How good are homemade prefolds?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By babybatax2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I'm thinking about making some simple prefolds and possibly some fitteds out of t-shirts(from a pattern in the sub-forum) just for fun. I'm wondering though if anyone knows if they will be worth the effort. Will they even stand a chance of actually absorbing anything? Have any of you made any of these? I'm just really excited to CD and I'm off til I deliver in December. Also, my mom could help me if I get stuck. What do you all think?
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 12th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh, they will work. They will be absorbent. Will they be worth your time for the money saved? For me, the answer is a resounding NO because I am a very slow and amateur seamstress and regular prefolds are very cheap. Real prefolds are made from a more durable fabric (twill) than most T shirt fabric (thin jersey) and last forever. However, it could be a really fun project and if you have some T shirts in fun colors, you could get some cute diapers out of it, so don't let me dissuade you!

August 12th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks! I would not be doing it for cost savings at all. You are so right, they're cheap to buy. I just have a TON(or more lol) of old clothes that could use a new life(or a garbage can!) so why not...but only if they work. I'm not THAT great at sewwing either but my mom is a seamstress and can sew anything so if I need help, she's there. She made my baby a quilt in one afternoon...Oh to have that talent! Thanks for the info and if anyone else has input, do share!
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 12th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Super Mommy
I agree. I made one prefold from one of my old tshirts because I had it laying around and it works great. I still keep a few tshirts to turn into diapers instead of donating them with the rest of my old clothes. But overall I prefer to make things that save me money, like fitteds or wool covers.

I say go for it. It's fun making something for your baby, and making prefolds is a great way to start since it's not very complicated. I'm terrified to make her clothes, but I can do diapers because I think to myself, "So what if I mess up? It's for her to poop on." Have fun!

August 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM
lol so true! Thanks for the advice! If you know of any good patterns I'd appreciate them. I found a site for making the dipes but the wool cover patern link is broken. I'm figuring on making wipes also. So exciting!
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wipes are super easy, and I can't sew well at all! I used old receiving blankets!

I think I'm going to try the t-shirt prefolds!!
Gripstress likes this.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
August 15th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Good to know! I got some super-cute pink tie-dye and grey tie-dye flannel today so I'm going to give it a shot. Just need to figure out how to use my serger lol
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search