Best value for cloth diapers?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to build up my initial stash to have enough to get me through and want to do that with less expensive diapers, then maybe explore and be more open to more expensive options when I can buy just here and there. I want to stick with one-size diapers.

I've seen good reviews for Alvas, Kawaii, and Sunbaby. Which of these would you recommend and why? There are so many series for the Alvas, so which series of diapers for the Alvas would you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited by Belita; August 7th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
August 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would also recommend looking into Econobum. They are a very basic but simple all-in-two system. I have a couple covers and like them a lot, they are the ONLY one or two size cover that I still have to snap down on my huge DD! I know Jesi on here uses them a lot too. AI2s save money because you can usually reuse the shell a few times unlike pockets where you always wash everything. The shipping will be much faster and the quality and customer service more predictable/satisfaction oriented than ordering China cheapies directly. Just another idea to consider! I don't do stay dry pockets myself so I can't help you on brands but I've heard mixed reviews on all of them, some LOVE them and some hate them or got duds...

August 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Sunbabys! The Alvas and Kawaiis I use for night time use but prefer my Sunbabys. Alva and Kawaii runs really really large compared to the Sunbaby. My DS is almost 2 and weighs about 24 lbs and has only 1-2 snaps showing in the middle of the waist band in the Alvas and Kawaiis. I just can't imagine these fitting a young baby well at all (younger than 9-12 months). The older Sunbabys run smaller but still fit him great with plenty of room to grow.
Either way you can't go wrong IMO bc all options are priced ridiculously well and provide a huge selection of cute prints!
I'd also reccomemd checking out the Sunbaby B/S/T Facebook page. You can get barely used diapers for cheap or find a bigger selection of prints than what's currently available on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

August 7th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
Yep, Econobums are pretty awesome. They are the only things that fit my 32lb toddler without too much fuss. Just trifold the prefold and place it in the liner then snap on the cover, I can usually get away with using only one cover a day with my toddler. The cover's don't quite fit on my newborn yet though. But I've been loving fitted diapers with covers for him, the fitteds don't have velcro or snaps, I use a snappi to close them making them an even better fit for him.

I initially wanted to use just prefolds and covers for my newborn, but I did buy some AIO's for him as well and made several AIO's and fitteds for him. One sized diapers fit him, but I didn't start putting them on him until he was 11 days old when his cord fell off. The BG 4.0 I tried today was wonderful, just very bulky on a newborn (I weighed him so he's maybe 9lbs almost).

I LOVE the fuzzibunz on my newborn, I wish that I had more of them, it truely is a one size diaper. It fits my toddler and my newborn before his cord fell off. They are a bit expensive, but not so much as some and probably well worth it. Though not everyone likes the same kinds.

I also have sunbaby's which work really well with a newborn, but ran a bit small for my toddler when he was 2 1/2 (a year ago). I would recommend them for a cheap solution for cd'ing. I'm currently waiting for my order to be placed for some Alva's, I found a local woman doing a co-op so I can't wait for those to go through. I've used kawaii's, not a huge fan of them for night time, but daytime they are great.

Scarlett Diane

Last edited by Londons Butterfly; August 7th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
August 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have several Kawaii and one Alva. We use the heck out of our Kawaiis; they're just about the only thing DH will use. I really like the Alva a lot too. I have the one with the multicolored snaps, but I don't remember the name of the series. I think if I'm ever in the market for more diapers, I'll look into more Alva.

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.

August 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks, ladies! What about Giraffita? I came across those. They are adorable and a great price, too.

August 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita
Thanks, ladies! What about Giraffita? I came across those. They are adorable and a great price, too.
Never heard of them.

August 7th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Out of those 4, I've only tried Alva. We really like them though! They do run bigger than Sunbaby but that's ok for us because DD is a chunk. She weighed 8kg at 4.5 months (no idea what she weighs now). She's a heavy wetter so I do have to double the inserts; I think when she was teeny tiny 1 would have been enough though. They sell bamboo inserts which are great for that. There aren't huge differences between the series except the double gusset diapers (color snaps). Those ones are great! You don't have to take the insert out because there are two holes and they also adjust down smaller. I *think* they might fit a newborn even. The only downside to those is that they don't have very many colors/prints. Alva also makes newborn dipes now but I've never tried them.

August 8th, 2012, 06:00 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love my Alvas. Sunbaby were good, but mine are pre-sizing and my chunky baby grew out of them! My favorite Alvas are the double gussets (I think they are the C-series, colorful snap diapers) But my regular Alvas are very good too. I want to get some of the newborn ones for our new baby, but I'm waiting to see what we're having first. Also, they are cheap when ordering directly, but the co-op pricing is just amazing!

August 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I started with prefolds and thirsties covers. then when I started pocket diapers I didn't want to invest so I bought china made for about $8 each. When they all leaked, I tried several kinds: thirsties, Rumparoos, BGs, TKCs, FuzziBunz, and a couple others. DH got super frustrated about all the different kinds and especially about snaps. Plus a lot of these just didn't work for us. So we quickly switched to 100% BG OS and AIOs. We have prefolds with Bummis covers I use if I want to use zinc cream, and use motherease OS for nights with a Bummis cover (no leaks ever!).

I just found this awesome calculator to show cost savings. Not only will I have saved over $1,000 over the few of years of CDing I will have done when it's all over, but I'll also end up making 60-100% of my money back by selling my used diapers and supplies in eBay.

MORAL OF THE LOOONG STORY: don't get the cheapest. Get the ones with the best reviews, buy used, and end up saving yourself money and headaches and sleepless wet wet nights.

http://www.diaperpin.com/calculator/calculator.asp

[url=http://lilypie.com]
August 8th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala78

MORAL OF THE LOOONG STORY: don't get the cheapest. Get the ones with the best reviews, buy used, and end up saving yourself money and headaches and sleepless wet wet nights.
I respectfully disagree. What works for one baby and family may not work for the next. BGs are ok on our DS, but certainly aren't my first choice.

OP, I would consider buying a variety of diapers. You just never know what's going to fit best on your baby. There are some companies that offer diaper trials. You spend about $150, they send you a variety of diapers to keep for a couple of weeks. When you're done, send them back and get refunded for all but about $20.

August 8th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~~Shannon~~*

I respectfully disagree. What works for one baby and family may not work for the next. BGs are ok on our DS, but certainly aren't my first choice.
I should have maybe said this differently. I don't mean buy BGs. No diaper works for everyone and there are so many to choose from! Many moms enjoy a wide variety! I tried the cheapest first. This ended up costing me more in the long run since the china cheapies didn't have the same resale value as many other brands do. I sold the leaky cheap diapers at a fraction of what I paid and still had to buy different ones. So my advise was just don't base your choices solely on cost. While some inexpensive diapers do work great, with others you may find that you get what you pay for. I was lucky to find a brand that works for us that I don't pay more that $10 apiece for. My standards are fairly low: fit, no leaks, long lasting. You may find something cheaper that meets your needs! Every mom and baby are different

Good luck and have fun! Beware of the addictiveness of the fluff!!

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Last edited by Lala78; August 8th, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
August 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks! I'm taking a cloth diapering workshop in September so I know that will help some. I also want to find what works and if cheapies work best for us, all the better! I have no problems investing in more expensive diapers if that's what works, but thought I'd start with checking out less expensive options. Everyone's feedback has been so helpful!

August 9th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE my Alva's but I'm going to be getting some Babyland charcoal lined diapers.
I'm part of a coop on fb (join coops if you want GREAT deals!) and everyone who's ordered them sys their the BEST diapers and they always buy more.
Since their charcoal liners are amazing I'm totally going that route.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

August 9th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I ditto buying a couple of each that you're interested in. Then you can buy more once you see what works.

Prefolds + covers are crazy cheap and a good filler/backup to use until you figure out what you want (which might end up being the prefolds) and would keep you from buying a ton of one sizes you don't end up using,
August 9th, 2012, 08:06 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
We use Alvas here. We have the single gusset ones and have no problems, even with my DS who is an explosive pooper (only goes once every 3 days or so) and DD who is a toddler. They do run pretty big but it works with both of my kids who are very different body shapes. DD is short torsoed and fairly skinny for her age and DS is long torsoed and heavy.

I agree that you have to try different diapers until you find the ones that work for your baby.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 9th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks!

I've thought about trying diapers used, but even though I know you can clean them very well so they are perfectly fine, it just skeeves me out a bit. Diapers, mattresses, cribs, pillows, and car seats seem to be my "do not buy used" list!

August 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
Thanks!

I've thought about trying diapers used, but even though I know you can clean them very well so they are perfectly fine, it just skeeves me out a bit. Diapers, mattresses, cribs, pillows, and car seats seem to be my "do not buy used" list!
ITA with you and use to be the same with used CDs, but in order for me to try different types I finally gave in and will now buy used as long as they were well taken care of and most of all: no stains! That's just my own personal preferences. But I have to tell you that I've gotten some great deals on like new diapers by buying "used" or second hand. It's worth looking into!

August 15th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Lauren
Alvas are awesome! I have some that are a minky fabric on the outside and others that are a more traditional PUL fabric. I like both and I've never had issues with wicking or leaking. I don't know how well the fit would be on a newborn, probably not great, but they will serve you well once your LO is no longer teeny tiny.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search