Is making your own cheaper?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
Contemplating baby #2 and would like to know from those you you do-it-yourselfers if you think it's cheaper to make them yourself. I'm looking at the cost difference of making the equivalent of BG Newborn and small AIOs. We really like BGs with hook and loop. I can sew and don't need fancy looking, only functional. I had leaking issues with a lot of other diapers, so I've been skeptical to make my own. I am willing to try but don't want to waste my time and energy and $$$ on some that will maybe work. A lot to ask, but if you've made your own nb or smalls and have a recommendation, I'd love to hear it. And if they saved you money, about how much do you think you saved?

[url=http://lilypie.com]
August 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Depends on how you are "charged" for things. If you factor in your time, nope. Much cheaper to buy. I make my own because I prefer doing it so I know I get latex free diapers. I did the math with the last baby and it costs about $6-7 per diaper (material and shipping since nothing is available local to me) and about an hour to make. Mostly pockets with bamboo/hemp inserts.

If you don't mind all the same color/type of diapers, you can get away cheaper (probably <$4 a diaper) however I find that boring and thus have a nice rainbow of colors.

I bought about 90% of the patterns I use (price averaged from $6-15).

I also haven't found a place to get all the material and supplies from. Thus shipping costs add to the overall costs.

August 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
depends on how talented you are. I know a lot of women that bought materials and had a really hard time putting them together.

August 2nd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
My favorite diapers for my newborn are ones I made myself. They are fitted diapers though and require a cover. To make 8 of them it cost me less than $20. I bought the fabric on sale at Joanns.

I have made pocket diapers for my newborn, they are functional not pretty, but not my first pick. I wish I had more AIO diapers for him. I might change my mind once his cord falls off though.

I have not saved any money buying supplies to make diapers. To recoup the cost I'd have to sell diapers I make, but I'm nowhere near talented enough for that. It does however help my addiction to having multiple patterns for diapers, I buy diaper cuts to save money unless I'm sure I want many of the same kind.

Scarlett Diane

August 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It all depends on how you shop. For example, if you are comparing 24 brand new BGs to 24 homemade pockets with basic materials, minimal waste, etc. Yes, you will save money. I have made a lot of pockets for less than $5 each. Fitteds are even cheaper to make. As a baby gift a couple of months ago, I made 24 fitteds, 4 covers, 2 pockets, and two wet bags for under $60.

On the other hand, homemade diapers can get pricey depending on what you buy. OBV is pricey (but fantastic), some PUL can get pricey too, etc. And there can certainly be deals found on diapers such as buying used, choosing discount brands like Alva, or using PFs.

My stash is a mix of PFs (purchased new), fitteds (homemade), covers (some new, some used and some homemade), pockets (some used and some homemade), and some fleece covers (homemade). I have enough diapers that I could easily have two in diapers (heck, maybe even 3 at this point!), and I've spent about $250 out of pocket. Then again, I am a bargain finding pro!

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search