Should I CD in the hospital...please help.

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I am having a c-section and will stay in the hospital as long as they will have me...so 3-5 nights. Should I CD while there? I have alot of prefolds so I'm ok on that front but would it be stupid to go home with a huge bag of dirty diapers when they will provide disposables while there? I am very anxious to start the cloth ASAP but I wonder what is the smart thing to do here. What do you think I should do? What would you do? Please share your experiences. Thanks!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 24th, 2012, 01:48 AM
berryblue031's Avatar Mathias' Super Mommy!
Honestly I would just use sposies in the hospital, 5 days worth of cloth diaper supplies is a lot (going with the avg newborn count of 12 per day) so you have to lug that around and have that many dirty diapers in a bag in your room.

Depending on how your birth goes it could also be the nurses or family changing diapers for you.

Mathias: Born Nov 10 2009 weighing in at: 9lbs 2oz & 22inches (4150g 54cm)

Anna Elizabeth: Born Aug 24 2012 weighing in at: 8lbs 6oz & 20.5inches (3795g 52cm)
August 24th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Unless you have someone who can bring them home and wash them every other day or so I wouldnt. Youre already recovering from a C-section so i would do sposies to keep it simple

we did CD both my boys from birth, but i was only in the hospital for 21-22 hours after my oldest was born and my 2nd was a home birth

August 24th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I want to say yes, do it. But if you are staying for 3-5 days it would be rough, especially recovering from a c-section. Maybe do disposables for the first day or two until you can move around better, then use cloth. That way you have less to wash when you get home and you can figure out your limits before you start.

Scarlett Diane

August 24th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I believe in letting people help you as much as possible in the immediate postpartum stage so you can just focus on recovering, resting, and bonding with baby, and if I were you I would just let the hospital staff use their hospital sposies and start cloth when you get home. I didn't start cloth with M until day 5 or so just because I was letting other people do all the diaper changes until then. I don't regret it at all. I didn't have a c-section either, but I had an epidural that took forever to wear off and a big tear, and was very focused on establishing the breastfeeding relationship.

Everybody is different and many do cloth in the hospital but I don't feel like it is a top priority, at least for me.

August 24th, 2012, 10:20 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you plan on staying that long I wouldn't! I could have easily used CDs with DS's c/s but I was discharged after 36 hours. I probably could have kept up with washing most days that first month. Then again, once untied with DS after surgery I did all of his diaper changes anyway.

I do plan to use CDs this time around in the hospital, but if it doesn't happen that's okay. Definitely ranks well below establishing BFing, recovery, and well my sanity.

August 24th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I'm going to bring a few with me, but if I was going to be there for 5 days, I wouldn't even try. I know how many diapers now that Akadia goes through with cloth and it would probably be even worse with a newborn. I may just wait until I get home even with my 2 day stay.

August 24th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Thank you very much for your honest feedback. I know disposables can be the "devil" (lol) but it seems to just make sense to wait. I too thought about waiting a couple of days to start, while still being in the hospital, but 3-5 days just seems like too much laundry & dipes to haul around. So I'll either wait til day 3 or until I get home. I like to change the diapers myself after surgery and consider it part of the bonding but may not be able to. Last time I was up within 2 hours but who knows this time around. I too will be establishing breastfeeding so it just makes sense. Thanks!
Londons Butterfly likes this.
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are only in hospital for 2 days for c-sections here (if all goes well) so I opted not to bring cloth. However if I was in there for 5 days I probably would. Just because with my planned c-section I felt great and would be super bored in hospital after 2 days. I would just send a small bag of them home with DH or something to wash

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
August 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I like to stay and get all the help I can get...especially with stairs at home. I just don't see dh going home(about 25-30 minute drive) & washing/drying diapers. It would be about a 4 hour trip with driving & laundry. He won't want to do that

Leanne-If I were you I'd wait too. With Akadia's diapers & the baby's diapers you'd be looking at 4+ days of laundry when you get home. You'll have your hands full enough! I only have older kids myself...7, 10(will be 11 when baby is born), & 17 so they can even help to.

Thanks again ladies!
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

September 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I used cloth from the beginning, but I was only in the hospital for 2 days. If I was going to be there longer I would have used sposies and I only lived about 3 minutes from the hospital! although my husband was bored out of his mind and would have loved an excuse to go home for a few hours!
Gripstress likes this.

September 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As someone who had a C-section and an extremely difficult recovery, I would strongly suggest you wait until you are fully recovered to start CDing. I say this because it was a good two weeks before I could care for myself much less do laundry. If you fully trust your DH to cloth your new baby and laundry the dipes correctly then maybe you'd be fine starting from day one. But if I knew I was having another C-section I would absolutely wait until I was recovered, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Gripstress likes this.

September 2nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No, I don't think it is fair to ask that the nurses add to their already over-worked schedules by trying to figure out how to use your cloth.
8miraclez likes this.
September 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrowe70 View Post
No, I don't think it is fair to ask that the nurses add to their already over-worked schedules by trying to figure out how to use your cloth.
I agree that you shouldn't CD in the hospital, but I can't figure out why in the world the nurses would have more work because someone else is trying to get the hang of cloth? That makes absolutely no sense to me.
Pageturner likes this.
September 3rd, 2012, 08:41 PM
Pageturner
I agree with the above poster...you should do what you feel is best for your baby. I'm not giving birth in a hospital but if I were, I would rather not expose my newborn child to the nasty chemicals in disposables. I don't think nurses do a ton of the changing anyway, and this is about you and your child first and foremost. You pay all that money to give birth at that hospital, you should diaper your child just how you want to.
September 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah, aside from the first diaper(maybe!), the nurses have never changed my baby's diapers anyway. I always do it, c-section or not. I also think they can help me if need be. I know they are busy but I think if I need help, I should be able to get it. God knows I pay plenty to have my babies! The nurses always love me anyway hehe
Pageturner likes this.
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

September 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
i use sposies at the hospital. it's just easier. my little girl was in special care for a few days and they weighed her diapers. Cloth just wouldn't work.

September 5th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Thank you!
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

September 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yea, my daughter was in the NICU for 4 days, so CD in there wouldn't have worked. I am glad we waited until we got home and I got healed up from the c section.
September 6th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I also had my last one in the NICU so I understand how that would not have worked. I'm thinking after 2 days or so I will start the cloth while still in the hospital and if need be, I can have dh wash the dipes with my directions when we get home. He's a fairly smart dude so I think it'd be ok. lol
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search