brands of prefolds and opinions on my starter stash

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Super Mommy
I'm new to cloth diapering and trying to figure out what to buy for our girls who are due in April. We have decided on thirsties covers and i'm debating between cloth-eez prefolds Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth Diapers or Imagine prefolds Imagine "Smart Fit" Prefold Diapers - Dozen

From what i'm reading the Imagine prefolds are "smart fit" and are shorter and tend to fit better in the covers...but I don't want to end up having them be TOO short! plus with the amount that we will need to do twins, it will save us a lot of money since they are cheaper.

thoughts?

also...here's my starter stash for the twins...keep in mind they will likely be only 6-7lbs.

16 Xsmall Thirsties covers
2 size 1 Thirsties duo covers
4 dozen newborn prefolds
1 dozen small prefolds
4 snappis

We want to do laundry ever other day at least - will this get us by? thoughts on our choices?

thanks!
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)
January 27th, 2012, 11:19 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The list looks pretty good. It should be plenty for you to do laundry every other day. It may be worth considering some x-small pockets or AIOs for overnight changes, but totally not necessary.

I have the Imagine Smartfit PFs and we love them. They carry two lines; Smartfit are trimmed a little shorter, but they have a standard line too. DS is almost 1 year old (although he is a peanut!), but I can still use the NB Smartfits trifolded in a cover or as an insert in a pocket. I was given some more expensive PFs from a friend. They're fine, but for the price difference, I'd go with Imagines again. Never an issue with them.

You will also want some sort of wetbag or hamper set up. I also recommend buying some cloth wipes (or making them, or talking a friend who sews into making them for you!). They are so much better than sposie wipes and have a million uses; small spitups, wiping noses, etc. Getting a few stay-dry liners might be nice too. Those you can easily make yourself by just buying a yard of cheap fleece and cutting it into strips. They're good in case you need to use some rash cream (keeps the cream off the diaper) and can help keep moisture off Baby's skin if that is something that bothers her.

January 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow!!! Kudos to you CDing twins will save a LOT of trash from the landfill!

So first of all, some may tell you not to invest in a prefold only stash before you try more, but I will not tell you that I love prefolds and you will get tons of practice to get your folding just right! I know people love both Imagines and GMDs, I personally used GMD and love them but Imagines are indeed cheaper and not bad quality. I don't think either one would be a bad choice.

I will say though, that covers are different... Some covers just fit better on some babies... I would get maybe 8 of a variety of covers and then order more of what you like best. You might like some at night, some for rashy times, some when you need total bulletproofness, one kind fits best one week, one the next, etc. 16 xsmall thirsties just sounds like a bit much to me. 16 is a great though, it is always good to have plenty of covers, and it will be no problem if your folding isn't perfect and you get a lot of poopy covers!

As far as numbers, 4 dozen nb prefolds sounds about right for newborn twins. You will probably not be able to fit much more than 24-30 diapers in your washer at one time anyway. You want enough to fit in the washer, plus enough to use while the wash is being done, plus a healthy safety margin

Good luck mama and congrats!!!!

January 27th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran
I like Cotton Babies prefolds too, and the newborn ones are $1 with free shipping.

The previous poster is right that not every cover fits every baby well, but I love Thirsties sized covers - the velcro gives a good fit on my skinny baby, and the leg gussets were a must with her newborn poos (she was exclusively breastfed). I still like them, even though we can use other covers with success now.

So I think it looks good! Congrats and good luck!

January 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE my Imagine prefolds. I have the regular line though. They are fantastic. I think you are making a REALLY good decision in only getting 12 of the newborn size. You will be able to get more bang for your buck by getting infant size. You can fold them down to fit baby till they fit them perfectly.

I LOVED my thirsties duo covers in sz 1 way better then the sized ones. However I much prefer the sized covers over the duo sz 2.
January 27th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Looks like a good amount for your stash

I have no experience with American brand Prefolds (I live in New Zealand) so can't really give you any thoughts on those - but the two brands you have mentioned are ones I've heard a lot on here, always spoken about in a positive manner

February 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmom View Post
I'm new to cloth diapering and trying to figure out what to buy for our girls who are due in April. We have decided on thirsties covers and i'm debating between cloth-eez prefolds Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth Diapers or Imagine prefolds Imagine "Smart Fit" Prefold Diapers - Dozen

From what i'm reading the Imagine prefolds are "smart fit" and are shorter and tend to fit better in the covers...but I don't want to end up having them be TOO short! plus with the amount that we will need to do twins, it will save us a lot of money since they are cheaper.

thoughts?

also...here's my starter stash for the twins...keep in mind they will likely be only 6-7lbs.

16 Xsmall Thirsties covers
2 size 1 Thirsties duo covers
4 dozen newborn prefolds
1 dozen small prefolds
4 snappis

We want to do laundry ever other day at least - will this get us by? thoughts on our choices?

thanks!
I am also having twins due in June and plan to cd them from birth but have yet to decide what I want to do. Please update the post when you have your babies and let me know how your thirsties covers & prefolds work for you. I am curious. I have a bunch of random diapers I am going to try and go from there but I really want to do prefolds/covers bc the economical factor.

February 21st, 2013, 06:56 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
Sounds like a great start

I agree with the others, you may want to try a couple different brands of covers, not all fit the same way or the same on every baby. I also agree with maybe investing in a AIO or ai2 or pocket for an over night solution or a lazy moment ( ie when my DH changes a diaper lol)

Good luck mama
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

February 21st, 2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey check the year on this, ladies someone should PM her and see if she will update us!!!

February 21st, 2013, 08:22 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
O wow I didn't even look at the year lol
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

February 22nd, 2013, 03:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
hahaha! Yea apparently I am still stuck in 2012.

February 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Super Mommy
Hi! i did go with pretty much everything i listed here. i ended up converting 1 dozen prefolds into fitteds - which i highly reccommend if you have some sewing skills. but the prefolds angel-folded or tri-folded worked just fine most of the time. the girls wore the diapers for about 3 months and in the end we used the small prefolds or 2 infant prefolds in the diaper to help with absorbancy and to stretch our diapers a bit further.

we have since switched to bestbottoms and love them too! the switch was mostly due to DH. he is their main care provider - i.e. diaper changer and he wanted something easy with the snap in inserts. good luck to you all. ask if you have more questions!

we've been cloth diapering the twins for about 10 months now! wouldn't change to disposables!
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)
February 28th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for updating us!!! You are so awesome I am so glad everything worked out so well for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search