Drying to "seal" the laminate?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I've read a few places that when you wash your dipes for the first time, you should dry them on high to seal the laminate? Is that true? I swear I read somewhere else along the line that that was not true. I've been line drying mine from the start so now I'm wondering if I should have dried them or not. I haven't had any leaking issues with any of them. What do you ladies do?

August 29th, 2012, 07:12 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard the same thing, but just from one person. It says to line dry the diaper covers, so I haven't dried them.
August 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dry them on hot every time! Too lazy not to... but uhhhh, yeah, it is to keep the PUL sealed

It might not matter for commercial covers but I have seen WAHM covers come with that instruction, and I know it's important to do if you sew your own.

August 29th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I sew my own, so I always wash mine after making them to get the dust and thread and whatnot off of the diaper before using them. Then I dry them on hot (I always do), I need a clothes rack so I can sun my diapers (not allowed to have a line in base housing). Well after this week once the weather gets better.

Scarlett Diane

August 30th, 2012, 12:06 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
keep in mind there are different quality levels for PUL. The lesser quality PUL's, drying them in the dryer will delaminate them. The better quality PUL's are meant to be dried on hot in the dryer. I've had both, so some covers get line dried and some get dried in the dryer. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to know which you have unless it comes with specific washing/drying instructions.

From experience:

Bigger brand names:

Thirsties - dryer safe

Bummis - dryer safe

BG's - dryer safe

PUL from different suppliers:
from Babyville - dryer safe. Might delaminate, but no worries. That lining even when loose is pretty bullet proof!

from Kids in the Garden - many people have had great success with them, but I bought an end-of-roll remnant and it delaminated in the first trip thru the dryer. Ruined that cover, and the rest made with it are line dryed ONLY.

from Celtic Cloths - advertised as industrial, meant for the dryer. Have not personally tried it.

Fabrite was great but they are no longer in business.

HTH!!!
August 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchild View Post
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to know which you have unless it comes with specific washing/drying instructions.

BG's - dryer safe
The BG's I have say to line dry the covers and dry the insert. Are you saying that it's safe to dry all of the BG parts in the dryer?
August 30th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingfornumber1

The BG's I have say to line dry the covers and dry the insert. Are you saying that it's safe to dry all of the BG parts in the dryer?
She is saying, in her experience, yes. Many companies have "cover your butt" washing instructions that say they must be treated like delicate golden lace (washed warm in special detergent and air dried etc), despite the vast majority of diapers holding up just fine to extra hot washing, Tide, modest use of bleach when disinfection is required, hot machine drying, etc. However, you need to be careful not to stretch the elastic while it is hot and dry, that wears it out quickly. You need to wait until they are cooled down to stuff the pockets. Hth!

August 30th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks a lot. I will try it with a few diapers and see if it works for me. I'd love to be able to throw it all in the dryer instead of separating the inserts and covers.
September 1st, 2012, 09:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I line dry my covers most of the time but I throw them in when they are leaking. I might just start throwing them in as is with the info greenchild posted.

September 2nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I almost always dry mine in the dryer, and no issues so far!
September 2nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
altho when I dry my covers I always dry on "delicate" (a low heat) setting, just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

September 3rd, 2012, 12:45 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I make my own diapers, maybe a couple commercial ones. Everything gets washed together, then everything gets dried on high heat. I have only had one pul delaminate and I knew it might have problems before I used it. It does help to seal the pul around the stitching, but if they don't leak, then you don't Have to dry them. Just know you Can.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
September 7th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Drying in the dryer just decreases life of the elastic and PUL. If you want to use for 2-3 babies, I'd line dry when possible.

irst wash should be done on hot to seal the sewing. After that, normal (medium) is safe. I always line dry mine unless it's raining out. I find the sun gets rid of any stains and definitely prolongs the life of them. I have FB that are now 9 years old and both PUL and elastic are still working great whereas someone people only get 1 child out of them.

September 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I have melted pul items in the dryer on medium. Now I hang all my pul to dry. Then i tumble them on low to soften them up. I think my dryer is too hot.

September 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL, I forgot to add - check your dryer too! If your dryer has exposed metal like mine does (showing silver rather than the white) if your diaper covers have any exposed PUL like Thirsties Duo Wraps do on the inside- put them in a mesh laundry bag for drying if you're going to use the dryer. I've had mine melt ONTO the dryer.
September 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM
r&lsmama
I dry mine for 15 minutes
October 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dry all my diapers (a mix of homemade, BG, FB, some WAHM, Kawaii and a few others). I line dry on rare occasions. When I think of it, I'll pull covers and pockets from the dryer after 30 minutes or so, but I don't sweat it. I've had two PUL issues ever. One was an FB with known supply issues. It was replaced by FB. The other was a BG with cracked PUL. I think that one was just a fluke. I have another BG that's been washed and dried the same and has no problems.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search