diaper makers, what kind of elastic do you use?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had been using the 1/4" "baby" elastic I get at JoAnn Fabrics, and am very happy with that . . . but to save some $$ I bought in bulk off Very Baby, the 1/4" spool that the website says is very popular for cloth diapers, so I was thinking it would be the same thing. However, I found it is NOT as stretchy . . . it takes 6" to stretch to the same length 4.5" of the JoAnn's elastic gets me. I put together a diaper for Kaiden to try out (when he wakes up ) with the new elastic . . . but I am thinking I won't like the fit and will have to go back to the much more expensive and not in bulk elastic. I do like it for the waist though, better than the super stretchy stuff, so it's not a total loss

What do you like and use??

ETA the stuff I got from Very Baby is Stretchrite Polybraid Elastic, made of 71% Polyester, 29% Rubber.

Last edited by greenchild; November 16th, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
November 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
dang. tried it out on Kaiden, and HATED the fit. Back to the expensive elastic for legs . . . hope I can find it in bulk, that'd be nice!!
November 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM
PreciousBunz's Avatar Super Mommy
I think the elastic from Joann's is usable, although I don't know how long it will last w/ the high-heat washings that cd's need.

Ok, so the elastic from Very baby is good but I think it's what you get use to using. The stretch will differ with each type of elastic.

I buy mine in bulk...by that I mean 144 yards at a time. It comes on a spool and although I don't sell it, I will sometimes sell some to mama's who want to try it. I don't make a profit on it...I'm not into cooping supplies. LOL

Ok I purchase my elastic from CTS USA Wholesale Sewing Supplies, Sewing Thread, Embroidery, Elastic & etc

I think this is the same place where very baby gets theirs. I could be wrong but this is the major supplier for all the coops. This is even cheaper than Very baby.

Here is the rule of thumb for the elastic sizing...

I use 1/4" for sizes Premie, NB and small.
I use 3/8" for sizes Med. and Large.

I hope this helps.
November 16th, 2010, 07:59 PM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have used both the clear elastic and the cotton elastic because it's not as stiff as the poly kind. With the cotton I use 1/4" on the legs and 3/8" on the waist. Hancock sells it on the spool, if you have a coupon it comes out pretty cheap, close to bulk pricing.

I like the clear best, it doesn't leave red marks, but it is harder to stitch blindly between layers because you can't feel it!
November 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks ladies!!! I made a "emergency" run to Joann's last night for the elastic . . . and found out the "baby elastic" is actually the same as swimmer's elastic, meant to be safe for washings up to 200F - just a different color. And who cares what color, it's inside the diaper anyway.

So I was able to get it in bulk . . . I know CTS would be cheaper (I've ordered stuff from there before) but I'd have to pay shipping so I think it evens out since I seem to be at JoAnn's all the time now anyway so I don't count my gas cost. Unfortunately I couldn't get a 144 yd spool at JoAnn's That's what I bought of the other elastic so it will last me a good long time. But the 10 yards I got of the swimmer's elastic will last a good long time too

I know it's all about what you get used to . . . but with my OS design, the less stretchy elastic just does not work, all I get are big leg gaps. I think it would be fine if it were the traditional diaper design though.
November 19th, 2010, 02:24 AM
PreciousBunz's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuJo View Post
I have used both the clear elastic and the cotton elastic because it's not as stiff as the poly kind. With the cotton I use 1/4" on the legs and 3/8" on the waist. Hancock sells it on the spool, if you have a coupon it comes out pretty cheap, close to bulk pricing.

I like the clear best, it doesn't leave red marks, but it is harder to stitch blindly between layers because you can't feel it!
The clear elastic is called "Lastin"...it's good stuff but harder to work with. You also can't just tack it down, You have to Zig zag it. ugh!!

The cotton elastic will cause wicking because cotton will not seal up...unless you're making fitteds then it doesn't make a difference. The only thing is that Cotton elastic will not last as long.
November 19th, 2010, 09:26 AM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousBunz View Post
The clear elastic is called "Lastin"...it's good stuff but harder to work with. You also can't just tack it down, You have to Zig zag it. ugh!!

The cotton elastic will cause wicking because cotton will not seal up...unless you're making fitteds then it doesn't make a difference. The only thing is that Cotton elastic will not last as long.
Lastin is a name brand of elastic, not what it's called. Kind of like calling hook-and-loop tape Velcro, kwim? The one I used most recently wasn't labeled as the Lastin brand but it worked fine, came prepackaged from joanns.

That's interesting about the cotton, I have actually not had any wicking issuess with using it-yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Maybe the way I assemble my diapers is different from yours and that is why?

Last edited by SuJo; November 19th, 2010 at 10:00 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search