble?

7/2013
September 10th, 2010, 04:06 AM
PreciousBunz's Avatar Super Mommy
Pul is a specialty fabric but you can try Joanns .com and Hancocks . com . They have started carrying some colors.

If you really want some great color choices you can purchase your PUL from Diaper supply companies on line...I would google them.

Because I have a business, I purchase mine from fabric coop groups on yahoo. You can join those and the prices are great. You can get a yard for about 5.00 plus shipping. The problem is that you'll have to wait unless the mama who runs the group has some in stock, which is usually the case. You may pay more for stock PUL.

Another option is to purchase Diaper Cuts from the ONline stores. A diaper cut is just that, enough PUL to make one diaper. The benefit is that you can purchase a bunch of different colors and not have a ton of PUL left over.

A yard of PUL can make anywhere from 5-8 diapers , depending on the size you're making. If you wanted a colorful diaper stash, you'd end up with tons of PUL left over.

All the colors you see from FB's and other commercial diaper companies can be purchased.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search