Prepping new dipes

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
They are here!!! And they are all sooo cute.

I'm reading the directions on the BG 4.0's and it says to prep, wash hot 3 - 5 times. Is that just for the inserts? Do I really need to wash the covers that many times? The Flip inserts don't say anything, but I'm assuming just throw those in with the BG inserts and my Indian cloth prefolds and wash them all 3-5 times hot?

Last edited by Leanne78; August 15th, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
August 15th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pics, pics, pics!!!!

I have no clue about the washing, I was going to ask this same question in October when I do all my baby laundry!

August 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I'm getting ready to take pics of everything. My DH even thought they were cute (showed him at lunch) and was acting totally on board which is not usual for him. He did say he gives me 60 days before I want to go back to disposable although he's hoping it works out too. Still waiting for my Newborn BG's. They are supposed to be delivered today too. I just need to get out and pick up some detergent. I have a front loader and can't use the sample BG detergent powder they sent me.

August 15th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For prepping, you need to separate out your cotton stuff like prefolds or organic Flip inserts, from your synthetics like pocket shells, covers, microfiber inserts, and stay dry Flip inserts. It is only the cotton (or hemp or bamboo) stuff that needs to be washed on hot 3-5 times. This is to get out the natural oils in the new fabric, which keep it from being fully absorbent! Do these washes SEPARATELY from your other diaper stuff to prevent the oils from transferring/depositing on your other diapers.

The synthetic materials like microfiber should not need more than a regular wash to get out the factory odors, they are good to go! Hope that helps!

August 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Looks like the only thing I have that is cotton then is the prefolds. The flip inserts and the BG inserts are both 80% Polyester, 20% Nylon. I wonder why they tell you to wash them so many times then on the instructions. I'm more than happy not to wash and dry 5 times!

August 16th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Lauren
I think the covers need to be washed and dried only once to seal the laminate part of the fabric. After that initial dry cycle covers should be line dried- don't worry they dry fast this way Microfiber stuff probably only needs one wash cycle. So the prefolds are the only thing that needs much prepping.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search