Dirty Diaper Storage

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you ladies do for a diaper pail? I'd love any and all recommendations!

August 2nd, 2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I use a Fuzzibunz hanging wet bag that hangs off a hook. I have two and rotate them. They get washed with the diapers each time.

August 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I have two wet bags that I hang above the change table (the change table is actually in the closet that has no doors). One is a Fuzzibunz bag that I got used so I don't really know how old it is. The other is a large PlanetWise bag which we bought new. We've been using both for almost 2 years. The Fuzzibunz bag has held up marvelously. One of the straps on the PlanetWise bag ripped off in the washer but it has otherwise held up very well. The strap got tangled up on the agitator in the wash so, if you have a front loader, you won't have the ripping problem.

Wet bags are the way to go. It may seem counter intuitive but you'll have less stink if the diapers can breath. You can put the wetbags in a pail but its best to leave the top off.

August 2nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
That does seem counter intuitive. Do you know what it is that it's best to let the diapers breathe? And doing this doesn't stink up the room?

August 2nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a big plastic diaper pail with holes in it and a lid that also has holes. I suppose it's meant to be a garbage can. It works great because the diapers can "breathe" this way. Sometimes we have a wet bag in, sometimes we don't. I don't find we have a problem with stink either way, except when we were having big problems with ammonia.

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I use a planetwise wet bag (dry) inside a simple human step trash can. It's been great.
August 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
avasmom603's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe
I use a planetwise wet bag (dry) inside a simple human step trash can. It's been great.
That's exactly what I do. I tried a hanging one but much prefer this method.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

10/1/10

August 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
I believe that letting the diapers breathe dries them out a bit, which makes them less hospitable for bacteria that make stinkies. Keeping them in a sealed container just makes them into a breeding ground for bacteria. DD's room starts to smell around day 3-4. It is our "Time to Wash the Diapers" signal. Still, it smells no where near as bad as her wet bag (that's been zipped up tight and sealed in a tupperware container) when it comes home from daycare.

When I was younger, my mom CD'd my little sister. I remember the big vat of stinky diaper pale water in the bathroom. Talk about stink!! I had that in mind when I decided to CD and I was SOOO happy that its now considered better practice to forgo the pale entirely and just let the diapers breathe.
August 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Thought I'd also add that a trash can or hamper will probably work better if you don't have something strong and out of the way to hang the diaper bag from. They get heavy pretty quickly. You also don't really want the wet bag touching something that you can't clean easily. Over time, there miiiight be some leakage even through the PUL of the bag. Hanging works great for us because it gets the bag up and away from the prying noses of the dogs, there's lots of space in the closet, and its conveniently located. I use two strong hangers to hook the diaper bag up on the closet beam.
August 2nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Dirty diapers need ventilation because the stinkiest reactions are anaerobic and so if they are getting oxygen, the aerobic reactions will dominate instead. But they need the ongoing air flow because once the oxygen is used up, the system goes anaerobic.

August 2nd, 2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks, ladies! Lots to think about. Our bathrooms are both pretty small, so I think we'll keep it in the nursery and we don't have a sturdy hook to hang it off of. Maybe a ventilated trash can will be the best option for us.

August 2nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I just have a large wetbag that is open sitting on the floor.

}
August 3rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I have an old stainless garbage can, the kind with a pedal and flip up lid. I have two planet wise pail liners I rotate. Love this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe
This.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
August 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
MrsR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also use a trash can with a flip up lid. I have two Planetwise pail liners that I rotate, they get washed with the diapers. I just pull out the whole liner and dump it into the washer, drop the liner, and close the lid. Works great.

Thank you so much to tasha_mae for my adorable signature!

August 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use a cheap-o Walmart trash can that's lined with a Kissa pail liner. We wash the liner with the diapers (so we have two to rotate).
I was using Planet Wise but after a year they were DONE. They make good dirty clothes bags.

August 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I have a large wet bag I hang on the pole on my playpen changing table. I never zip it up it stays open. When that's being washed I use pail liners I tuck into the parts of the bassinet piece that hangs on the playpen. My house doesn't stink of dirty diapers (the playpen is in my living room), the only time I smell the stink is when I have to pull everything out to wash it all.

Scarlett Diane

August 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmile View Post
We use a cheap-o Walmart trash can that's lined with a Kissa pail liner. We wash the liner with the diapers (so we have two to rotate).
I was using Planet Wise but after a year they were DONE. They make good dirty clothes bags.
Did the PUL start breaking down? I've noticed that mine is getting a wee bit patchy. I've gone through phases of mostly line drying my wetbags/covers/pockets (which I believe helps) but I get lazy about it during monsoon season. I figure its easier to dry in the dryer than worry about forgetting my cloth on the line and having it blow into my neighbor's yard
August 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We also just use a couple of big wetbags and rotate them with the wash.
August 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggersMommy View Post
Did the PUL start breaking down? I've noticed that mine is getting a wee bit patchy. I've gone through phases of mostly line drying my wetbags/covers/pockets (which I believe helps) but I get lazy about it during monsoon season. I figure its easier to dry in the dryer than worry about forgetting my cloth on the line and having it blow into my neighbor's yard

Been there! LOL We only line dry...it's great except when like you said, stuff blows off or even worse I forget I have diapers outside and it starts to rain!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search