New to CDing... Lots of Qs.

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I apologize - this will be kind of long.

So far I have four small gdiapers with five pouches and no cloth inserts, two medium gdiapers with two pouches and no inserts, 9 or so pre-folds, and 8 OS pockets with one insert each.

I'm not sure where to go from here...

I was originally planning to use mostly gdiapers with cloth inserts but at this point I don't know... I think they would be easier - especially since DH wants to use disposable inserts with them when we travel over the holidays - but feel like investing in some more prefolds and OS pockets might be the more financially responsible answer.

Anyone who has used gdiapers before - did you need the newborn size or were you able to start off with smalls? How long did your LO stay in each size?

The pockets look like they'd be too big and bulky for the first couple months - especially since little babies run in my family - so I'm trying to figure out the most logical choice for those first couple months. DH wants to buy the gdiaper starter bundle because it comes with newborn diapers, small diapers, and disposable inserts. I just can't seem to justify to myself spending $150 on diapers that might only last a couple months... Since I already have 4 small gdiapers, could I skip the newborns (I've heard that some babies are born too big for them and others outgrow them within a couple weeks) and just get a couple more smalls and some inserts?

I'm guessing that by the time he outgrows the smalls, the OS pockets and the prefolds should work OK and at that point I might just get some covers for the pre-folds and some more OS diapers...

Any suggestions would be wonderful because I'm starting to feel very overwhelmed, lost, and in a hurry regarding getting my stash together.

EDIT: I am also interested in possibly making my own CDs and wipes but am not sure where to start/how to do it.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

Last edited by 1InSummerland; September 4th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
September 4th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No experience with gDiapers. But to get the biggest bang for your buck I'd strongly suggest using infant prefolds with covers for the first few months of baby's life and then switching to OS pockets that will grow with your baby until they're potty trained.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

September 5th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
^^ ditto. Infant prefolds and Thirsties Duo covers is the cheapest. If you want to use fewer covers (5 instead of 10), get a pack of snappis and search Youtube for "angel wing prefold" and "jelly roll prefold" to learn to fold. It is quite easy when you get the hang of it and really holds the poop in so your covers stay clean.

In general, gdiapers with disposable inserts are the most expensive diapering option out there. I have personally never used gdiapers because they seem too complicated (3 parts that all need separate washing routines) and are pricey to boot. I prefer Flips for hybrids and I have used Grovia as well. You know you can just buy any brand of disposable hybrid insert (g, Flip, or Grovia) and lay it in a cheap cover like a Thirsties Duo or Flip or even a pocket shell and it works just as well! No need to buy into an expensive system.

Hope that helps!

September 6th, 2012, 08:51 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the input, ladies. I talked to DH about it and he really, really wants to use disposables or disposable inserts for our holiday road trips - we'll be driving from VA to TX and back in November and from VA to KY and back in December - because he thinks it will be more convenient. To compromise, we've agreed on buying a pack or two of disposable inserts for when we travel and finish off our stash with prefolds and covers. Which leads me to another question:

What brand of prefolds do you recommend? All I seem to be able to find anywhere are Gerber prefolds and I've heard not so great things about them.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

September 8th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Pageturner
if you don't have a local store, go to Cloth Diapers, Cloth Diaper Covers, bumGenius, Bummis, Kissaluvs and MORE from the top Ranked Online Cloth Diaper Store, Bippy diapers Sarasota, FL Cloth Diaper Resource, NickisDiapers.com: Cloth Diapers, Babywearing, Nursing, or any other CDing website...they have cotton prefolds that are supposedly way better than gerber. I have heard that Gerber prefolds are crappy. I'm new to the CDing world myself, but the local store owners I purchase from advised me to do this:

If you plan on doing diaper wash every 2 days, you need 24-30 prefolds, 2-3 covers, and snappis. They also suggest getting 2 or 3 pocket diapers for nighttime, since they are a bit more absorbent and the fleece layer wicks away moisture so they won't be as likely to wake up in the night due to being wet. They suggested getting newborn covers, and then getting one-size covers for the rest of diapering.
September 8th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The best prefolds for your money are Diaper Rite or Imagine (from Nicki's). Green Mountain Diapers is the gold standard but they are more expensive and they only have sized ones, not the traditional infant/premium/etc ones that fit longer but are bulkier because you need to fold them down. I recommended the infant (traditional) size because it will be cheaper than buying both newborn and small sizes in the sized/"smart fit" kind. Morgan P is right, if you don't have a real cloth diaper store locally, you need to order them online. Gerber prefolds are filled with a nonabsorbent polyester batting and don't hold much at all, but real 4x8x4 ply cotton twill prefolds hold a lot and work great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search