Prefolds

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM
The Truth is out There
I'm not entirely sure we'll have the money for all pocket diapers, so I'm looking at doing some prefolds. (I always planned to do some prefolds, but I'm going to do more than I planned originally.)

What would you ladies recommend as far prefolds go? I really only know the basics, but it doesn't seem too hard.
We're going to cloth diaper from the start, so I need ideas for newborn through toddler. I'm also wondering if there are good AIOs for newborns, because I'm not entirely sure how the first few nights are going to go, and I don't want to be trying to use prefolds at 3am (Though, once I start practicing, I might find them super easy. I hope so!)

How many of different sizes did you ladies buy before the baby was born?
I know I don't need to worry about larger sizes right away, but I'm not really sure how fast the average baby grows, so I don't want to wake up one day and find out that the baby doesn't fit in anything we have.

Thanks so much ladies!

August 5th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats and welcome!!!

I used prefolds and covers exclusively for the first few months and loved them. I had 3 dozen GMD newborn size/orange edge and 3 dozen GMD small size/yellow edge. That was PLENTY but my DD was a big mess I could have survived on 2 dozen each but loved having a big error margin in case I was forgetful on wash day! Then I had 2 dozen GMD mediums/reds but at that point started branching out into fitteds and other styles.

My DD was 8 1/2 lb at birth and grew very fast. She has always been at the top of the chart for length/height and has a big booty and always outgrew the rise fast (butt crack showing = poop leak up the back!) She outgrew newborn size in about 5-6 weeks but it was worth it to have a nice fit on her as a newborn. She outgrew smalls around 3 months I think.

If you need to save money you can go for "infant" prefolds in the traditional sizing system. They function just as well as the smart sized ones but will be much bulkier on a newborn.

We always used a jellyroll fold and a snappi with a double gusset aplix/velcro cover like Bummis Super Brite or Thirsties Duo and it was bulletproof!!! Watch videos, practice on stuffed animals, and after a day or two of practice you will be able to do it in your sleep

Good luck and HTH!!!

August 6th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I use mostly prefolds with a few pockets mixed in..in the newborn phase I use the orange edge GMD ones..now since my daughter is almost a yr old I use the econobum and honestly I LOVE it..the cover it "one size" and will fit at around 13 lbs up to 35 or 40..I have some kawaii covers but for some reason she leaks right through them..I used the newborn diapers for quite a while but had my stash of "size ones" on reserve..Definitely invest in a few snappi's..I say a few because I have somehow broken two and lost about 10..LOL..also I'd pick up a pack or two of four sack towels from walmart in case you find yourself running out of diapers..the towels can be used as flats or just pad folded and are super cheap..Good luck..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search